Update - Star Wars: The High Republic launch postponed to 2021

On the one hand, it's cool to see a new era we haven't explored, especially in a well-organized fashion. On the other hand...I don't trust that it will be good. There is nothing they can do that will be galaxy-shaking or have lasting impact due to the restrictions Disney will put on them, and from the history already established. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

On the one hand, it's cool to see a new era we haven't explored, especially in a well-organized fashion. On the other hand...I don't trust that it will be good. There is nothing they can do that will be galaxy-shaking or have lasting impact due to the restrictions Disney will put on them, and from the history already established. 

True but also who cares, “galaxy shaking” stuff is often uninteresting. Clone Wars and Rebels are fun as hell, expand the canon in great ways, even if some of the “conclusions” are obvious from jump. 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unless the galaxy in these stories is so different that whether galaxy shaking or lasting impact things that do happen are what create the galaxy we recognize more from the Skywalker era ;)

I think this could be a fun era to explore. It's well removed from the Skywalker saga and necessarily forces Star Wars to be something other than the scrappy Rebels beating back the huge monolithic force.

Good creators will find a way to tell good stories, bad ones will do the opposite. That's always been true for Star Wars.

57 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think this could be a fun era to explore. It's well removed from the Skywalker saga and necessarily forces Star Wars to be something other than the scrappy Rebels beating back the huge monolithic force.

Good creators will find a way to tell good stories, bad ones will do the opposite. That's always been true for Star Wars.

As long as they keep Chuck "Earth Metaphors and short sentences" Wendig away, I am happy. I tried to read Aftermath (the first new canon book) and I swear the opening paragraph was something like:

The Star Destroyer. It was large. It was like a sparrow, if a sparrow was an elephant. Slowly, it moved. Slowly. But powerfully, because of it's turbolasers. The Emperor was dead, like a caterpillar not to become a butterfly. Dead. Powerful. Powerfully dead.

Just horrible writing.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As long as they keep Chuck "Earth Metaphors and short sentences" Wendig away, I am happy. I tried to read Aftermath (the first new canon book) and I swear the opening paragraph was something like:

The Star Destroyer. It was large. It was like a sparrow, if a sparrow was an elephant. Slowly, it moved. Slowly. But powerfully, because of it's turbolasers. The Emperor was dead, like a caterpillar not to become a butterfly. Dead. Powerful. Powerfully dead.

Just horrible writing.

Chuck Wendig will probably never work with Disney/Marvel ever again.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Star Destroyer. It is large and full of anachronisms. It is like a sparrow, if a sparrow is a cop. Slowly, it moves. Slowly. But powerfully, because of its turbolasers. The Emperor is dead, like a caterpillar not to become a butterfly. Dead. Powerful. Powerfully dead. Cops. 

Ftfy

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Just horrible writing.

Sounds like Trump trying really hard to write Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Best part was the fix on my "its" typo.

My first job out of college was as an editor. Some things I just can't gloss over. Even if they're irrelevant to my point. :P

But seriously I can't believe Disney let that book be first out of the gate to introduce the new EU. Thankfully we've had some rather good ones since. Claudia Gray's Lost Stars was fantastic and easily better than 99% of the old EU. I'm happy to see she's in the slate of authors for this project.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My first job out of college was as an editor. Some things I just can't gloss over. Even if they're irrelevant to my point. :P

But seriously I can't believe Disney let that book be first out of the gate to introduce the new EU. Thankfully we've had some rather good ones since. Claudia Gray's Lost Stars was fantastic and easily better than 99% of the old EU. I'm happy to see she's in the slate of authors for this project.

I agree with Lost Stars. It's a solid book. Of the three I've read (Aftermath, Lost Stars, Alphabet Squadron), I've only really enjoy LS. I will probably give the new Luminous stuff a try.

• 3 months later...