Richard Lugar, Longtime Indiana Senator And Foreign Policy Leader, Dies At 87

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/28/718023418/richard-lugar-longtime-indiana-senator-and-foreign-policy-leader-dies-at-87

Richard Lugar, the former Indiana senator whose work in pursuit of nuclear non-proliferation helped cement his place as one of the Republican Party's most influential voices on foreign policy, died on Sunday at the age of 87.

The former six-term senator died in Falls Church, Va. of complications from a neurological disorder known as chronic inflammatory demylinating polyneuropathy. Lugar's wife Charlene and his four sons — Mark, Bob, John and David — were with him at the time of his death, following a short illness in the hospital, according to a statement from the Lugar Center.

Lugar's political career began in 1964 when he was elected to the Indianapolis Board of School Commissioners. As the school board's vice president, he worked to desegregate the city's schools, according to The Indianapolis Star.

He went on to serve two terms as Indianapolis' mayor before his election to the U.S. Senate in 1976.

h2gn07e4cirx.jpg?1556498791

article-2573557-1C0BB61700000578-574_634

9 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Not going to lie:  I have no idea who this is.

He's the Senator who stepped down and allowed Democrats to pick up the seat for six years in 2012. He also was one of the Republicans with whom Obama worked when he joined the Senate.

15 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Lugar merged the city and county governments in Indianapolis, which resulted in Republican control of a blue city for decades.  I can see why Obama likes him. 

Regardless of the actual politics of it, this is the right move. Fragmented metro areas is awful for metro areas. 

I'm basing this largely from my experience living here in Richmond. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the goal was somehow to keep white people from fleeing the city nothing would have worked. But to keep a single municipal area under a common government to reduce administration costs, and coordinate policy like bussing and schools, it's for the best.

Cmon man, the dude just died, please give us some time to shit on him.

• Haha 1

The one time I was actually gleeful to "shit" on someone was Charleston Heston. I didn't even have a strong dislike for him (even though I thought his gun positions have been harmful), but after he died, people said, "*pries gun from fingers* Too soon?" and when admonished, I think somebody, maybe @CitizenVectron or @Ricofoley, said, "C'mon, this is a once-after-a-lifetime opportunity."

I died. Not like Heston, but I did.

6 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the goal was somehow to keep white people from fleeing the city nothing would have worked. But to keep a single municipal area under a common government to reduce administration costs, and coordinate policy like bussing and schools, it's for the best.

The actual needs of people don't amount to anything to twitter's rose brigade.

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The one time I was actually gleeful to "shit" on someone was Charleston Heston. I didn't even have a strong dislike for him (even though I thought his gun positions have been harmful), but after he died, people said, "*pries gun from fingers* Too soon?" and when admonished, I think somebody, maybe @CitizenVectron or @Ricofoley, said, "C'mon, this is a once-after-a-lifetime opportunity."

I died. Not like Heston, but I did.

lol, I don't think that was me. I don't remember that.