Trump administration asks Supreme Court to strike down Obamacare

Might be forgetting some things, but as I recall, before the pandemic, there were two things that really seemed to drop Trump's approval rating outside of the very narrow range that it's tended to stay in: passing the tax bill that was very obviously rigged towards the ultra-rich, and almost destroying the ACA before McCain blocked it. So on an tactical level, it seems insane to want to pursue this in an election year, but I guess they really are that sociopathic that they can't abide by a small subset of the country getting government subsidies to make the cost of health care slightly less crippling.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

Might be forgetting some things, but as I recall, before the pandemic, there were two things that really seemed to drop Trump's approval rating outside of the very narrow range that it's tended to stay in: passing the tax bill that was very obviously rigged towards the ultra-rich, and almost destroying the ACA before McCain blocked it. So on an tactical level, it seems insane to want to pursue this in an election year, but I guess they really are that sociopathic that they can't abide by a small subset of the country getting government subsidies to make the cost of health care slightly less crippling.

The Trump-era push to kill the ACA seemed to force a lot of the "pro ACA, anti Obamacare" mouth breathers to realize that the ACA is Obamacare.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

He's desperate. He's looking a these polling numbers and seeing that his own base is starting to abandon him which has always been his greatest fear. He'd rather lose with his base intact then lose catastrophically with a significant portion of his base abandoning him or worse, voting against him. That's why he looked so defeated after that rally last weekend. So he's playing the greatest hits in a desperate attempt to shore up his base. I don't even think it's about winning anymore... it's about not losing so badly that he stays relevant. That's really the only thing that makes sense at this point. Why else would you make this play DURING a global health crisis?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's desperate. He's looking a these polling numbers and seeing that his own base is starting to abandon him which has always been his greatest fear. He'd rather lose with his base intact then lose catastrophically with a significant portion of his base abandoning him or worse, voting against him. That's why he looked so defeated after that rally last weekend. So he's playing the greatest hits in a desperate attempt to shore up his base. I don't even think it's about winning anymore... it's about not losing so badly that he stays relevant. That's really the only thing that makes sense at this point. Why else would you make this play DURING a global health crisis?

If you're a right wing sycophant in DOJ this is perhaps the last chance to kill Obamacare.

This filing has less to do with trump than it does the conservative movement. They can lose trump, winning this case would be worth it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don’t get involved in much political debate, because I hold views from both sides of the aisle, but isn’t it obvious that this administration is just filled with bad people.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The states (Texas et al) will still be party to the suit.

I don't think it matters anyways, SCOTUS likely shuts this down like the previous 2 attempts simply because they'd be motivating dems to just pass M4A, which is really the only option left since strengthening the ACA would no longer be an option.  Its an astoundingly bad thing to do for the GOP all around.

34 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't think it matters anyways, SCOTUS likely shuts this down like the previous 2 attempts simply because they'd be motivating dems to just pass M4A, which is really the only option left since strengthening the ACA would no longer be an option.  Its an astoundingly bad thing to do for the GOP all around.

I don't think anyone has ever really accused the gop of acting in an intelligent fashion but they sure as shit are ideological