Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

34 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Whoever said the music was good.. Wow what an understatement. IMO the best soundtrack in an FF since the PSX days...or maybe since FF14 because it did have an amazing soundtrack 

It’s fantastic. I was complaining to myself because to purchase more for the Basecamp it costs 20,000 Gil but then 

Spoiler

I found one in a chest hidden away in a small town 

30 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband is really loving this. He says he thinks I'll really enjoy it. Making me wanna play it after I finish Zelda.

Yeah you would like it

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I was hella sceptical but it is very, very good. So far, the best FF has been in a looooong time 

It’s a perfect blend of things. Not to rpg heavy. Not to open world but just enough if exploration. Combat isn’t overly complicated but very fun and satisfying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It's a perfect blend of things. Not to rpg heavy. Not to open world but just enough if exploration. Combat isn’t overly complicated but very fun and satisfying. 

Exactly! Fuck, I just put in 3 hours and I am so fuckin happy with this game. The visuals are the best on PS5 and everything is just so epic. I have done a few side quests, I make sure to get every chest and get all loot, and just enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Is there a way to see how long you have played? If I had to estimate I'm probably 10 hours in. This is my GOTY so far. As good as Zelda is, this is easily my preferred style of game. I don't have to be constantly thinking about what to do to advance its just a fun ride. For those complaining about the towns being empty husks...are we playing the same game?

I don't understand any if the complaints from the users on here. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Exactly! Fuck, I just put in 3 hours and I am so fuckin happy with this game. The visuals are the best on PS5 and everything is just so epic. I have done a few side quests, I make sure to get every chest and get all loot, and just enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Is there a way to see how long you have played? If I had to estimate I'm probably 10 hours in. This is my GOTY so far. As good as Zelda is, this is easily my preferred style of game. I don't have to be constantly thinking about what to do to advance its just a fun ride. For those complaining about the towns being empty husks...are we playing the same game?

I don't understand any if the complaints from the users on here. 

Yes. Go to your Dave’s. It’ll have the date and how much play time. I’m at 23 hours. Are you playing in graphics mode or frame rate?

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes. Go to your Dave’s. It’ll have the date and how much play time. I’m at 23 hours. Are you playing in graphics mode or frame rate?

Thanks. I'm playing in graphics mode and I'm completely fine with it. Oddly enough I tried switching to performance mode while in-game and it doesn't allow you to switch. In the demo it did so I guess if I want to check out performance I'll do it before loading up my game. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thanks. I'm playing in graphics mode and I'm completely fine with it. Oddly enough I tried switching to performance mode while in-game and it doesn't allow you to switch. In the demo it did so I guess if I want to check out performance I'll do it before loading up my game. 

I switched to graphics mode. Playing in frame rate mode was jarring to me. Not smooth. Graphics mode seems smoother and nicer looking so I’m going with that. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I switched to graphics mode. Playing in frame rate mode was jarring to me. Not smooth. Graphics mode seems smoother and nicer looking so I’m going with that. 

Yep. I remember trying performance mode in the demo and it fucked with my brain and eyes. Graphics mode is much more stable and better looking. 

• True 1

@legend Guess Google was spying on this conversation because it recommended this article to me: 

Final-Fantasy-16-1.jpg
WWW.DENOFGEEK.COM

Final Fantasy 16 is a stunningly beautiful action game that only pays lip service to RPG ideas it desperately needs to do more with.

Gotta say, agreeing with just about everything here. The lack of meaningful choice in character development when it comes to unique weapons and armor as well as there just straight up being better Eikon abilities just means that I'm waiting 5 hours for my next Eikon to unlock so I can play around with that a bit and then use the same powers for every battle until my next set of Eikon abilities is unlocked, all these crafting mats with nothing to craft, nothing but music to spend Gil on, all weapon and armor being simple stat boosts you barely notice because any fight that matters is always going to be about the same dev intended length unless you suck really bad, even the accessories mostly being minor buffs to your damaging abilities is so boring. 

"But it's an action game!" So get rid of all this shit! At this level of implementation it just feels like it's there to waste your time. 

I'm already just riding past all normal encounters because there's legit no reason to waste my time doing them. The combat's too easy for them to provide a satisfying challenge, the ability points you get are too paltry to matter, especially since you can only use 6 abilities and can refund them at any time. And the combat isn't complex and robust enough to make beating up on normal enemies fun for more than the first couple of hours. 

I think my favorite item so far is an accessory that changes precision dodges to a teleport and then gives you an attack boost for several seconds indicated by you being on fire, like a mini LB.

If the game was full of gear like THAT, I'd have nothing to complain about, or at least a lot less!

• Like 1
  • True 1

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

@legend Guess Google was spying on this conversation because it recommended this article to me: 

Final-Fantasy-16-1.jpg
WWW.DENOFGEEK.COM

Final Fantasy 16 is a stunningly beautiful action game that only pays lip service to RPG ideas it desperately needs to do more with.

Gotta say, agreeing with just about everything here. The lack of meaningful choice in character development when it comes to unique weapons and armor as well as there just straight up being better Eikon abilities just means that I'm waiting 5 hours for my next Eikon to unlock so I can play around with that a bit and then use the same powers for every battle until my next set of Eikon abilities is unlocked, all these crafting mats with nothing to craft, nothing but music to spend Gil on, all weapon and armor being simple Stat boosts you barely notice because any fight that matters is always going to be about the same dev intended length unless you suck really bad, even the accessories mostly being minor buffs to your damaging abilities is so boring. 

"But it's an action game!" So get rid of all this shit! At this level of implementation it just feels like it's there to waste your time. 

I'm already just riding past all normal encounters because there's legit no reason to waste my time doing them. The combats too easy for them to provide a satisfying challenge, the ability points you get are too paltry to matter, especially since you can only use 6 abilities and can refund them at any time. And the combat isn't complex and robust enough to make beating up on normal enemies fun for more than the first couple of hours. 

I think my favorite item so far is an accessory that changes precision dodges to a teleport and then gives you an attack boost for several seconds indicated by you being on fire, like a mini LB.

If the game was full of gear like THAT, I'd have nothing to complain about, or at least a lot less!

Yeah that's about where I am too. I'm enjoying the game, but there is some clear indecisiveness in what it wants to be and the systems often don't feel like they work together. I think God of War Ragnarok is a better version of what this game is trying to be (and shockingly has more RPG elements!). That doesn't mean it's bad -- GoW:R is an exceptional game -- but there is room for criticism here.

I mean, I pretty much agree with what Xbob said. I just unlocked the 4th eikon (or 3rd depending you look at it) and it does far more HP damage that I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. Everything except for this one move from the 3rd eikon called Pile Drive just feels so weak so I mastered it as the Eikonic ability for that Eikon sucks. Like, I wouldn't even be using Garuda if it wasn't for the enhanced stagger mechanic. I have a feeling I'll end up never using the first 3 eikons once I unlock more.

Spoiler

Titan does giga damage and it is absurd how little everything else does in comparison and the parry mechanic is STRONG.

And my god does Ramuh suck. The magic is OK by my god that lock on shit is AWFUL.

Garuda's moves suck dick but Gouge does do giga stagger damage.

Still, Ifrit has to have the most useless spells so far and the Phoenix spells are starting to feel really weak. Flames of Rebirth isn't nearly as strong as it needs to be. Legit should be a straight-up 50% heal to actually make it stand up to other spells.

Don't have any more Eikon powers yet.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I never put it on, because it seemed as weak as everything based on the description, but damn glad I read your post. Shit is... fire lol. I don't like the silly animation, it's actually pretty bad, but the effect is pretty great.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yeah that's about where I am too. I'm enjoying the game, but there is some clear indecisiveness in what it wants to be and the systems often don't feel like they work together. I think God of War Ragnarok is a better version of what this game is trying to be (and shockingly has more RPG elements!). That doesn't mean it's bad -- GoW:R is an exceptional game -- but there is room for criticism here.

Ragnarok felt like a low key action rpg and I was totally into it.

Curious about this game considering it’ll be a while until I play it.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Whoa whoa buddy boy. Bacon is sooooo dead to me. 

🤣 

I can agree with Legend that Ragnarok was more of an "RPG". I'm 15 hours in (just checked my profile) and I had to force myself to stop playing. I absolutely love this game. It's as though it was made strictly for my gaming tastes. 

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

🤣 

I can agree with Legend that Ragnarok was more of an "RPG". I'm 15 hours in (just checked my profile) and I had to force myself to stop playing. I absolutely love this game. It's as though it was made strictly for my gaming tastes. 

I feel almost the exact same. After coming off some massive open world games, this one hits all the right buttons to feel more straightforward but also let's you explore a good bit here and there. Had to pry the controller out of my own hand and be a productive human for a little while 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I pretty much agree with what Xbob said. I just unlocked the 4th eikon (or 3rd depending you look at it) and it does far more HP damage that I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. Everything except for this one move from the 3rd eikon called Pile Drive just feels so weak so I mastered it as the Eikonic ability for that Eikon sucks. Like, I wouldn't even be using Garuda if it wasn't for the enhanced stagger mechanic. I have a feeling I'll end up never using the first 3 eikons once I unlock more.

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Same. 
I absolutely love this game, but I would have liked deeper, more impactful rpg mechanics. 
I love the story and the enjoy the combat, but 33 years of FF, I definitely feel the missing RPG elements. 

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Same. 
I absolutely love this game, but I would have liked deeper, more impactful rpg mechanics. 
I love the story and the enjoy the combat, but 33 years of FF, I definitely feel the missing RPG elements. 

And I think that's why I'm enjoying this more than xbob and the others. I never played a FF game so this is new to me. It just nails everything I love about games. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I never put it on, because it seemed as weak as everything based on the description, but damn glad I read your post. Shit is... fire lol. I don't like the silly animation, it's actually pretty bad, but the effect is pretty great.

Is it the berserker ring you’re talking about? If so, yeah, I love it.

• Halal 1

While HD towns might not be hard anymore, fuckers still can't make an HD city. I mean, all of these grand cities and I'm stuck with mud, grass, and sand.

Spoiler

Except you enter a city for all of 5 minutes while it is under siege and the performance is the worst it has been all game! That's really why I'm saying HD cities are still hard.

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Also, this isn’t a spoiler or anything, I have no foresight or spoiler knowledge, but Im going to be so mad when

Reveal hidden contents

What I hope happens is that

Spoiler

Jill just isn't in a condition to actually be going out and about and so she gives Clive her powers since she can't be galavanting around.

I mean, it won't happen but for a series that is full of hope and faith, this game needs some fuckin hope and faith. We don't gotta be going full GoT all the time now, ok?

• Hugs 1

On thing that really hurts FF16 is that you only have one weapon. Sure, you have 6 abilities and 3 special abilities, but think of GoWR. You have 3 weapons, each weapon has two abilities, and a heavy and light melee combos. It wouldn't be so bad if the enemies weren't so spongy. You have to little options that you use repeatedly. There just simply isn't any variety to combat. Even with upgrades, you are still doing the same thing, just more of it.

• Halal 2

29 minutes ago, Bacon said:

On thing that really hurts FF16 is that you only have one weapon. Sure, you have 6 abilities and 3 special abilities, but think of GoWR. You have 3 weapons, each weapon has two abilities, and a heavy and light melee combos. It wouldn't be so bad if the enemies weren't so spongy. You have to little options that you use repeatedly. There just simply isn't any variety to combat. Even with upgrades, you are still doing the same thing, just more of it.

How many hours are you in? Where would you rank this compared to other FF games?

Should I play FF7 remake?

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean we all told you that you should play it, so why ask over and over?

if you like this, you’ll like 7r.

:lol: I was being sarcastic. I know I've been told to play it a million times. 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Just realize the battle system is different than XVI. It still plays linear though. 

That's cool. I am downloading it now and most likely will play it immediately following 16. I hope the music is close to being as magical as 16.