Kroger closing stores in Long Beach over $4 per hour 'hero pay' mandate

Fucking Kroger’s. 

They play that bullshit messages over their in store audit “thanking” their employees for being heroes. And every time I hear it I think “oh fuck you! How about paying your people better, and giving them more paid time off.” 

having worked in retail I know those in store messages are for the customers and not the employees. This news of stores closing instead of paying employees for working front line, higher risk jobs is not surprising. 

eat the rich 

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If the $15/hr shit ever happens this will happen but larger scale. "Unnecessary" stores will be purged. This isn't me saying that 15 min shouldn't happen. I also know some local businesses will either have to close or cutback on staff.  

They can do this because it's not that far of a drive to other grocery stores in different jurisdictions. Can't do it if it's $15/hr everywhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Long+Beach,+CA/@33.8027956,-118.1596246,12.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2cae84099d759:0xa1003afac42a8faa!8m2!3d33.7700504!4d-118.1937395

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If the $15/hr shit ever happens this will happen but larger scale. "Unnecessary" stores will be purged. This isn't me saying that 15 min shouldn't happen. I also know some local businesses will either have to close or cutback on staff.  

Id love the see the government have the balls to have a penalty tax for any company that reduces work force due to mandatory pay increases. 

at least $67,200 per employee they release. In other words, make it work or you’ll be taxed double the hourly rate for 40 hours a week for a year. 

fuck you, you awful retail corporate bastards. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

They can do this because it's not that far of a drive to other grocery stores. Can't do it if it's $15/hr everywhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Long+Beach,+CA/@33.8027956,-118.1596246,12.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2cae84099d759:0xa1003afac42a8faa!8m2!3d33.7700504!4d-118.1937395

I have 3 Kroger's in my town. Kroger-One to Kroger-Three is only 3 miles. Kroger-One to Kroger-Two or Kroger-Two to Kroger-Three is only 2 miles. I mean, I could totally be wrong, but I have always seen at least one of these Kroger's not making it. Prolly Kroger-Two. 

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yes

I will gladly take a $10k bump in my pay, but I can say it isn’t necessary as a livable comfortable wage in parts of the country. I’m sure in NYC and much of California it is needed to even have a chance at comfortable living. In Texas and probably many states around us that wage would be beyond amazing. Especially for a single person with no kids. 

I do think the National minimum wage should vary based on location. I think in DFW it could be $15, though 18-20 would be better. But in high cost of living areas it should be higher.  

I make $16 an hour at a Kroger DC. I get by alright (no kids, cheap rent), but not really saving a lot. That “hero” pay we got at the start of the pandemic was nice for those 6 weeks or whatever. It would have been nicer if it didn’t stop, or at the very least if it came back when cases spiked again. 

55 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I will gladly take a $10k bump in my pay, but I can say it isn’t necessary as a livable comfortable wage in parts of the country. I’m sure in NYC and much of California it is needed to even have a chance at comfortable living. In Texas and probably many states around us that wage would be beyond amazing. Especially for a single person with no kids. 

I do think the National minimum wage should vary based on location. I think in DFW it could be $15, though 18-20 would be better. But in high cost of living areas it should be higher.  

I was just joking (sex and weed numbers) but that said

The difference is almost all in housing costs. So have a high enough min wage to cover the low col areas and the rest can go higher as needed. Or have it fixed relative to the media wage for a given area

9 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I make $16 an hour at a Kroger DC. I get by alright (no kids, cheap rent), but not really saving a lot. That “hero” pay we got at the start of the pandemic was nice for those 6 weeks or whatever. It would have been nicer if it didn’t stop, or at the very least if it came back when cases spiked again. 

How much do you pay in rent? I pay $994 for a studio in Reno and i make $14 an hour.

5 hours ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1219475261.jpg?w=1500
LOSANGELES.CBSLOCAL.COM

Trader Joe’s says it will again hike its workers’ pay another two dollars, for a total of an extra $4 an hour of “thank you” wages. The wage hike went into effect Monday for all hourly...

Makes me feel even better shopping there. I don’t go all the time since it’s a little bit of a drive, but we’ve started to go more often because they have some really fantastic stuff there.

• 1 month later...