~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Trump is odd man out as approval ratings soar for world leaders’ handling of the coronavirus pandemic

Trump loves Rasmussen, and yet:

As of Monday (April 13), however, Trump’s approval has slid nine points to 43%, while his disapproval has jumped nine points to 56%. That’s an 18-point swing against the president in about six weeks.

Other world leaders:

In Italy, ravaged by coronavirus, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s approval has rallied from 46% to 71%, according to local polling.

In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel, who has won raves for her quick and focused response to the pandemic, has seen her approval (which was high to begin with) jump 11 more points to 79%.

And French President Emmanuel Macron has seen a 15-point jump to 51%. Believe me, in France, where citizens grumble about as much as Americans do, that’s high.

Beyond those leaders, I suspect that the president is especially irritated that Andrew Cuomo is soaring. The New York governor — a Democrat who has been front-and-center for weeks now, micromanaging the pandemic that has hit Gotham harder than anywhere else — saw his approval jump 27 points to 71%, with 87% saying they approve of his handling of the crisis.

• Haha 1

I mean...fuck, Doug Ford is a champion of rational performance during this crisis. This kind of situation is a godsend for politicians, in terms of appearing credible and effective as leaders. All you need to do is look like you are serious, follow what other countries are doing (best practices), and say you care for people.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean...fuck, Doug Ford is a champion of rational performance during this crisis. This kind of situation is a godsend for politicians, in terms of appearing credible and effective as leaders. All you need to do is look like you are serious, follow what other countries are doing (best practices), and say you care for people.

Cuomo too, despite initially bungling the response. But giving a good press conference when Trump is ranting and raving on the TV every day makes you look good in comparison. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Cuomo too, despite initially bungling the response. But giving a good press conference when Trump is ranting and raving on the TV every day makes you look good in comparison. 

He did a good job ramping up testing in the state. And he gives these conferences daily, with easy to follow power points with good info. Credit where it's due; he's doing a lot right.

Also, that liberate shit is scary.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

He did a good job ramping up testing in the state. And he gives these conferences daily, with easy to follow power points with good info. Credit where it's due; he's doing a lot right.

Also, that liberate shit is scary.

Credit where credit is due, but a lot of people seem to be willfully forgetting where blame is due with Cuomo. 

Trump clearly just watched Cuomo's press conference... and has been reading some of the posts in this thread :p

Oh and about Cuomo's numbers...

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s poll numbers are soaring as he takes center stage in the response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Eighty-seven percent of registered voters in New York state say they approve of the job he’s doing steering the state’s efforts in combating the crisis, according to a Siena College poll released Monday. Even 70 percent of Republicans in New York give Cuomo a thumbs-up on the job he’s doing.

The amount of video of politicians being really wrong on Covid in January, February, and even March is nearly endless. I do think it’s probably good, for the time being, to focus on what is being done now. But a day of reckoning will be due, and receipts should be kept.

Look, it maybe hypocritical of Trump to complain about getting nothing done, and maybe it seems hysterical that he of all people complains more than anybody, and yes it's likely ridiculous that he's saying a person with a sky high approval rating has bad numbers when Trump's numbers are cratering

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Quebec has formally requested military assistance for their outbreak, and the federal government will deploy troops to assist medical personnel inside long-term care facilities. Most Canadian provinces seem to have flattened the curve remarkably, but Quebec has not (and Ontario isn't doing great, either).

Any reasons why this seems to be the case? Did it get out of control there earlier?

Fuck, it turns out that since I filed for 2020 and owed that they can't direct deposit the $1200. But when I go to the get my payment page it just says the can't determine my eligibility. So I have no idea if I'm supposed to just wait for my paper check with the idiot's name on it, or if I have to actively do something. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Look, it maybe hypocritical of Trump to complain about getting nothing done, and maybe it seems hysterical that he of all people complains more than anybody, and yes it's likely ridiculous that he's saying a person with a sky high approval rating has bad numbers when Trump's numbers are cratering

Was there a "but" coming? You left me hanging!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah.  Really surprised he is still comparing Swine flu to this, as he has completely fucked up the response to Coronavirus. 

Are you really surprised?

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fuck, it turns out that since I filed for 2020 and owed that they can't direct deposit the $1200. But when I go to the get my payment page it just says the can't determine my eligibility. So I have no idea if I'm supposed to just wait for my paper check with the idiot's name on it, or if I have to actively do something. 

Screenshot_20200417-105351_Messages.jpg

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's rich.

Also, one could easily take "Liberate XXXXX" as a dog-whistle for violent action. I'm sure that's completely unintentional.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/us/coronavirus-updates.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200417&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=115896096&segment_id=25406&user_id=9ac79024c1a997edb33b735efd1c9022

President Trump posted tweets openly fomenting protests of virus restrictions in three states with Democratic governors, less than a day after advising governors to “call your own shots” on reopening.

• Guillotine 1

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Any reasons why this seems to be the case? Did it get out of control there earlier?

Their spring/March break is a few weeks before the rest of Canada so they were out vacationing during the height of the spread and brought it back with them.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't know why this tweet sticks out to me right now.  It's a very simple Trump tweet, nothing major. It's just seeing the POTUS refer to people as Crazy Nancy and Cryin Chuck still makes my head spin. Like I said, it's so simple and shouldn't be surprising.  My brain just can't handle the time line we've slipped into. 

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don't know why this tweet sticks out to me right now.  It's a very simple Trump tweet, nothing major. It's just seeing the POTUS refer to people as Crazy Nancy and Cryin Chuck still makes my head spin. Like I said, it's so simple and shouldn't be surprising.  My brain just can't handle the time line we've slipped into. 

Yeah, Americans are dying and we're are experiencing a historic global pandemic and he still finds time to shade his enemies on Twitter like a teenaged girl :|