Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's classic FF14. It was as if it was an unused track for ff14.

Hide contents

Not sayin' it's bad. I liked it too.

Oh yeah, im about halfway through Shadowbringers, and I bought Endwalker day 1. I know how good the music is. I think that track is better than the ones you listed, which are excellent. Under the Weight shocked me when I heard it.

I can't actually find my favorite track from the game. It's near the end during the streets of madness stage.

Nevermind. Can't find it without video so I gotta spoiler it, but by far my favorite piece. I love this type of "somber revelation" music

Spoiler

Reminds me a bit of something that I heard in Bleach.

Just now, best3444 said:

I thought you were posting music from 16

This one has music from 16. It has story spoilers so I spoiler-tagged it. The one on the previous page is all ff14 music and you can open that spoiler.

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I can't actually find my favorite track from the game. It's near the end during the streets of madness stage.

Nevermind. Can't find it without video so I gotta spoiler it, but by far my favorite piece. I love this type of "somber revelation" music

Reveal hidden contents

Reminds me a bit of something that I heard in Bleach.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Also, one last thing. The fight was entirely too long, but the music in the Hugo Kupka fight might be the best in the series, including One Winged Angel.

Edit: I also loved every time they used The Main Theme. 

The music is some of the best I’ve ever heard in a video game. The thing I’m enjoying so much is how the game makes you feel like a total bad ass. 

WHAT HE FUCK! My save file was corrupt some how and it wouldn't load where I left off!!!

So this evening I had to start all over again and played 8 hours straight to try to catch up where I was. Unbelievable!

I made great progress but I'm really upset. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Also, one last thing. The fight was entirely too long, but the music in the Hugo Kupka fight might be the best in the series, including One Winged Angel.

Edit: I also loved every time they used The Main Theme. 

You really gotta play FF14... that track was basically an homage to the Titan Theme(s) from that game.

The much older original 14 theme:

And the much more recent Shadowbringers version:

I think the inspiration's clear from either one!

A lot of tracks in the game remind me of 14, especially the main boss fight theme, which reminds me a lot of the job quest theme "Breaking Boundaries" in FFXIV.

(Starting at around 0:17)

And I feel like a different song that I can't quite remember right now. You'll have to forgive me, the Spotify playlist is like almost 700 songs long.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

WHAT HE FUCK! My save file was corrupt some how and it wouldn't load where I left off!!!

So this evening I had to start all over again and played 8 hours straight to try to catch up where I was. Unbelievable!

Did you try using load instead of continue? You should have multiple autosaves...

Also didn't notice that Bacon already posted the other track I was thinking of above! I swear either I'm losing my mind or the board is hiding Bacon's replies from me sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Did you try using load instead of continue? You should have multiple autosaves...

Also didn't notice that Bacon already posted the other track I was thinking of above! I swear either I'm losing my mind or the board is hiding Bacon's replies from me sometimes.

Hmm...I'll have to check in a few hours. It's heartbreaking because of all the work I did is gone!

Yea. I only have one save file so from now on I'll use 14 different slave files. What a bitch and I should have listened to you back then. 

Ugh...:(

Sorry to hear that, losing a save file blows. Only other thing I can think of is recovering it from the cloud, but I dunno if it'll have uploaded your new save already, never used a manual cloud save on PSN. At least skipping cutscenes means you only have to redo like 30%!

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You really gotta play FF14... that track was basically an homage to the Titan Theme(s) from that game.

A lot of tracks in the game remind me of 14, especially the main boss fight theme, which reminds me a lot of the job quest theme "Breaking Boundaries" in FFXIV.

And I feel like a different song that I can't quite remember right now. You'll have to forgive me, the Spotify playlist is like almost 700 songs long.

Oh, I have, I’m halfway through shadowbringers. I really need to get back to it.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

That sucks. Always make extra saves!

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

That sucks. Always make extra saves!

I learned this with Chrono Cross after losing progress on 22 hrs which isn't terrible but hey, it's almost a full day lost. Have made multiple save files ever since. 

Sorry @best3444 didn't you have this issue on another game recently? 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

It's classic FF14. It was as if it was an unused track for ff14.

Reveal hidden contents

Not sayin' it's bad. I liked it too.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:55 PM, Bacon said:

xbob? more like blindbob the honorless

Sad Season 1 GIF by Rick and Morty

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I learned this with Chrono Cross after losing progress on 22 hrs which isn't terrible but hey, it's almost a full day lost. Have made multiple save files ever since. 

Sorry @best3444 didn't you have this issue on another game recently? 

No, I never had an issue with this. 

23 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Like everyone else mentioned multiple save files

Yea, I'm going to create 3 save files. I'm flying by pretty quickly from the beginning so it's ok. I'll get back to where I was by tomorrow maybe. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

Be honest, you did this on purpose :p 

Jk, that really sucks. Few bugs in gaming suck more than having your progress erased.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

:lol: Since last evening and into this morning I've played 16 fuckin hours! I'm nearly exactly where I was when the save died. 

I definitely learned my lesson but I'm still playing right now and might even surpass where my corrupt save was! Holy shit am I bug eyed though playing this much. 

And that's that. I don't actually have too much more to say besides what I said before. Game was fine, but a lot of it just felt like spectacle for me, and I've never been big on that when it comes at the cost of gameplay depth, which sadly it did here. I mean in some ways Final Fantasy has always been like that, but usually you've got lots more options to play with.

It did start to become very FF-like near the end. It starts Game of Thrones and at some point the anime switch is flipped and I can't wait to see how people react to that, haha.

I did like that I started just getting a lot of really long animation abilities where I didn't press any buttons for like 20 seconds. Now THAT'S Final Fantasy! Just hitting a button and letting Clive dance around for half a minute while I check Discord or something. If you're gonna sacrifice depth, might as well enjoy when there's none left!

That said, the last few hunts were pretty good and the final boss, once you actually got through 3 Lord of the Rings movie to fight it for 3 minutes, was fun too!

At the very least the storytelling and characters always felt very earnest and heartfelt, even when dumb anime bullshit was happening. And the music got pretty damn good too.

I do hope for more party stuff in the future though, and gimme back my job system. I still think Stranger of Paradise's job system and combat, if you cleaned it up real nice --gave it a shave and a haircut, put it in a tux-- would've actually suited this game quite well. Maybe in the future.

In any case, while it's hardly my favorite FF, it's a damn sight better than FF15 in just about every way, and it didn't take a million years to develop, so I'm glad to see FF on the right track again.

• Halal 2

When it comes to Japanese media, FF16 is a reminder for me to always

Spoiler

look up the ending before I play the game. I almost always look up the ending before I play Japanese games but I didn't for 16. I'm about to play Tales of Arise and I looked up the ending months ago to make sure playing thru it would be worth it.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

And that's that. I don't actually have too much more to say besides what I said before. Game was fine, but a lot of it just felt like spectacle for me, and I've never been big on that when it comes at the cost of gameplay depth, which sadly it did here. I mean in some ways Final Fantasy has always been like that, but usually you've got lots more options to play with.

It did start to become very FF-like near the end. It starts Game of Thrones and at some point the anime switch is flipped and I can't wait to see how people react to that, haha.

I did like that I started just getting a lot of really long animation abilities where I didn't press any buttons for like 20 seconds. Now THAT'S Final Fantasy! Just hitting a button and letting Clive dance around for half a minute while I check Discord or something. If you're gonna sacrifice depth, might as well enjoy when there's none left!

That said, the last few hunts were pretty good and the final boss, once you actually got through 3 Lord of the Rings movie to fight it for 3 minutes, was fun too!

At the very least the storytelling and characters always felt very earnest and heartfelt, even when dumb anime bullshit was happening. And the music got pretty damn good too.

I do hope for more party stuff in the future though, and gimme back my job system. I still think Stranger of Paradise's job system and comba1t, if you cleaned it up real nice --gave it a shave and a haircut, put it in a tux-- would've actually suited this game quite well. Maybe in the future.

In any case, while it's hardly my favorite FF, it's a damn sight better than FF15 in just about every way, and it didn't take a million years to develop, so I'm glad to see FF on the right track again.

What would you give it out of 10?

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

When it comes to Japanese media, FF16 is a reminder for me to always

Hide contents

look up the ending before I play the game. I almost always look up the ending before I play Japanese games but I didn't for 16. I'm about to play Tales of Arise and I looked up the ending months ago to make sure playing thru it would be worth it.

Spoiler

I mean, the ending doesn't make or break a game for me either way, it can sour it or make it sweeter but I don't play games for endings, probably why I rarely beat them. But if you do, that's not a bad idea... granted the ending isn't so out of context that it makes no sense, haha.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What would you give it out of 10?

On a "trying to be objective" scale, maybe an 8 or so? For me personally, maybe a 7. It held my interest and I was rarely bored. I feel like if I enjoyed spectacle more that'd bump it up a few points. Nothing about it ever struck me as bad, or even anything less than above average (the closest to that for me would be combat, which has some serious trouble holding the game up for so long), but I do have what I want the series to be, that bias will exist whether I want it to or not, and that definitely influences how I feel about it.

• Halal 2