The Biden Administration’s family benefit plan has been outflanked on the left by...Mitt Romney?!

Either Romney had an existential crisis and is basically a Democrat now, but has to still run as a Republican due to the voting demographics in his state. Or he’s planning another run in 2024, figuring he can slide in right of Biden on popular “conservative issues” issues, but be far left of Donald or which ever Trumpist/Q nut job tries to primary for the Republicans. Building a platform out of the most popular Dem and Conservative issues. 

I feel pretty confident it’s the latter. I doubt he’s actually reformed into a good person that cares about others. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Either Romney had an existential crisis and is basically a Democrat now, but has to still run as a Republican due to the voting demographics in his state. Or he’s planning another run in 2024, figuring he can slide in right of Biden on popular “conservative issues” issues, but be far left of Donald or which ever Trumpist/Q nut job tries to primary for the Republicans. Building a platform out of the most popular Dem and Conservative issues. 

I feel pretty confident it’s the latter. I doubt he’s actually reformed into a good person that cares about others. 

If the Republican party is fracturing over Trump, Romney is in a pretty good position as the classic conservative. I just don't think anybody on the right actually cares, though. The ACA is the old classic Republican healthcare plan that Romney put in place here in Massachusetts; albeit without the public option anybody can buy into. I just don't see how anybody deprograms most of the Republican party's constituents to remember that Obamacare was the old conservative dream. Romney would have a thousand other points to have to deal with beyond just that one. I don't see how he even makes it out of the primaries and I don't see the RNC changing the rules to give him a better chance.

Kids are stupid expensive, and this country needs an unconditional, defined child benefit like the rest of the western world. This would bring kids out of poverty like virtually no program before it.

If Romney does this it isn't surprising because Mormons are stereotypically family oriented so this would be on brand.

Also I'm having a second kid this year and the money would help a ton.

• Like 1

I don’t like “paying people to have kids.” That being said, I don’t want kids to grow up in poverty and struggle to eat. 

there is so much more in our society that needs to be fixed to prevent this. But this does seem like the best bandaid we can do until those changes are made. 

that being said this feels like the kind of thing that based on your taxes (ie household income) should be something that affects your return or having to pay more in if you’re above a certain threshold. 

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Kids are stupid expensive, and this country needs an unconditional, defined child benefit like the rest of the western world. This would bring kids out of poverty like virtually no program before it.

If Romney does this it isn't surprising because Mormons are stereotypically family oriented so this would be on brand.

Also I'm having a second kid this year and the money would help a ton.

Yep. Just make it a flat $300 (or whatever ) per month for each kid you have until they are 12, and then lower it to $200 (or whatever) until they are 18. Just example numbers. Don't scale it back, don't do anything else. Just a universal child benefit.

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t like “paying people to have kids.” That being said, I don’t want kids to grow up in poverty and struggle to eat. 

there is so much more in our society that needs to be fixed to prevent this. But this does seem like the best bandaid we can do until those changes are made. 

that being said this feels like the kind of thing that based on your taxes (ie household income) should be something that affects your return or having to pay more in if you’re above a certain threshold. 

A child stipend is the right-wing solution to not just providing every child with free childcare and/or preschool out even lengthy government funded parental leave. It's only a left-wing policy in the US because we're so right as a nation.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

A child stipend is the right-wing solution to not just providing every child with free childcare and/or preschool out even lengthy government funded parental leave. It's only a left-wing policy in the US because we're so right as a nation.

It's so much more expensive for daycare than this benefit it's crazy

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I think we've had threads on this before, but Quebec has subsidized daycare ($8.35/day) and the research has proven that it makes more money for the government than it costs because it allows women to work and pay into income taxes. BC is currently doing a trial as well, and they are reporting the same info. Having the government pay for daycare puts tonnes of extra people into the workforce (both the mothers as well as new jobs for daycare) and it literally pays for itself. There are no negatives.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm aware. I was paying pennies to a family member to be our nanny while she was attending college online. Half the time my wife was home, so she wasn't even alone with the kids the entire day. Still cost us around $20k a year. That's still a steal compared to any other childcare services.

You're allowed to take some money out, pre-tax, to cover child care costs. Those benefits max out at $5k/yr for me. That doesn't come anywhere close to covering costs. It's ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm aware. I was paying pennies to a family member to be our nanny while she was attending college online. Half the time my wife was home, so she wasn't even alone with the kids the entire day. Still cost us around $20k a year. That's still a steal compared to any other childcare services.

You're allowed to take some money out, pre-tax, to cover child care costs. Those benefits max out at $5k/yr for me. That doesn't come anywhere close to covering costs. It's ridiculous.

Yep, dependent care FSA. It helps but only just barely.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But seriously though

benefit prior to birth?!?!? Holy shit, inject this right through my high deductible health care plan and right into the arm of the incessant OB appointments that come with pregnancy

It's very on brand for a Republican that happens to be Mormon to cap benefits at three children per family.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But seriously though

benefit prior to birth?!?!? Holy shit, inject this right through my high deductible health care plan and right into the arm of the incessant OB appointments that come with pregnancy

As long as they don’t use it as justification to ban abortions. Getting the libs to admit life starts at conception if they take money. 

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

As long as they don’t use it as justification to ban abortions. Getting the libs to admit life starts at conception if they take money. 

The more real and concerning item in romney's proposal is that it eliminates TANF. This should be on top of TANF (and TANF should be expanded to at least where welfare was before Clinton's welfare reform)

You see, they're so pro family they want you to work so much you can never see them to receive a tiny tax credit!  Anyways, can someone explain to anyone dumb enough to think giving someone who makes 30k a year with 3 kids and a stay at home wife 13k is "Tax relief" and not just a "child allowance" lol.