"1917" - trailer for WWI film directed by Sam Mendes, cinematographed by Roger Deakins (Christmas 2019 release), update: reviews going over the top

• 3 weeks later...

It's always a bit odd when a movie like this can win a bunch of awards before most people have a chance to see it. You also have to consider that the voting body probably watched it at home on a DVD screener.

I've got my Dolby Cinema tickets booked for Friday.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You also have to consider that the voting body probably watched it at home on a DVD screener.

Umm that's EXACTLY how they watched it... or at special screenings set up for The Hollywood  Foreign Press. This is awards season so screeners and screenings are everywhere right now, even for films that haven't been released widely. 

I got through 30-40 minutes of it last night, then we got kicked out of the theater (at the mall) due to a tornado warning. Of course a tornado didn’t come anywhere near us. Anyways, by the time the warning cleared it was too late for me to start from the beginning. 

What I had seen was good so far, and it was getting better. 

I’ve got a ticket for a showing this afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I got through 30-40 minutes of it last night, then we got kicked out of the theater (at the mall) due to a tornado warning. Of course a tornado didn’t come anywhere near us. Anyways, by the time the warning cleared it was too late for me to start from the beginning. 

What I had seen was good so far, and it was getting better. 

I’ve got a ticket for a showing this afternoon. 

Do they at least refund you for that? 

Went with my Wife last night, we really enjoyed it. It doesn't try to tell the story of the entire war, it purely focuses on the 2 main characters. But through their eyes you experience the gruesome horrors of trench warfare and the destructive cost of war on the cities and people caught in the middle.

6 hours ago, Anzo said:

Movie was fantastic. 2 long and glorious one shots. Riveting. 

There are more cuts than that I think, but it is still an amazing thing. The other cuts are so quick and subtle. I could be wrong by when it goes in close to the point blurring, then back out was used a couple times, and when the camera passes by an obstruction large enough to block the characters. Even if those are spots where they cut, it was only done a handful of times. 

5 hours ago, johnny said:

It is a phenomenal achievement and a great film. I hope the physical release has a lot of special features. 

this is a movie you absolutely must see in the theatre if possible 

I would like to see some special features. Amazing. I did see one thing where they built everything. They weren’t different stages, it was from beginning to end, one HUGE practical set. That alone impresses me. 

I agree, worth seeing in theaters, for sure. This felt like WWI’s “Saving Private Ryan”, but even more immersive. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

There are more cuts than that I think, but it is still an amazing thing. The other cuts are so quick and subtle. I could be wrong by when it goes in close to the point blurring, then back out was used a couple times, and when the camera passes by an obstruction large enough to block the characters. Even if those are spots where they cut, it was only done a handful of times. 

I would like to see some special features. Amazing. I did see one thing where they built everything. They weren’t different stages, it was from beginning to end, one HUGE practical set. That alone impresses me. 

I agree, worth seeing in theaters, for sure. This felt like WWI’s “Saving Private Ryan”, but even more immersive. 

I was paying meticulous attention once I realized what was going on (about 10 minutes in). I hadn't even seen a trailer prior so had no idea to expect it. It is continuous. Do I actually believe that they did the whole film in one continue take? No way, but they edited it in such a way that it seem that way. Yeah, the camera would go in close on a house or rampart or something where they would obviously cut. But it didn't come across that way in the movie. 

10 minutes ago, Anzo said:

I was paying meticulous attention once I realized what was going on (about 10 minutes in). I hadn't even seen a trailer prior so had no idea to expect it. It is continuous. Do I actually believe that they did the whole film in one continue take? No way, but they edited it in such a way that it seem that way. Yeah, the camera would go in close on a house or rampart or something where they would obviously cut. But it didn't come across that way in the movie. 

It was very impressive. I knew they filmed it that way going in and yes, I knew a single 120+ minute take would be impossible. I was impressed with what they did. Very. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It was very impressive. I knew they filmed it that way going in and yes, I knew a single 120+ minute take would be impossible. I was impressed with what they did. Very. 

Absolutely! I found an article with a good 10 minutes video on how they broke down some scenes. Spoilers obviously for those that haven't seen it. https://www.insider.com/how-1917-was-filmed-like-one-continuous-shot-wwi-2020-1

I found 1917 to be far more impressive than anything else. It's amazing to consider the work that went into planning and executing this film, but in the end, I'm not sure it's actually a better movie for it, and I think in some ways it might actually be worse. There are plenty of times where the continuous shot mechanic increased the tension and amped up the emotion, but those were probably the times that other directors would also have put in a long take. For much of the rest of the film, it was more distracting than anything. Forcing the camera into awkward angles or 180 degree turns where a standard cut would have felt more natural.

I think the primary failure of the film is that the the script is just isn't very good. Forced into a very narrow box by the aesthetic demands, it fails to effectively communicate any emotion other than exhilaration or tension, save for one scene in a basement. The ending in particular was an emotional failure. Jammed right in after another incredible action sequence, it fell completely flat in a moment that should be anything but.

1917 isn't a bad movie by any stretch. Beyond being simply a production achievement it is a beautiful film. Even without being a single shot, there are scenes here well deserving of awards consideration. There are sections of the film I had to consciously remember to breathe, such is the efficacy of the action on display. Still, it's in the light of those highs that it's failures register all the more loudly. As a "one shot" film, 1917 is also a one trick pony. Able to brilliantly portray the tensions of war, but ineffective at much else.

I'll also add that the Dolby Cinema presentation was incredible, and I highly recommend seeking such a theater out if you can. The sharpness of the picture, the HDR, and the sound were all just top notch. Without seeing it in another theater I don't know how much was unique to the Dolby experience, but I felt a crispness in everything that was lacking in other Dolby films.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...