Economy added 253,000 jobs in April, unemployment falls to 3.6%, new 50-year low

The labor market turned in a strong showing for the second straight month in April as employers added a booming 253,000 jobs, easing concerns that a slowing global and U.S. economy could dampen hiring.

The unemployment rate fell from 3.8% to 3.6%, a new 50-year low, the Labor Department said Friday.

Economists had estimated that 190,000 jobs were added last month, according to a Bloomberg survey.

Several crosscurrents were expected to affect April employment. Midwest snowstorms were likely to reduce job gains by about 20,000, Goldman Sachs estimated.

Meanwhile, the research firm estimated that early federal government hiring for the 2020 census would increase employment additions by up to 10,000. High Frequency Economics forecast a bigger boost of about 20,000 from Census-related hiring. Those jobs, however, are temporary.

The bigger question is how much slowing economic growth and worker shortages will crimp hiring this year. The European and Chinese economies have been sputtering, though the latter recently has shown signs of improvement. And the effects of U.S. government tax cuts and spending increases, which juiced the economy in 2018, are set to fade this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/economy-added-253-000-jobs-in-april-unemployment-falls-to-3-6-new-50-year-low/ar-AAAQMUa?ocid=AMZN

16 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember when unemployment was at like 6% and a bunch of economists were like, "This is the new permanent unemployment rate. Not enough people trained for STEM jobs, plus robots are coming to replace everyone." Oops.

Are economists ever right about anything? No one, no one, no one, no one can predict the future. 

5 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember when unemployment was at like 6% and a bunch of economists were like, "This is the new permanent unemployment rate. Not enough people trained for STEM jobs, plus robots are coming to replace everyone." Oops.

Good thread.

23 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Yay more crappy jobs!

Actually wages are rising now for the first time in awhile.

All good news.  I think this has more to do with the Fed’s decisions more so than Trump, (and that we’re building on the natural momentum that is stirred up in the late stages of a recovery from a depression) but we should all be celebrating more jobs for everyone, even if the wrong person gets the credit, and even if it boosts the re-election chances of a crappy president.

Long-term, more work and better pay for everyone are more important than any narrower political concerns.

I just hate that every idiotic conservative automatically thinks that the economy got good the moment Trump took office, mainly because he spent the entire election cycle claiming that Obama’s job numbers and unemployment rates were faked.

5 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I just hate that every idiotic conservative automatically thinks that the economy got good the moment Trump took office, mainly because he spent the entire election cycle claiming that Obama’s job numbers and unemployment rates were faked.

I had a job interview around August/September 2016 with a small business owner who sold pumps, valves, and other similar things. I was told during the interview that despite good and growing sales (and no long term debt) that if Trump weren't elected the economy, and thus his business, would tank because of Clinton.

I don't think I was a good cultural fit, despite my interview performance