Judge approves termination of Paramount Consent Decree, allowing studios to own theatres

https://deadline.com/2020/08/paramount-consent-decrees-justice-department-2-1203007221/

A federal judge has given the green light to Justice Department to terminate the 71-year-old consent decrees that have restricted major studio control over the exhibition process.

The lifting of the decrees will clear the way for studios to once again take significant ownership of theater chains, now in dire straits because of the pandemic. But more importantly for the industry, the elimination of the decrees means that studios and exhibitors will be allowed to engage in a host of business practices that have been prohibited since the late 1940s.

“Because changes in antitrust law and administration have diminished the importance of the Decrees’ restrictions, while still providing protections that will keep the probability of future violations low, the Court finds that termination of the Decrees is in the public interest,” 

lol, sure thing, I trust Disney to act fairly, and for the US government to reign them in.

@sblfilms what does this actually mean for the US theatre market going forward?

When I worked at the movie theatre years ago, I worked for Famous Players. In Canada they were one of the i guess 3 major cinema chains (AMC and Cineplex being the others) Viacom owned Famous Players and has some higher end theatres in our chained called Paramount Famous Players with the paramount logo and all. I will admit it was great working for that company and we had more freebies/events for staff. Then they sold us to Cineplex and all went downhill from there. So overall, I liked my experience with the movie company owning us much better then when Cineplex bought us and most of the AMC theatres (which were also split with Reagal and Landmark cinemas) 

The industry was already going to fundamentally change. I can definitely see a scenario in which a company like Amazon or Netflix buys up locations in major markets. I’m not as sure about other studios doing so. I do think that some of the relevance of the consent decrees has faded away and is unlikely to return. But we are also in a situation where a massive industry shake up is already going on and this does open the door for some shenanigans that wouldn’t have been particularly likely even back in early March.

I think it's hard to foresee exactly what this will bring. 

On first glance, I don't think it'll change too much. No one, not even Disney, currently makes enough movies to keep a theater busy year round.

Sure, Netflix would love to have their movies out day/date in theaters and on streaming, and they currently have zero leverage over theaters to make that happen. Still, it would cost so much for them to own enough theaters to give them sufficient leverage and for such a marginal benefit in a shrinking segment, it doesn't seem like a prudent move.

I can easily imagine some one-off test locations here and there that don't represent a new norm.

With the pandemic already bound to change the industry so much, who's to say what this brings.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

With the pandemic already bound to change the industry so much, who's to say what this brings.

This is kinda where I am with...literally everything happening right now. Who knows? The only thing I'm sure of is that change is happening.