PS4 hits 106 million consoles sold, PSVR at 5 million, 103 million active users

SaysWho?

ENpASGLWsAAsOhr.jpg:orig

PS4 is now the second best-selling console of all time behind the PS2. Including handheld systems, it's 4 (DS and Game Boy/GB Color are 2nd and 3rd, respectively).

I still remember people convincing themselves that the high sales the first year were just hunger for new tech and there was no way the high sales could hold. #DeathofConsoles

48 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess I’m one of the 3 million nonactive users. Mine hasn’t been turned on since June, I believe. 

I dunno why, but I just giggled at the thought of Sony showing a pie chart with users and nonusers that had a gray sliver that said Cnut :p 

Info like this makes me think Sony is going to continue to have the dominate consoles going forward. Maybe even for all of next gen.  That's a ton of users locked into the Playstation brand. Between the free PS+ games given out and digital purchases tied to the account, I can't picture a lot of users just up and ditching the PS for the Xbox. Microsoft is doing a lot of good things to make their brand more attractive. It's just going to be a long battle. 

I was never loyal to a brand growing up. I had all Playstation's and Xbox's at one point or another. But now I have over 300 games tied to my PSN account between the free ones and purchases.  It would be foolish of me to start fresh in a other gaming eco system. 

16 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Info like this makes me think Sony is going to continue to have the dominate consoles going forward. Maybe even for all of next gen.  That's a ton of users locked into the Playstation brand. Between the free PS+ games given out and digital purchases tied to the account, I can't picture a lot of users just up and ditching the PS for the Xbox. Microsoft is doing a lot of good things to make their brand more attractive. It's just going to be a long battle. 

I was never loyal to a brand growing up. I had all Playstation's and Xbox's at one point or another. But now I have over 300 games tied to my PSN account between the free ones and purchases.  It would be foolish of me to start fresh in a other gaming eco system. 

I'm exactly the opposite, my investment is in XBL. I have over 400 games in my 'Ready to Install' list. That being said, I'll still buy a PS5 eventually, as I've owned every Playstation. It's just not my primary console.

However, I think MS knows the 100+ million Sony owners aren't going to suddenly flip a switch and buy into Xbox. That's why they're pushing Game Pass Ultimate and XCloud. They know a Pony can sub to Game Pass and play the new Halo without having to bear the shame of owning an Xbox. :p

Also, let's not forget that Sony now leases their servers from MS.