Valve Explains Why Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Was Never Made (IGN)

Commissar SFLUFAN

The story behind one of the greatest cliffhangers in gaming history.

It’s not often that an unanswered cliffhanger in a story becomes echoed so perfectly by one in real life – but the legendary, lingering end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and the real world silence that followed is anything but ordinary. 13 years after release, its heart-wrenching finale is still unresolved, and the once feverish “Half-Life 3 Confirmed!” memes have mostly lost steam. But now, after more than a decade, we’re getting a new Half-Life game – as well as some answers.

Scope creep is an interesting take on it.

I understand they feel like no matter what they put out it would most certainly disappoint people, but I also feel like that’s less of a big deal than it seems?? 

It just seems like a shame the story will never get resolved. Very unfulfilling. 

So Episode 2 got so big it took two years, and by that time they wanted to build Source 2, and they didn't want to repeat Half-Life 2 by building a Half Life game and an engine at the same time. Source 2 wasn't ready until ~2014, with DOTA being ported over in 2015. Alyx started development in 2016.

But most of all, they didn't need to churn out Half Life games to "make the quarterly numbers," so they just never got around to it.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I would literally rather have nothing than have my time wasted by more mediocre trash. Give it to me when it's good and ready!

Then you'll never get it. And that isn't fine with me. If you aren't gonna finish it then don't put it out in the first place.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Then you'll never get it. And that isn't fine with me. If you aren't gonna finish it then don't put it out in the first place.

I'm fine if I never get it! I'm inundated by games and stories as-is. Ending a saga on a wet fart just to get it out there is... bleh. No thanks. That said, I don't think they ever planned to not finish it. More like they just had other priorities and by the time those were done they didn't have the spark until now.

I just mean in general. Not with just half life. So many times I play game, read a book, or watch a tv show or anime and I never see an ending. I just feel like I wasted my time. That is how I feel towards KH and that is how I would feel with HL. 

23 hours ago, Bacon said:

I just mean in general. Not with just half life. So many times I play game, read a book, or watch a tv show or anime and I never see an ending. I just feel like I wasted my time. That is how I feel towards KH and that is how I would feel with HL. 

I think this is a very reductive view. There are so many works of art that I love that technically remain unfinished, but I'm so glad they exist and that I enjoyed them than for them to never have existed at all. Many are better than ones with "finished" stories. Berserk, Dune, etc. come to mind. Of course, I'd prefer they be finished, but I'd rather they remain unfinished than rushed just to be finished, as that takes away from the greatness that came before.

It's great that you feel that way, not being sarcastic, but I just don't. Like there is some great unfinished stuff, but that doesn't mean I can't feel like I have wasted my time. I am in no way a journey guy. I am all about the destination for the most part. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's great that you feel that way, not being sarcastic, but I just don't. Like there is some great unfinished stuff, but that doesn't mean I can't feel like I have wasted my time. I am in no way a journey guy. I am all about the destination for the most part. 

My thinking is similar to the famous Tennyson quote: "tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". I suppose you'd prefer never to have loved at all? :p :o