Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I seriously have nothing to complain about here? The combat is terrific and everything else the 3 people are complaining about is nonsense to me. This is a 9/10 game so far and deserves all the great reviews. 

I mean that's great, have all the fun you want! Doesn't change the fact that I think the towns feel like empty husks with giant rocks shaped to look like buildings since you enter like 4 buildings in 20 hours.

I'm just baffled as to how anyone finds "run over there, press X, then run over there and press X to give it to George" to be anything less than "really bad side quest design."

I mean it's a damn sight better than the dogshit that was Xenoblade Chronicles' sidequests, but there's so many do-nothing quests, it's baffling.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean that's great, have all the fun you want! Doesn't change the fact that I think the towns feel like empty husks with giant rocks shaped to look like buildings since you enter like 4 buildings in 20 hours.

I'm just baffled as to how anyone finds "run over there, press X, then run over there and press X to give it to George" to be anything less than "really bad side quest design."

I mean it's a damn sight better than the dogshit that was Xenoblade Chronicles' sidequests, but there's so many do-nothing quests, it's baffling.

It’s more the background story from quests I like, not the quests structure itself. I agree that’s pretty bad design 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

The more background story is the only reason I do them. Xenoblade Chronicles didn't even have the decency to give you that.

Yeah, im personally under no illusion that those quests are fun or engaging. The background story is often interesting, but the quest design is awful.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Welcome to your dead to me club. May I show you to your table?

• Haha 2

Just now, stepee said:

I would let you guys know what I think of this but I’m afraid that blood would flow from my eyes like rivers of death as I became something both more and less than human as I assume a form of pure hatred and violence.

I’ll take the risk

Just now, stepee said:

I know you haven’t played it because I’ve been telling you to play it whenever you ask for a new game for like two years 

Oh ya now I remember. Best begs people to recommend a game. You recommend FFVII Remake. He never plays it. 

Sounds about right. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Oh ya now I remember. Best begs people to recommend a game. You recommend FFVII Remake. He never plays it. 

Sounds about right. 

Lol. I just never got around to it. I'm not even sure I want to play it. 

6 hours ago, legend said:

The regular dodge is often not good because the enemies will do a series of unbreakable attacks and the dodge freezes you in place immediately after you do it (even if you dodge and counter, they'll keep going through the attack unimpeded as with the above point). Instead, it's better to just free form run from attacks and only dodge if you have to.

You can perfect dodge and counter those types of attacks. Some you can actually melee counter, immediately dodge the flurry attack, counter again, and repeat for the whole flurry attack. Others you want to keep on perfect dodging but use your magic counter instead to keep at range. Sure, it is safer to just twiddle your thumbs and you aren't punished for it, but I'm not willing to wait around.

Tho, there are attacks that you literally can't stagger them out of at the 50% semi-stagger. Like the meter won't go down while you're hitting them, but will go down on the very first hit after their animation is over. Pretty sure you can the doesn't happen for the full stagger, and their animations get canceled.

6 hours ago, legend said:

Combining all those facts together means by *far* the most effective I've been is running away, shooting with charged blasts until stagger hits (or the 50% stagger hits) and then unloading ability attacks.

Not sure if this is true. While Melee attacks deal little damage to boss-type enemies, The full melee with full magic burst combo (8hits) seems to deal significant stagger damage. I suppose it is harder to do that than just charged attacks, but I ain't gonna be standing in the back slinging -ra spells.

But like yeah, I wish the combat wasn't so wimpy feeling. Like, I want to be dealing CHUNKS of damage. This isn't an MMO where you spend 10 minutes dodging mechanic after mechanic while repeating the same rotation every 60 seconds. Or rather, it shouldn't be like that. This is a single-player game.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm not even going to bother with side quests then. 

Just skip the dialogue. The rewards are basic but might as well get them as they require no effort. And there is at least one side quest that actually gives a game-changing reward and I can't believe it wasn't part of the MSQ. Shit deserved some real cutscenes, not just some FFXIV cutscene shite.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Biggie said:

They add to the story though. 

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Just skip the dialogue. The rewards are basic but might as well get them as they require no effort. And there is at least one side quest that actually gives a game-changing reward and I can't believe it wasn't part of the MSQ. Shit deserved some real cutscenes, not just some FFXIV cutscene shite.

Oh...well then. I will become a delivery boy tomorrow. 

Once you get three Eikons unlocked, combat with elite mobs just turns into blasting them with your cooldowns as they come up. Once you get that first 50% stagger point, you are pretty much free to unload on them. You'll still need to stagger them a second time but shit feels quicker.

Edit:

Something that is a bit of a letdown regarding traveling

Spoiler
Spoiler

is that your chocobo doesn't make you immune to combat and there is no chocobo theme while riding - just a short triumphant-sounding audio blurb and that's it.

Edit 2:

Oh no

Spoiler

a village full of rotting Bearer corpses.

Time to search for treasure chests! e: There were 3.

Edit 3:

Oh shit

Spoiler
Spoiler

a character I thought dead is now alive

Spoiler

Sir Wade is alive. LETSFUCKINGGO

Edit 4;

Instead of all of those Eikon pins that were in the CE, what would have actually been cool was making pins out of all of these shitty plot device badges and seals we have been getting also.

Also, regarding Clive's most common traveling companion that isn't a dog

Spoiler
Spoiler

will you man the fuck up, Jill? Like holy shit, can you also stop seeming so fuckin sus? Like, I won't even feel bad for you when you die and Clive takes your powers at this rate. Also, can you fuckers fuck already. If this game who game happens without Clive banging anyone, especially Jill, I will be giga disappointed.

Fucking Japan and always using "wah wah I'm a monster" FUCK OFF

Edit 5:

I believe I am about to unlock a specific upgrade to my kit and that being

Spoiler

more potions.

e: LAME it was just a potency upgrade. I mean, to be fair to the game, I have never run out of potions, but I'd rather have more than just stronger ones.

Edit: 6

Now that is some hype shit (big spoilers)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Torgal

Spoiler

is fucking Fenrir. I am almost 100% certain. Mother fucker primed!

Edit: 7

This sidequest's "aftermath" brought a smile to my face.

Spoiler

There were two new Bearers added to the hideaway, sisters, and I was sent on a sidequest to get bolts of cloth so someone could make them new dresses. Well, after the sidequest I found the sisters in their new dresses, and

Elder Sister: You look like a princess!

Younger Sister: You look like the princess's sister!

Thought was a pretty sweet moment to stumble upon.