AT&T wants to overhaul HBO, says it isn’t profitable enough

It's pretty funny that after Netflix was chasing HBO that with this acquisition it's now HBO that will be chasing Netflix.

They mention heavier investment, but I somehow doubt they're willing to invest in the same way that Netflix does, given that they want to make more profit.

Look at this chart of spending last year. This year, Netflix is expected to spend close to $8B on content. That's not just more than the $2B that HBO spends, that's more than all of Time Warner spends on non-sports content. HBO has been doing very well for themselves, and making lots of money doing it. Chasing after some kind of more tech startup level growth in a stable and profitable operation like HBO is a bad idea, and one that I don't think AT&T will be willing to fund.

The worst case scenario is if they decide that they want to try and chase after Netflix levels of new content without spending Netflix levels of money. If they do, I think it will be the beginning of the end of HBO because it's impossible to imagine them keeping the quality level up.

All of this also leaves out amazon, who will probably be spending $6B this year, and then we have Apple and Facebook that will be ramping up their original content machines as well.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, SFLUFAN said:

Ehhhhh - I'd say their "good run" ended a few years ago and they've been coasting ever since.

Game of Thrones is not over yet.  Also if you haven't watched 'Barry' you should give it a shot.  I'm not personally a fan of Westworld.  But they can't all be zingers.  

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE Game of Thrones :p

I quit after the Red Wedding because I realized that not all of the characters were killed off :p

Well then watch Barry.  It is a very different show, which is great.  It is not a cookie cutter of anything.

I can understand not liking Game of Thrones.  I like it... but I totally get people that don't.  There are reasons to not.

Just now, number305 said:

Well then watch Barry.  It is a very different show, which is great.  It is not a cookie cutter of anything.

I can understand not liking Game of Thrones.  I like it... but I totally get people that don't.  There are reasons to not.

I REALLY liked the couple of episodes of Barry that I did see!

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

ATT is one of the worst companies I know of. They are one of the least innovative pieces of shit that exists. This is really bad news for HBO.

I hate ATT with a passion because I'm stuck with them because I can't get any other ISP in my area but them and they won't invest in better tech in my area as well. I'm stuck with 18Mbs down and 1Mbs upload. It's bee. This way for the past 10 years. Most everyone I know has at least 50Mbs down and 20Mbs up. Fuck them. I can't wait to move and break all ties with them.