Arizona bill would lower minimum wage for students

One of the effects of higher minimum wages is that it effectively locks out the young, and low or no skilled labor force out of even menial jobs.  If an employer must pay at least $15 an hour to flip burgers, does it make sense to pay someone with an education and is a bit older to do the job over a student?  Of course it does. 

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

One of the effects of higher minimum wages is that it effectively locks out the young, and low or no skilled labor force out of even menial jobs.  If an employer must pay at least $15 an hour to flip burgers, does it make sense to pay someone with an education and is a bit older to do the job over a student?  Of course it does. 

Based on what information?

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Or, wild idea here, pay someone with an education and a bit older even more than $15 an hour since they’re worth more.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Based on what information?

Logic?  If you were a business owner, who would you choose to hire? Someone with experience, education, and stability?  Or someone who may have never worked in their life, and has to schedule work around school and homework?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Logic?  If you were a business owner, who would you choose to hire? Someone with experience, education, and stability?  Or someone who may have never worked in their life, and has to schedule work around school and homework?

To flip burgers? I'd probably hire the students... more compliant, less outside distractions. There's pro and con reasons for each.

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Lol logic and experience literally dictates the opposite. The former guy is way more likely to leave. 

Every time lately there has been a minimum wage increase I have never seen McDonalds, grocery stores, and other retail, or food chains refuse to hire high school kids. 

The biggest problem with the minimum wage is the same problem with everything else. Shareholders. An increase in labor cost, whether pay or benefits will never be passed on to the Earnings of shareholders and board member. They expect to make more and more each year regardless of the cost of business. 

So either the cost of goods/services goes up, or the amount of money hours used for labor decreases. So either stuff gets more expensive or people are working less hours. 

With either result the minimum wage has little effect for the worker. In some cases both happen. So they are worse off than they were before. 

Most minimum-ish wage jobs wouldn’t be good for people with education and experience. They would be looking for something better the whole time. I’d much rather have a high school or college aged kid making popcorn than a forty year old in between jobs. They also tend to be more teachable, while the older people think they know best how to do everything.

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Logic? I bet you also think the tax cuts trickle down. In the real work McDonald’s will still hire highschool students and just reduce their hours. 

34 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I thought I read Amazon, maybe next time!

If they can pay school kids less than minimum wage, I can see amazon changing their work force at the warehouses to all kids in school. Amazon don’t give no fucks. 

If child labor laws laws were reversed today, Amazon would have toddlers strapping packages to drones by tomorrow afternoon.  

I would not not be surprised if they have explored whether they could legally be concidered a Chinese family business so they can kids to work for them for free all hours of the day.