RIP in Peace, MoviePass

What a wild ride that was, huh? (The Verge)

MoviePass, the subscription service that spent enormous amounts of venture capitalists’ money subsidizing movie tickets in a bid to upend the theater business model, is officially shutting down on September 14th. The news was announced today via emails to subscribers and separately in a press release issued by parent company Helios and Matheson. It marks the end of a tumultuous two-year saga that saw a once-popular platform go to extreme lengths to keep its business running, despite the obvious and fraught financial cost.

• 2 weeks later...

While sheer scale makes companies like Uber and We Work the poster children for VC funded nonsense, moviepass is my gold standard for insane business strategies. It's still shocking to me that for a single monthly payment of less than one ticket, moviepass would absorb the full retail cost of as many tickets as I was willing to show up for.

I'll give them the credit for accelerating the release of viable theater subscription services, but everyone who gave them money should be put in the investors hall of shame.

• Haha 1