Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I do want to point out that doesn't necessarily mean that the NATO response to Russian cyberwarfare will be "kinetic" in nature.

True, but I could see Russia responding to a cyber counter-attack with a kinetic response haha

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's becoming somewhat clear that elements of the Russian military really don't have the heart or stomach for this operation, and that's something that should be exploited by Ukraine/NATO creatively.

For example, an idea that I just had was to flood Russian military communication nets with an offer for any Russian units that really don't want to be part of this to cease their advances and hold in position -- not to withdraw from the territory they currently hold, but actually just sit tight right where they are.  In exchange for this, NATO would act as a protective/buffer force between those units and any other Russian units that may decide to attack them.  Hell, the NATO force would act as a buffer against Ukrainian forces who would do the same, but this plan would be naturally coordinated with the Ukrainian government first so I doubt that would be an issue.

I'm well aware this this plan is probably/definitely completely unfeasible, but this is the type of thinking that SHOULD be happening in Washington, London, Paris, and Berlin in order to exploit what genuinely appears to be a reluctance of Russian commanders (at least at the field level) to really press this thing.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's becoming somewhat clear that elements of the Russian military really don't have the heart or stomach for this operation, and that's something that should be exploited by Ukraine/NATO creatively.

For example, an idea that I just had was to flood Russian military communication nets with an offer for any Russian units that really don't want to be part of this to cease their advances and hold in position -- not to withdraw from the territory they currently hold, but actually just sit tight right where they are.  In exchange for this, NATO would act as a protective/buffer force between those units and any other Russian units that may decide to attack them.  Hell, the NATO force would act as a buffer against Ukrainian forces who would do the same, but this plan would be naturally coordinated with the Ukrainian government first so I doubt that would be an issue.

I'm well aware this this plan is probably completely unfeasible, but this is the type of thinking that SHOULD be happening in Washington, London, Paris, and Berlin in order to exploit what genuinely appears to be a reluctance of Russian commanders (at least at the field level) to really press this thing.

To expedite this plan offer them EU citizenship. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For example, an idea that I just had was to flood Russian military communication nets with an offer for any Russian units that really don't want to be part of this to cease their advances and hold in position -- not withdraw, but actually just sit tight right where they are.  In exchange for this, NATO would act as a protective/buffer force between those units and any other Russian units that may decide to attack them.  Hell, the NATO force would act as a buffer against Ukrainian forces who would do the same, but this plan would be naturally coordinated with the Ukrainian government first so I doubt that would be an issue.

I'm well aware this this plan is probably completely unfeasible, but this is the type of thinking that SHOULD be happening in Washington, London, Paris, and Berlin in order to exploit what genuinely appears to be a reluctance of Russian commanders (at least at the field level) to really press this thing.

EU citizenship and $10k per Russian defector plus bonuses and pension to the officers and NCOs that organize it. 

• Sicko 3

6 minutes ago, Comet said:

To expedite this plan offer them EU citizenship. 

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

EU citizenship and $10k per Russian defector plus bonuses and pension to the officers and NCOs that organize it. 

Sure - why not?

I really do genuinely think there are ways to end this thing that don't involve a whole lot more killing AND work to undermine Putin at the same time.

I truly think NATO should extend a membership offer to Ukraine now if they could work out some deal for Zelensky to not invoke Article 5 immediately. 

Again, wildly unrealistic. But it's what my heart wants. 

At the protest I attended, most people were calling for actions from kicking Russia out of SWIFT to instituting a NATO No Fly Zone over Ukraine. 

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Based on that map, I remain THOROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED by Russia's battlefield performance.

And likewise, I think Russia's main objective with all this was more in line with my early predictions rather than reinforcement/retaking of the entirety of the Donbas. I think the plan was always going to be to demilitarize Ukraine and oust Ze. That's what these pushes show. 

• Ukraine 1

7 minutes ago, Comet said:

I’m sure the Russians are frustrated this I’d all they’ve been able to do 

It's probably some combination of that's all they've been able to achieve because of heroically stiff Ukrainian resistance and unit-level/field-level commanders "slow walking" their operations because they're just not sold on this thing at all.