The Callisto Protocol - Information Thread, update: Glen Schofield (CEO), CFO, and COO all "voluntarily" depart from Striking Distance Studios

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, stepee said:

I was just joshing cuz he was acting like it was about to be all fixed up any minute when I mean I could have told him that wouldn’t be the case from the time it takes to push out alone. And if he knows that…why would you say something you won’t deliver on at this time.

I’ll laugh if it really was designed to pre-compile and a bug stopped that from happening though!

And yeah shader comp issues are just a perfect storm for misinformation because of the nature of it where it will improve when you repeat a section regardless what you do.

That would be absolutely hilarious if it were the case. Well, not for his company, since this has had a tremendously and... kind of overwhelming effect? Like, this made people pissed, which in a way is good, but why was this the straw that broke the camel's back? I've been bitching about stutter for years. That Final Fantasy 7 release was a fucking abomination and I would've thought FF fans would be more uppity. Hell, Stranger of Paradise was a technical apocalypse. It feels like so many games have been getting free passes, and I'm glad the buck finally stopped somewhere but I never would've guessed it would've been a somewhat niche (despite AAAA claims) horror game. I figured once FF7 ran like shit and almost no one cared, that was it.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That would be absolutely hilarious if it were the case. Well, not for his company, since this has had a tremendously and... kind of overwhelming effect? Like, this made people pissed, which in a way is good, but why was this the straw that broke the camel's back? I've been bitching about stutter for years. That Final Fantasy 7 release was a fucking abomination and I would've thought FF fans would be more uppity. Hell, Stranger of Paradise was a technical apocalypse. It feels like so many games have been getting free passes, and I'm glad the buck finally stopped somewhere but I never would've guessed it would've been a somewhat niche (despite AAAA claims) horror game. I figured once FF7 ran like shit and almost no one cared, that was it.

Not to mention Elden Ring which they never even fixed lol.

I think it’s really just a case of enough is enough. People are more aware of it now as it’s gotten more attention this year and now I think people have a good idea that it’s something that can be fixed that developers are just not doing. Not some difficult unknown, but just not solving a problem with known solutions. 

50 minutes ago, stepee said:

I was just joshing cuz he was acting like it was about to be all fixed up any minute when I mean I could have told him that wouldn’t be the case from the time it takes to push out alone. And if he knows that…why would you say something you won’t deliver on at this time.

I’ll laugh if it really was designed to pre-compile and a bug stopped that from happening though!

And yeah shader comp issues are just a perfect storm for misinformation because of the nature of it where it will improve when you repeat a section regardless what you do.

2 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Shader compilation stutter in Unreal PC games will eventually make Alex from DF go postal.  He's been raging about it for over a year.  

I think he’s the one that really made knowledge of it spread this year. You could sneak it by without too much attention in 2021, not anymore. He’s been doing good work. If I’m fan of anyone in game journalism right now it’s probably him, and not just because MEOW.

He's definitely my favorite right now. Fuck stutter. Ruins every game it touches. I've joked about Pokemon a lot but fucking hell sometimes the performance degradation just makes me straight up stop playing. And with this? I've barely made it a couple hours in because I just can't stand the damn stutter. TEST YOUR FUCKING SHIT ASSHOLES. Make the entire team play exclusively on the PC version for a solid week a few months before launch, put all eyes on every version of the game. Make them feel how shitty and bad it is.

• True 1

57 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’d like to be in the room whenever someone MUST bring up that hey we have a problem with the pc version. Like I want to hear the excuse used by whatever shitty manager that lets it slip past

“I remember reading a Gizmodo article back in 2009 stating PC gaming is dead. Who cares? Nobody. Let’s talk about a system that sells, Switch. You see that Pokémon game? It’s trash and they love it. Let’s work on a port.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

“I remember reading a Gizmodo article back in 2009 stating PC gaming is dead. Who cares? Nobody. Let’s talk about a system that sells, Switch. You see that Pokémon game? It’s trash and they love it. Let’s work on a port.”

“NOW MORE COCAINE”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That is the game, the number you should be looking at is 467mb :p

Yes I missed that as I was so shocked by the 65GB part. :lol:

Anyway, initial impressions:

MASSIVELY less stuttering. Now there's a ton of stuttering when you first launch the game (pre-gameplay, main menu) which I assume is the shader cache being built? Strangely, it happens every boot. Once in the the game, it's tremendously smoother.

However, it doesn't seem like it fixes all the stuttering, there's still big dips (but not hard stops, at least so far) when enemies spawn in. It's actually playable now, but could use another patch or two and DLSS, I think.

FSR finally seems to work properly, or at least better than it did.

Not a miracle patch, but not bad. Let's see how it holds up the further I go.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brian said:

"Sell to people with lower standards, it's just easier that way!"

Hahaha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to figure it out!

You can absolutely beat the FUCK out of enemies in this game, just go to town rampaging them.

Had to reupload a bird video, not my footage, but that's kind of what I've been doing for hours now.

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Hahaha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to figure it out!

You can absolutely beat the FUCK out of enemies in this game, just go to town rampaging them.

Had to reupload a bird video, not my footage, but that's kind of what I've been doing for hours now.

Is this what the console versions look like? 

23 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Not sure what version it is, but that video was taken from Twitter and reuploaded so that's why it looks like ass. That site compresses everything into trash.

resetera impressions of tech stuff is mostly impossible to read what’s true, is shader stutter basically gone now leaving just the loading stutter that’s in everything? That’s what I’m assuming but hard to get a read..it’s usually they either fixed it or they didn’t 

30 minutes ago, stepee said:

resetera impressions of tech stuff is mostly impossible to read what’s true, is shader stutter basically gone now leaving just the loading stutter that’s in everything? That’s what I’m assuming but hard to get a read..it’s usually they either fixed it or they didn’t 

I've played several hours since the patch and my answer would be "95% of the stutter is gone," with the occasional split second stutter when entering a new area and very occasionally during gameplay, but instead of a major, gameplay-ruining stutter every 1.5-5 seconds it's like a small hiccup stutter every 10 minutes or so, if that.

It's not 100% stutter free, so they can still work on it. Right now the bigger concern is the performance fluctuation. You can stand in one spot and the FPS will just almost randomly shift between 75-115 with no apparent rhyme or reason. If you use your stun baton on certain surfaces it can cause pretty big drops as well, usually will drop me down to 60 or so each swing if I'm hitting a surface where this happens. If I happen to get the camera super close (like where the attack takes up the entire screen, basically jamming yourself into a corner specifically to do this) then I can even get it to drop to 30. The fact that the distance to the camera seems to effect it makes me think it's alpha effects or something, as those are notorious for bad performance up close. It could also be that it seems to generate dynamic lights on hits, but so do lots of things in this game so I can't see why that would matter.

To summarize:

- It has been nearly stutter free now, but not 100% in the clear

- Performance fluctuates a lot, but is almost always well above 60, and often above 90

If they can smooth it out a bit it'd be perfect. But I'd say that single patch was more effective than every patch Arkham Knight ever got combined, so I guess I believe Glen when he said it was some weird error, because there's no way in hell they'd get a performance patch that impactful out that quickly if it was anything else.

Right now, my two biggest desires are more granular FPS limits (I'd like to limit mine to 80, as I'm over 80 almost the entire time I'm playing, this would make dips from 110+ to 80 less noticeable, and for some reason RTSS won't cap the FPS) and DLSS, as you can see FSR still has some of DLSS' earlier problems (such as trails behind small floating objects like snowflakes) and isn't as effective at mitigating raytracing performance hits, meaning I'm not willing to turn it on.

All in all, it went from a miserable, near unplayable experience to what feels like a well optimized release that would benefit from a little more work. I'm not yet having any combat issues and I've found many branching paths with little secret items and voice logs (which need an update so you can play them while walking WITHOUT having to double tap start to basically trick the game, so stupid) so I'm not sure I get the aggressively linear complaints. There's definitely less large scale backtracking, but I've found myself backtracking within smaller more contained areas.

I'm still disappointed that it's not the Dead Space revival I was looking for, but I gotta say I think the combat is really fun in a way I didn't expect. I was expecting to be firing big chunky guns and hitting dudes with heavy combos, I was not expecting to be turbo-juggling enemies like Jacob is amped up on supercrack. That offsets some of the disappointment. It's also like... one of the least scary horror games I've ever played. But I'm starting to think I've just outgrown the scary part of horror games as I can't recall the last time I felt anything except uncomfortable tension, which is what I experienced with Dead Space 1 upon launch.

• Thanks 1

Yeah from that it sounds like the shader stutter is basically gone but stutter remains from other areas just like every game on every platform stutters for various reasons (usually loading).

Now people tend to conflate all stutters with shader stutter which makes a confusing issue even more confusing!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah from that it sounds like the shader stutter is basically gone but stutter remains from other areas just like every game on every platform stutters for various reasons (usually loading).

Now people tend to conflate all stutters with shader stutter which makes a confusing issue even more confusing!

Yeah, this game exhibits "normal stutter" which can still be largely avoided if they really take the time to nail it down, but as you said it's prevalent on everything so... it is what it is. I think it's still worth noting because I hate all stutter, but yeah, it's not unique to this at all.

Shader stutter on the other hand is an abomination.

But this was like... turbo shader stutter. It's like it was building an incorrect cache or something or caching each shader 10 times at once, they'd be so long and so frequent it was unlike anything I've ever seen. There were still long stretches where it was mostly okay since nothing novel was happening, but once a cutscene hit or new enemies or new weapons it was just a completely ruined moment.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, this game exhibits "normal stutter" which can still be largely avoided if they really take the time to nail it down, but as you said it's prevalent on everything so... it is what it is. I think it's still worth noting because I hate all stutter, but yeah, it's not unique to this at all.

Shader stutter on the other hand is an abomination.

But this was like... turbo shader stutter. It's like it was building an incorrect cache or something or caching each shader 10 times at once, they'd be so long and so frequent it was unlike anything I've ever seen. There were still long stretches where it was mostly okay since nothing novel was happening, but once a cutscene hit or new enemies or new weapons it was just a completely ruined moment.

Almost wish I had previewed that just for lols! But I guess it’s not as funny since it was actually a bug lol

Definitely seems even more improved. I did have a single pretty big hitch during an extremely intense setpiece scene and a couple of really minor ones outside of that (maybe... 3-4 in a few hours?) but I had only wanted to open up the game to see the difference and ended up playing for quite a while, really liking the combat.

Still the issue of fluctuating performance, so I hope that's addressed next.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Definitely seems even more improved. I did have a single pretty big hitch during an extremely intense setpiece scene and a couple of really minor ones outside of that (maybe... 3-4 in a few hours?) but I had only wanted to open up the game to see the difference and ended up playing for quite a while, really liking the combat.

Still the issue of fluctuating performance, so I hope that's addressed next.

I forgot about the performance issues with no dlss. I wonder now if a 4090 can just brute force it to locked 60 though.