Sony Interactive Entertainment to Shut Down PlayStation Vue January 30

SaysWho?

PlayStation fans can continue to access movie and TV content through the PlayStation Store on PS4 and via our partnerships with top entertainment apps.

Today we are announcing that we will shut down the PlayStation Vue service on January 30, 2020. Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected. Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business.

Vue is a great service and I'll use it until the end. One last football season, and then my antenna can get me to the Super Bowl. :p 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The content providers (particularly sports channels) are trying to charge cable/internet/satellite providers through the nose.  And with subscribers falling, they keep increasing the price.

Luckily I have DAZN in Canada (where $150/year gets me all NFL games plus other sports).

Cable is basically at a grab as much money as you can stage.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The content providers (particularly sports channels) are trying to charge cable/internet/satellite providers through the nose.  And with subscribers falling, they keep increasing the price.

Luckily I have DAZN in Canada (where $150/year gets me all NFL games plus other sports).

Lol at first I was thinking $150 per month, and I was going to say that sounds fucking awful. 

I cut off my cable not too long ago. Kind of miss watching hockey games, but enjoy saving money so much more.

I never even considered using Playstation Vue. With Playstation in the name, I always assumed it was for folks with a PS device. Maybe if they changed its name, it would do better.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/sony-seeks-to-bail-from-streaming-tv-business-by-selling-off-playstation-vue/?comments=1&post=38169649#comment-38169649

That's a shame. I hear all the live TV services are struggling. While my viewing habits have convinced me I don't really use them anymore(got Hulu live for a couple monthes and found myself barely using it) it's always nice to have the option so I hope they don't all fail.

I typically bought a month or two of Vue every year as their package was the best one to view all the NBA Playoffs games along with Fox Sports 1 which is a nice bonus for some UFC events....though they spread them so much over different outlets now it's not the benefit it used to be.

27 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

That's a shame. I hear all the live TV services are struggling. While my viewing habits have convinced me I don't really use them anymore(got Hulu live for a couple monthes and found myself barely using it) it's always nice to have the option so I hope they don't all fail.

I typically bought a month or two of Vue every year as their package was the best one to view all the NBA Playoffs games along with Fox Sports 1 which is a nice bonus for some UFC events....though they spread them so much over different outlets now it's not the benefit it used to be.

Even I am starting to feel it at work. I am a Spanish rep but even on our side most people just call for internet now.

It’s kinda crazy because it seems like vue broke through to the masses pretty well. A lot of people in my general vicinity have it and they certainly don’t play video games. 

I currently have hulu’s live service, but I’ve had about every one that exists, and they all seem to have pros and cons, channels I want and lack others I want. 

It certainly isn't the future I imagined.  In fact, considering what you pay for them it’s as bad a deal as fucking ever. They continue to package bullshit channels I’ll never watch in with the 2-3 channels I want. 

I always thought Playstation Vue was a me too answer to Microsoft making TV shows, and they were going to make their own shows. Well they made 1 show, Microsoft made no shows. But then it was a TV subscription service and my mom asked one day if she needed a playstation to use it and even I had to look that up.