Sony proto VR controller

https://www.slashgear.com/this-sony-proto-vr-controller-gets-smarter-as-you-use-it-04619202/

smaragwe-1280x720.jpg

A video shared by Sony Interactive Entertainment shows a prototype controller that tracks the entire human hand. This controller was the subject of research done on overcoming the limits presented by gesture control systems and traditional controllers. With this new system, users would be able to utilize their hands and fingers without breaking the illusion that all of their digits are, indeed, being tracked in real time.

This full hand tracking used machine learning and capacitive sensors to break past the point at which previous trackers failed. This controller doesn’t pretend like users aren’t going to be interacting with handheld tools – the controller is integral in traversing a VR universe in which one is still stuck in a limited environment at home.

To create this new controller system, they created a prototype using 62 individual electrodes. They recorded training datasets of the many ways in which the hand generally moves in games using an optical tracking system. Together, these systems allow hand tracking and the virtual representation of hands in a game to grow better and better as the machine is fed more information.

31 minutes ago, silentbob said:

If they do this, I want to see a finger gun game like if you were a kid. Plus a Rock Paper,  Scissors game (I’m not going to lie) would be a fun game to play online

That would be cool. See how many games in a row you could win. 

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

That's pretty cool. I like how much effort Sony has put into the PSVR and I'm hopeful that the PSVR2 for the PS5 will be a big leap forward for them.

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised by my PSVR and considering it's on the lower end of the tech, I'm very optimistic about VR going forward.

Yup. Fantastic device and a whole lot of fun. REALLY looking forward to PSVR2.

15 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Wow, Sony making something that already exists without any major differences. That's not like them at all!

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

PC Gamers: this is kinda old, isn’t it?

Everyone Else: wow! That’s so neat!

:p 

To be fair, as far I as understand it they're accomplishing the same thing but in a different way. Sony's way isn't obviously better or cheaper, but it's still novel.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

To be fair, as far I as understand it they're accomplishing the same thing but in a different way. Sony's way isn't obviously better or cheaper, but it's still novel.

Yeah, that's fine. It just makes me roll my eyes especially hard at articles like this:

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/sony-reveals-finger-tracking-vr-controller-prototype

This video of Sony's new finger-tracking VR controller is off-the-charts incredible

Headline, followed by

DIDN’T VALVE ALREADY DO THIS? — Yes, earlier this year Valve released its long-anticipated Index VR set, which uses similar sensors to track users’ fingers through space, no camera required. Valve really got a head start on the whole finger-tracking scenario, but the Index VR set isn’t exactly intended for the average user. A full kit will run you about a thousand dollars, and it’s only compatible with a few select PC games.

near the bottom. I get that it's neat but the overselling some sites do is just weird. If you've already seen it, how is it "off-the-charts-incredible?"

Like this I saw last night:

QNewzJF.png

I get trying to hype something up to get clicks, but that thing looks like a Roomba and a taco fucked, y'know?

This is one of my real pet peeves. When you max out hype on some shit that isn't all that amazing it leaves no room to describe things that might actually reach those heights. Ah well, not a big deal, but that's what pet peeves are, after all!

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, that's fine. It just makes me roll my eyes especially hard at articles like this:

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/sony-reveals-finger-tracking-vr-controller-prototype

Headline, followed by

near the bottom. I get that it's neat but the overselling some sites do is just weird. If you've already seen it, how is it "off-the-charts-incredible?"

Like this I saw last night:

QNewzJF.png

I get trying to hype something up to get clicks, but that thing looks like a Roomba and a taco fucked, y'know?

This is one of my real pet peeves. When you max out hype on some shit that isn't all that amazing it leaves no room to describe things that might actually reach those heights. Ah well, not a big deal, but that's what pet peeves are, after all!

Yup. It’s not whether or not this is good or bad, it’s obviously good. It’s the “omg Sony does it again!!!!” headlines from this are kinda “... what?” :p 

Fair enough. I try my best to ignore the framing of stories like this. Everyone is involved in the same battle for clicks, and in gaming that often means hyping everything to the max and trying to stir up console war battles at every opportunity. It's terrible, but it's mostly inescapable. Better to just focus on the actual thing.