Anyone using a case they recommend?

Fizzzzle

I'm doing a full rebuild, and I wasn't going to buy a new case, but... shit, since we're here anyway, why not?

I've been using a HTPC/ITX case for a few years now. I love it, it works great, it's small, etc. The only issue is that you basically have to take the whole fucking thing apart any time you want to do anything other than swap out the GPU. It's kind of a pain in the ass. Not to mention when a case gets small enough, cable management eventually goes out the window. I basically have to stuff all the extra cabling into what would be the disc drive bay.

Also it seems right now is basically just the worst time to buy a new GPU? I'm seeing fucking 1080's selling for $600-700. Those came out 5 years ago.

I might build the rest of the stuff and wait until the market checks its goddamn self before buying a GPU, this shit is  insane.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Also it seems right now is basically just the worst time to buy a new GPU? I'm seeing fucking 1080's selling for $600-700. Those came out 5 years ago.

I might build the rest of the stuff and wait until the market checks its goddamn self before buying a GPU, this shit is  insane.

Overall it's a terrible time to buy most PC hardware. If you can find parts they are overpriced and there is the whole direct draw reality looming for PC. Once Direct draw is in place at the OS and eame engine levels, you will really want to have a PCIe 4.0 Mobo and PCIe 4.0 NVME to take advantage of the new platform. Basically, wait until Q1 2022 if you can manage to limp through this year. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Overall it's a terrible time to buy most PC hardware. If you can find parts they are overpriced and there is the whole direct draw reality looming for PC. Once Direct draw is in place at the OS and eame engine levels, you will really want to have a PCIe 4.0 Mobo and PCIe 4.0 NVME to take advantage of the new platform. Basically, wait until Q1 2022 if you can manage to limp through this year. 

I'm seeing mobos with pcie 4.0 pop up for reasonable-ish prices. Thanks for the tip, though, I wasn't really taking PCIe 4.0 into consideration.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm seeing mobos with pcie 4.0 pop up for reasonable-ish prices. Thanks for the tip, though, I wasn't really taking PCIe 4.0 into consideration.

You bet, but do your research right now because there are board/CPU combos out there right now that support PCIe 4.0 but only for 1 drive and if you go above one drive it will throttle you GPU lanes down to allow the additional drive its full lanes. So make sure the mobo you buy matches your drive count and can still handle your GPU at x16. 

31 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I love my Cooler Master C700p. It’s huge, though :p 

After using a HTPC case for the last few years, maybe an overcorrection is due!

But as I'm looking more @Mr.Vic20 I'm thinking you're right. I wasn't narrowing my search to TWO pcie 4.0 slots. Them shits is kind of expensive.

a rebuild without a new GPU really isn't going to help me much right now anyway. The only thing that would boost my experience much is getting a new SSD, but it sounds like PCIE 4.0 is the way to go for that, and my current mobo only has one pcie slot.

though, I do have another mobo that has 2, I think (not 4.0 obviously)... That computer has a beefier psu, as well, it just doesn't fit in my small case. Maybe in the meantime I can get a new SSD and merge two of my PC's together into a franken-pc. I'd still need a new case, though.

I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a rebuild, and just kick the can on a GPU down the road until you can get one somewhat close to MSRP. I found pretty reasonable prices for everything, found a motherboard at $130  that should be good to go, it releases next week. So Hopefully the preorder is good on that.

The only downside is that I will have to upgrade my CPU again at some point, but I don't think it'll be a severely limiting factor for a couple years. Just jumping from 4 to 8 cores is pretty big for now, then I can worry about pcie 4.0 and shit when it becomes a severely limiting factor.

I really recommend the NZXT H700, it's just so nice to look st, a pleasure to build in, I use the 700 non 700i dont need the fan hub. Its bold with clean edges, one of my altime favorites by far. Yea it's over 100 bucks butbits worth it and will last through many upgrades to come....

43 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I really recommend the NZXT H700, it's just so nice to look st, a pleasure to build in, I use the 700 non 700i dont need the fan hub. Its bold with clean edges, one of my altime favorites by far. Yea it's over 100 bucks butbits worth it and will last through many upgrades to come....

That definitely looks nice. I got a lian li. Now I just have to find a motherboard that doesn't sell out in two seconds.

It's the biggest tease. I've got all my shit arriving on Tuesday, but I can't do anything until I get a motherboard. And I don't want to spend $350 on one.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

That definitely looks nice. I got a lian li. Now I just have to find a motherboard that doesn't sell out in two seconds.

It's the biggest tease. I've got all my shit arriving on Tuesday, but I can't do anything until I get a motherboard. And I don't want to spend $350 on one.

Seems your ready better than most as its GPUs that are the mother fuckers to get. Sorry about that motherboard issue didn't know it was a thing. I using a Asus z390A motherboard, I7 9700k, H100i corsair AIO, with 32 gig DDR4 3200 Samsung vengeance memory and Zotec 2080Ti Extreme Amp Edition GPU. I love it, it's silent, and now as of yesterday I have my second 1TB 970 Evo M.2 as my dedicated Game drive, a 500Gig 970 Evo m.2 as Boot drive and a 500 gig 869 ssd as playing together nicely. Enjoy your build when you get the parts, awesome stuff man...

On 2/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, Firewithin said:

my my new build i did couple months ago i bought a Meshify 2 and its been good

I have the Meshify C and would also recommend it. Its an open case, you'll hear the fans a little more than you would on other cases, but the tradeoff is better thermals.