Tech CEOs getting grilled, break them up!

I was hoping that this would not be the case because they spent so long getting and reviewing documents for these hearings, but there seems to be no stopping it.

Listening to congressmen complain about their campaign emails going to some people's spam folders, not being able to find a site on Google,  or ranting about Twitter (who isn't involved here) seems like such an incredible waste of everyone's time. The stuff going after Google for working with China (which they don't) but not wanting to work with the US Military, or concerns about them not sufficiently supporting police, felt particularly "petty politics." 

On Amazon in particular, I was in eCommerce years back, and their usage of third party seller data was well known and easily recognized. I'd love to see a reasonable proposal on how to handle it.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Wow

I don't really buy into the break up big tech thing as much as many others do, but this is a prime example of where it should happen. Facebook should not own Instagram and WhatsApp. Both were bought specifically to kill off competitors, not to help them enter new markets.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't really buy into the break up big tech thing as much as many others do, but this is a prime example of where it should happen. Facebook should not own Instagram and WhatsApp. Both were bought specifically to kill off competitors, not to help them enter new markets.

Nadler did a good job making Zuck layout the case for breaking it up 

11 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Nadler did a good job making Zuck layout the case for breaking it up 

Facebook deserves it. Google can, with a straight face, make the argument that they bought YouTube to shortcut they're way into a new market. Microsoft can make the argument that it bought LinkedIn to shortcut their way into a new market. Amazon can argue that it bought Twitch to shortcut its way into a new market.

Does it suck when these huge companies buy up these small and successful companies? Sure, but that's besides the point.

Facebook straight up bought Instagram because young people were sharing photos over something that wasn't Facebook. They bought WhatsApp because people were chatting with an app that want Facebook Messenger. They brought nothing new to Facebook's portfolio.

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Facebook deserves it. Google can, with a straight face, make the argument that they bought YouTube to shortcut they're way into a new market. Microsoft can make the argument that it bought LinkedIn to shortcut their way into a new market. Amazon can argue that it bought Twitch to shortcut its way into a new market.

Does it suck when these huge companies buy up these small and successful companies? Sure, but that's besides the point.

Facebook straight up bought Instagram because young people were sharing photos over something that wasn't Facebook. They bought WhatsApp because people were chatting with an app that want Facebook Messenger. They brought nothing new to Facebook's portfolio.

Did Facebook Messenger do voice calls back when they bought Whatsapp?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Did Facebook Messenger do voice calls back when they bought Whatsapp?

Yes, it did. WhatsApp didn't do anything Facebook Messenger didn't already do. All WhatsApp brought to Facebook was its userbase. I'm pretty sure I remember the acquisition being billed as very cheap on a cost per user basis. As with Instagram, Facebook has been pretty hands off with the development of both. That was, until they announced they were uniting the chat client technology and likely firing tons of staff in the process.