Games Pass effect: Early signs Gears 5 isn't selling well compared to Gears 4

crispy4000

On 9/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, Xbob42 said:

There's a reason you could get 2 months of Ultimate for $2 when Gears 5 launched. They're not interested in getting a single sale from you anymore. I mean, they'll gladly take it, I'm sure. But building up a stronger and stronger library over time and keeping you from unsubbing is clearly their end goal. Exclusives don't come out often enough (on ANY platform) for them to make more money from direct sales over keeping people subbed. And the more games you play through Game Pass, the less games you're buying, which makes it harder to stop paying, because your personal library becomes more and more tied to Game Pass, eventually you'd be losing damn near 100% of your relevant library of games if you let your subscription lapse, or as close to that number as they can hope to get, anyway.

We're still in the early days of their real plan with this, and I'm sure it'll really come into focus next gen.

Origin Premier is a great example of this as well. For 100 dollars I played FIFA 19, Battlefield V, and Anthem for less then buying them.

I don't mind a subscription model. Though I do wonder what steam will offer for a sub service. 

It also hurts less since I am so addicted to Paradox games I don't need anything else.

This post reminds me I need to actually use Game Pass for PC.

18 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Origin Premier is a great example of this as well. For 100 dollars I played FIFA 19, Battlefield V, and Anthem for less then buying them.

I don't mind a subscription model. Though I do wonder what steam will offer for a sub service. 

It also hurts less since I am so addicted to Paradox games I don't need anything else.

You do, since Outer Worlds will be free there, which I'm sure Epic is thrilled about after paying millions for exclusivity from Steam. Oh, you spent a dollar for a month of Game Pass and have our exclusive? Welp.

55 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

If you’re the type of gamer that will be buying 2+ games a year new from individual publishers, a subscription centric future might be up to your speed.

But the way I see it, if you can wait ~2 months for price drops, you could have bought each of those three games for roughly the same sum total but own them forever, no recurring paywall.  A little patience can pay off.

The bigger subscription perks are the access to older title libraries.  And in some cases, indies too.  Personally, my backlog is already too big for that to be a major draw.  And PC game deals are still crazy these days, even subscribe-to-own options which I much prefer as a model.

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

In my experience you can browse and launch games from the Xbox app, but you have to download them from the Microsoft store. The Xbox app is constantly suggesting that I join Game Pass. It’s fun.

Well for game pass they released a different Xbox app (did you get the new one?) and you launch and download games through that app.

I’m pretty sure I downloaded whatever the Game Pass website told me to download, back when Game Pass for PC first started. I’m not at home now to check, but it’s called Xbox (beta).

EDIT: ok, I'm home now and found out what was wrong (kinda). My Microsoft store account was different than the one I used to set up my Xbox Game Pass. But since that was the case, I'm not sure why I was able to download Game Pass games from the Microsoft store if I wasn't signed into my Game Pass account there, only on the Xbox app. So now that I've changed the account that is signed into the Microsoft store to the Game Pass account, the Xbox app will let me download my Game Pass game without needing the MS store. Weird. Also the Xbox app no longer constantly prompts me to join Game Pass. So that's nice.

TLDR: make sure you're logged into the same account on both the Xbox app and the Microsoft store. 

On 10/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Subscriptions are the wave of the future. 

Maybe, but I am unlikely to buy any DLC for a game I don't actually own. I mean, you can say that you don't really own any game fully, especially digital,  but I own it enough to buy DLC. This is assuming DLC won't be free for games on game pass. Microtransactions are still a thing with game pass so I doubt Story DLC will be free. In a way, it is similar to MMO's, but the differences are enough that it makes it barely tolerable for MMO's. 

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

Here's another dev saying GP has helped sales:

Yeah, I mentioned Decenders earlier in the thread. It can still be a good thing for indies in certain circumstances.

Rocket League is the poster child for piggybacking off of a subscription service.