Just how common do you think pedophilia is?

Fizzzzle

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

October 1 was the cutoff, now I think it's more like Sept 1. I'm thinking there was only one kid in my class who had a Sept birthday. Kids are 14 their freshman year or they're turning 14 right after it starts. So grade 9 is 14/15 and grade 12 is 17/18.

Wait what, I was born in November and was the second youngest kid in my class. I think November 30th was the cut off because the youngest kid was a girl born on November 30th. But then I have an old friend who was born a week before me in Michigan and she was in the class after me. Guess it varies by state or did almost 40 years ago. I entered my senior year at 16 and graduated at 17.

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Wait what, I was born in November and was the second youngest kid in my class. I think November 30th was the cut off because the youngest kid was a girl born on November 30th. But then I have an old friend who was born a week before me in Michigan and she was in the class after me. Guess it varies by state or did almost 40 years ago. I entered my senior year at 16 and graduated at 17.

I guess it's something that could vary by state. Nov 30 seems really late, though.

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

Thankfully I've never been abused. I was an alter boy, too. My sister was raped at 16 so that counts I guess. That was really tough on her and still is. From what I read and seen pedophiles don't change behavior regardless of the help they seek. It's a sickness. It's disgusting and sad all at the same time.

Can they seek help? I haven't been keeping up with the workings of organizations like NAMBLA, but I vaguely recall a discussion years ago where my mom said something to the effect of doctors being required to inform the police immediately if someone admitted to being a pedophile. I was always under the impression that you're either a closet pedophile or basically in prison.

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Can they seek help? I haven't been keeping up with the workings of organizations like NAMBLA, but I vaguely recall a discussion years ago where my mom said something to the effect of doctors being required to inform the police immediately if someone admitted to being a pedophile. I was always under the impression that you're either a closet pedophile or basically in prison.

They can seek help but it is not easy to access. Most don't seek help because of the social stigma that will go against them. It's a mental illness that from what I read can't be fully rehabilitated. They feel stuck being attracted to children. I was doing more reading on this after I got off the forum last night. It sounds as though a majority are born with this so it's difficult to handle in so many ways. 

It's very serious and my sister never fully healed from her rape. She told me once about it one night when we were having very personal discussions.

For me, there were definitely SERIOUSLY awkward moments being an alter boy. BUT, I think me always being really close by to my twin brother distrupted any plans the priest had for one of us. I grew up in a catholic school for 8 years. I'd LOVE to know how many priest's we had that were pedophiles. One got caught that was around my older brother. We never know if my older brother was abused. We think he was for numerous reasons. He was a cutter, lifted weights heavy early on (I think for protection) and other things that have been brought up in the past.

Anyway. I can't sleep hence while I'm rambling but pedophiles suck and they ruin innocent lives.

I don't know enough about the subject to give a real opinion other than I sort of find the claim "can't be rehabilitated" rather dubious. I don't ever recall hearing any serious long-term studios of pedophilia or even attempted treatments. It comes across to me as something we stigmatize so hard that it's basically automatically a crime and "pedophile" is treated as a word closer to "murder" than "alcoholic" or "schizophrenic" or something like that.

As a father and as the oldest of 9 siblings, child predators have always made my blood boil, but at the same time when I actually stop to think about it, I imagine the way society treats the subject might actually be having an overall negative effect. On the other hand, just thinking about those stories where a kid's own goddamn mother sells them out to some pervert makes me see red. It's one of those topics where I feel like I can't ever really ever have an objective opinion.

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

Absolutely 

I wonder if there just genuinely are less women pedophiles or if it’s just not reported or documented as much because society treats them differently than a male predator (or a bit of both?).

For example: male teacher has sex with underage student and people go “What a sick fuck! Poor kid. Lock him up.”

Female teacher has sex with underage student:

Approve South Park GIF

I'm sure that has something to do with it and the phenomenon is probably underreported, but you really don't see many cases of true female pedophiles, as in adult women preying on prepubescent children.

But the double standard you're speaking of certainly exists and it's sick.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't think so. He's got some cringey views regarding women, but that seems as far as it goes.

Ah okay, that was my take away as well - thank you. :)

I'm honestly more concerned with the racism and voting for Trump in 2020 than the cringey stuff with women (though that's not great either). And the Netflix remote thing, if that happened.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I remain confused - is best a pedophile or not?

I'm absolutely not a pedophile in anyway. My voting should have remained with me and I shouldn't have commented on that at all. I'm also not racist but have said stupid shit in the past. Mostly immature joking on discord. I apologize for commenting on my voting posts.

Anyway, yea, no worries dude I'm not a monster lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm absolutely not a pedophile in anyway. My voting should have remained with me and I shouldn't have commented on that at all. I'm also not racist but have said stupid shit in the past. Mostly immature joking on discord. I apologize for commenting on my voting posts.

Anyway, yea, no worries dude I'm not a monster lol. 

Makes sense, appreciate the follow up! :)

My favorite best moment was when he asked in the AC thread what people thought of the music theme of the game. When legend asked what the theme was, best copy and pasted a synopsis of the game. It's one of the funniest things I've ever read in a message board in my life. Kudos to him as he totally owned up to it, but it's still fucking hilarious.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

My favorite best moment was when he asked in the AC thread what people thought of the music theme of the game. When legend asked what the theme was, best copy and pasted a synopsis of the game. It's one of the funniest things I've ever read in a message board in my life. Kudos to him as he totally owned up to it, but it's still fucking hilarious.

That was amazing.

5 hours ago, Rachel said:

yup @best3444please confirm for @Greatoneshere

Yep. @Greatoneshere When I first got my OLED a few years back I was curious about Netflix. I think I asked how I can access it and everybody said my fucking $3K tv....

I look down at the other remote I barely used (used another basic controller to turn my TV on and the inputs) and in big RED letters was "Netflix" as one of the button options. I felt stupid but it is what it is. I lost my tech savy back in high school when I used to make home movies with VHS. Like literal movies with cuts, music etc.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe said:

Yea that was a good one, too. I love the main theme from Valhalla when it just starts playing in a beautiful lush environment. But yea, I copied and pasted the story for Legend thinking he was wondering what the main story was about. 

I'm a pretty intelligent guy outside of the Internet. Oh well.

If you find prepubescent people sexually attractive, you have a mental disorder (commonly called pedophilia but definitions are dictated by usage). If you're an adult and you find post-pubescent people sexually attractive, you're normal, even if they're under 18. If you're an adult and you have relations with post-pubescent people under 18, you're probably a fucked up, abusive person. If you're an adult and you spend too much time expressing your attraction to post-pubescent people under 18 or much younger than you, that's really creepy imo.