Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance (co-op ARPG) - Information Thread, update - reviews from OpenCritic posted

nublood

After watching that gameplay my interest in this dropped off. After reading that playing single player is tedious my interest dropped even further.

I guess I'll wait until I have a group of friends looking for something to play.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

After watching that gameplay my interest in this dropped off. After reading that playing single player is tedious my interest dropped even further.

I guess I'll wait until I have a group of friends looking for something to play.

I just watched some reviews and you're right, after hearing about the single player from multiple reviews, yikes, it was clearly an afterthought.  That's too bad, none of my friends who would play this will touch it until they can find a PS5.

Played the first map with a buddy. It has some good ideas but eeeeehhhh.... it's pretty rough. We'll give it a few more rounds.

My biggest personal gripe is the camera being glued behind the character. In a game like this, you gotta have full 360-degree movement. Not being able to attack a creature that's beside you until you turn the camera to face them is cumbersome at best. Plus, on top of that, when you lock onto an enemy, the camera pulls in even closer. When fighting something like a Verbeeg or any other large creature, you're literally so close to them you can't see anything. The enemy attacks are telegraphed but you can't even see the AOE to get out of because you're so fuckin'  close. There also doesn't seem to be any clear indication of where/how to dodge attacks. I've used Drizz't to dodge and it looks like I get out in time, but still take damage. That disconnect between their attacks and yours really hurts the gameplay.

It sucks to be bummed about this game cuz I'm a big Legend of Drizz't fan and I've been reading the books for a few years now. Currently about thirteen books in and they totally butchered Cattie-brie's character. She should sound like the elf chick from Vermintide II with that thick Irish/Scottish accent but instead sounds like a high school girl from Utah.

Well since this game looks really bad one could always play the recently re-released and remastered Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It retains the local couch co-op of the original game, but no online play though. Also no local co-op expanded to 3 players (the game has 3 playable characters).

https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-dark-alliance-review/

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well since this game looks really bad one could always play the recently re-released and remastered Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It retain the local couch co-op of the original game, but no online play though. Also no local co-op expanded to 3 players (the game has 3 playable characters).

https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-dark-alliance-review/

I watched Giant Bomb play this on UPF. Kinda funny, very minimal remastering done here. :p

35 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah unfortunately - but probably still better than this new one. :p 

Even better is since it's basically a port, it still uses the old cheat codes. If you want some easy achievements you an just put in the god mode code or even just skip to the end of the game.

• Haha 1

I played a bit more with a buddy last night. Still pretty rough. My opinions didn't change, but I will admit there's a bit of enjoyment there. Maybe it's my fandom keeping me invested.

My biggest gripe still remains the combat. It's like they tried to blend two different play styles (God of War and looter dungeon crawler) but didn't stick the landing. As a result it's not nearly as good as either of the playstyles they were inspired by. It just doesn't work.

It sucks because I think everything else about the game is fine. Yeah they got some bugs and some latency to iron out too, but the foundation is good. But the combat suuuuuuuuucks. I really wish I could flip a switch and just turn it into a mindless top-down hack n slash like the OG Dark Alliance. I'd rather have mindless combat that works than a combo/camera system that doesn't.

I know it's over-simplifying things, but I'd be perfectly happy with Kingdoms of Amalur-style combat.

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also if you want to see new giant bomb play it.

I watched that whole thing which is a first for me. Hopefully they can patch the input lag and enemy A.I. because the combat is the one thing this game needed to get right. I won't be able to try it myself for another week but the laggy combat and lazy enemies I saw in this stream make the game look like a chore.

Watching Gerstmann play it made me want to stay far away from it until it receives some substantial patches.  It looks awful in its current form as a single player title.  I had a lot of fun with Werewolf: The Apocalypse  Earthblood despite it being a fairly shallow game, and I was hoping for the same from this one, but unlike Warewolf which was a technically sound game, D&D looks broken in a staggering number of ways.