Really like FF7 Remake BUT..

eventide11

Playing it is like swimming in cold syrup. So much of the 'playing' seems like it's there to artificially make it a 40 hr game. Ridiculously slow animations for climbing a ladder, opening a door, sliding past something, climbing under something, slowly walking for no reason in particular only to be slowly turning you around because it refuses to let you get too far away from a story element. They REALLY want you to take this game in like a fine wine in sips or something when it comes across more like smoking a cheap sh*tty cigar than anything. The combat and decent story is about the only saving grace so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

Playing it is like swimming in cold syrup. So much of the 'playing' seems like it's there to artificially make it a 40 hr game. Ridiculously slow animations for climbing a ladder, opening a door, sliding past something, climbing under something, slowly walking for no reason in particular only to be slowly turning you around because it refuses to let you get too far away from a story element. They REALLY want you to take this game in like a fine wine in sips or something when it comes across more like smoking a cheap sh*tty cigar than anything. The combat and decent story is about the only saving grace so far. 

The game is literally in quick sand

Can’t say it ever bothered me. The worst parts of that were the shimmy around wall sections, but those were tolerable and clearly there to mask loading.  Slow walking sections are a trend nowadays, and while I dislike it, I don’t think FF7R is anywhere close to being the worst offender.  I remember the hand crank tunnel being a bit of a time filler as well, but nothing too bad.

I just finished FFIX today.  Got a lot of good things to say about it, but it really put into perspective how much worse the series was at respecting your time.  It’s roughly 15 seconds from the point encounters triggers to your first action.  They must have dialed the random encounters back just because players couldn’t stand it.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah but despite all that it’s still fucking awesome. The combat is spectacular. 

I do seriously enjoy the combat. And the characters are more likeable and despicable than I remember from 24 years ago (damn I'm old). Just wish SE knew how to open up games more while also having a story to tell. 

13 hours ago, eventide11 said:

I remember like bashing chests with your sword and then an absurdly long put away animation from cloud before you can start moving again. There are times where the combat really frustrated me as well, but i attributed most of that to I suck.

I ended up feeling it was all worth it by the end, but those little things really hampered the experience for me as well. 

58 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

These are the in-depth critiques I come to these forums for!

It was the end of my break at work so I couldn't go into detail. Also, while I played FF7 I was drinking at that time. So maybe the issues that were mentioned in the thread didn't bother me so much because I was under the influence. I just recall enjoying the combat and story. 

I may revisit the game now that I'm sober. :p

Now that I have beaten Mortal Shell    

Also jumping into this game this weekend. It being a ps+ game saved me another 60 bucks! I did play it to the first boss and stopped couple weeks ago, hoping this time I get my teeth into it.