3xxx series + LG C9 owers, your help would be appreciated!

Mr.Vic20

So the new 3090 is in and runs amazingly well, except when I exceed 60hz or turn on HDR, or both. I am out putting to an LG C9. I know that there are issues with LG C9's right now, but I thought it was limited to G-sync at 120hz. Whenever I do one of the following (list below), I get a constant flickering ghost of a frame that pops in about every other second. Otherwise its runs at 120Hz/HDR. 

1.) Turn on HDR in windows

2.) Increase BPC beyond 8bit

3.) Set refresh above 60hz

It could be the cable, though the one I have is well reviewed as an HDMI 2.1 48gb product. That said, I have another, different, cable enroute so I can compare experiences when swapping between them. Hopefully this fixes the issue. All of that said, can anyone here with a similar configuration please share if you are having similar experiences? 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So the new 3090 is in and runs amazingly well, except when I exceed 60hz or turn on HDR, or both. I am out putting to an LG C9. I know that there are issues with LG C9's right now, but I thought it was limited to G-sync at 120hz. Whenever I do one of the following (list below), I get a constant flickering ghost of a frame that pops in about every other second. Otherwise its runs at 120Hz/HDR. 

1.) Turn on HDR in windows

2.) Increase BPC beyond 8bit

3.) Set refresh above 60hz

It could be the cable, though the one I have is well reviewed as an HDMI 2.1 48gb product. That said, I have another, different, cable enroute so I can compare experiences when swapping between them. Hopefully this fixes the issue. All of that said, can anyone here with a similar configuration please share if you are having similar experiences? 

This is the issue that’s been reported. The thought is that the software-GSync is conflicting with the HDMI-VRR tech that’s now on the 3xxx series cards and it’s causing some type of software-level confusion on the TV’s end since the C9+ are “GSync compatible”. The only fix is to limit the refresh rate to 60hz until LG releases their already announced update.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is the issue that’s been reported. The thought is that the software-GSync is conflicting with the HDMI-VRR tech that’s now on the 3xxx series cards and it’s causing some type of software-level confusion on the TV’s end since the C9+ are “GSync compatible”. The only fix is to limit the refresh rate to 60hz until LG releases their already announced update.

I was hoping this was the case, but hadn't heard it also impacted BPC values and HDR all together. I've watched a number of videos on this and they all seem to show the screen blacking out in ternitentally or all together. mine isn't quite doing that, but rather every other second it appears to be inserting a mangled frame or two that is there so briefly that it appears to just flicker at a regular pace. I'm wondering if I have a bad cable on top of the stated LG issues. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I was hoping this was the case, but hadn't heard it also impacted BPC values and HDR all together. I've watched a number of videos on this and they all seem to show the screen blacking out in ternitentally or all together. mine isn't quite doing that, but rather every other second it appears to be inserting a mangled frame or two that is there so briefly that it appears to just flicker at a regular pace. I'm wondering if I have a bad cable on top of the stated LG issues. 

The issue is down sampled chroma filtering and/or black screens and/or flickering:

Echoing our original report from Sunday (which we’ve updated), users have been complaining about LG’s CX Class OLED displays downsampling chroma signals from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 in 4K/120 Hz. The biggest problem with this is blurry text, which is a definite no-no for PC usage. There are also issues with G-SYNC – apparently, GeForce RTX 3080 users who enable the option on CX and C9 models are getting flickering and/or black screens.

lg-oled-tv-c9-nvidia-g-sync.jpg
WWW.THEFPSREVIEW.COM

Assuming that they don't own one already, GeForce RTX 3080 owners may want to put LG's OLED TVs back onto their holiday wish lists.

As Spork relayed this seems to be the known issue. Mine is a bit weirder. When I go above 60hz exactly half my screen is black :lol: 

The firmware is already mostly done it seems, because you can ask LG to give it to you ahead of their next scheduled release and they will oblige. I'm just going to wait for the full public release though.

HDR *should* work though... I tried Squadrons last night in 4K and it automatically switched to HDR and worked (at 60hz). It might be that you don't want to do it through windows though.

3 hours ago, legend said:

As Spork relayed this seems to be the known issue. Mine is a bit weirder. When I go above 60hz exactly half my screen is black :lol: 

The firmware is already mostly done it seems, because you can ask LG to give it to you ahead of their next scheduled release and they will oblige. I'm just going to wait for the full public release though.

HDR *should* work though... I tried Squadrons last night in 4K and it automatically switched to HDR and worked (at 60hz). It might be that you don't want to do it through windows though.

Do you know where I go to "request" said firmware? Asking for a friend, named me! :daydream:

39 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Do you know where I go to "request" said firmware? Asking for a friend, named me! :daydream:

You have to contact your "Local LG Service Center," whatever that means :p See here (and the rest of the video if you're interested)

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, legend said:

You have to contact your "Local LG Service Center," whatever that means :p See here (and the rest of the video if you're interested)

Where I live, LG stands for lumber guy. Proper usage:

I was to be building a barn so I's called my lumber guy and he gave a holler back and said he's a comin' ! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@Spork3245 @legend 

Interesting follow up! on a whim, I switched HDMI ports and now no more flicker! The screen still goes black periodically when in 4K/120 HDR, but there is zero flicker. Very odd! So now I just need LG's firmware patch and its all good. Doom Eternal at 120 is a revelation!

Interesting! Which port did you switch to? I also have a C9 so it should the same one. My understanding was that on the C9 all the input ports were the same 2.1 ports, but maybe that's wrong?

28 minutes ago, legend said:

Interesting! Which port did you switch to? I also have a C9 so it should the same one. My understanding was that on the C9 all the input ports were the same 2.1 ports, but maybe that's wrong?

HDMI 2, which for some reason is, in this instance, "better"? I've not tried switching back to port 1 though, but will soon. That's just to see if the TV is saving some kind of data based on the device plugged into the port. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

HDMI 2, which for some reason is, in this instance, "better"? I've not tried switching back to port 1 though, but will soon. That's just to see if the TV is saving some kind of data based on the device plugged into the port. 

Huh. That's interesting. Maybe our TVs are different :p because my port 2 is my ARC out port.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

Huh. That's interesting. Maybe our TVs are different :p because my port 2 is my ARC out port.

My is definitely the ARC port, but it's working just fine on it (no flicker, still has black screen issues). Is that a "no,no"? I've never used an ARC device so I've always treated it as just another HDMI port.  I use the optical out port to connect to my sounds system, for reference. 

26 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My is definitely the ARC port, but it's working just fine on it (no flicker, still has black screen issues). Is that a "no,no"? I've never used an ARC device so I've always treated it as just another HDMI port.  I use the optical out port to connect to my sounds system, for reference. 

Ah okay. I think you can still use it as a regular input port, but I do use mine for the ARC out, so it's currently busy :p