So I bought a new toy and it was the PS VR

Hurdyb1

I had to rebuy Star Wars Battlefront as I got rid of it when I got Battlefront 2. Luckily Battlefront was only $3 at Gamestop but I had to get it cause it had a X Wing VR mission and I really enjoyed it. It lasted 26 mins for me and I can see myself playing this when I'm having a Star Wars itch to scratch which can be quite often.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@stepee

Would you say the RE7 DLC is worth it in VR?  I read some reviews of the DLC in non-VR and to be honest none of particularly interests me unless it does something great in VR.  I can get the base game for half the price as the gold edition right now.

Isn't the DLC just like a blackjack game?

Well I've only got to try it for an hour since I hooked it up last Friday, but I am impressed. I love the depth perception. I have a pretty difficult time telling depth in 3d games on a 2d TV,  so this VR is great. I tried the first level of Astro Bot and the X Wing mission in Battlefront. 

But my experience wasn't flawless. I am playing on a base PS4, I can tell the huge hit in graphical effects and resolution. Lots of aliasing. It looked like I was sitting close to a big 720p screen. As someone mentioned earlier a Pro should help,  but how does the PSVR headset screen compare to the Rift and Vive? 

Also I should not use the included HDMI cable,  right? Currently I am and it seems to impact the visual fidelity of the PS4 signal being sent to my TV. For example watching a video with the PS4 plex app looks like shut compared to the plex app on a firestick. 

And on the headset I seemed to notice some ghosting in the screen with Astro bot. I didn't think there would be any since it is OLED,  right?  Is the ghosting normal? It didn't look like purposeful motion blur as implemented in a game setting because it was inconsistent. I'm thinking it's related to the shirtty HDMI cable. 

@stepee

@Mr.Vic20

@Hurdyb1

16 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Well I've only got to try it for an hour since I hooked it up last Friday, but I am impressed. I love the depth perception. I have a pretty difficult time telling depth in 3d games on a 2d TV,  so this VR is great. I tried the first level of Astro Bot and the X Wing mission in Battlefront. 

But my experience wasn't flawless. I am playing on a base PS4, I can tell the huge hit in graphical effects and resolution. Lots of aliasing. It looked like I was sitting close to a big 720p screen. As someone mentioned earlier a Pro should help,  but how does the PSVR headset screen compare to the Rift and Vive? 

Also I should not use the included HDMI cable,  right? Currently I am and it seems to impact the visual fidelity of the PS4 signal being sent to my TV. For example watching a video with the PS4 plex app looks like shut compared to the plex app on a firestick. 

And on the headset I seemed to notice some ghosting in the screen with Astro bot. I didn't think there would be any since it is OLED,  right?  Is the ghosting normal? It didn't look like purposeful motion blur as implemented in a game setting because it was inconsistent. I'm thinking it's related to the shirtty HDMI cable. 

@stepee

@Mr.Vic20

@Hurdyb1

While Vive and Oculus have the advantage of being hooked up to a much more powerful GPU, the lens and screen resolutions of all existing mass market VR headset are not particularly dissimilar. So yes, Vive and Oculus can look a bit cleaner, but honestly PSVR on the Pro is very comparable  to the high end PC experience.  As for ghosting, I think there is a little bit of that with all of the headsets, though I don't recall any of that in astrobot specifically. 

43 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

While Vive and Oculus have the advantage of being hooked up to a much more powerful GPU, the lens and screen resolutions of all existing mass market VR headset are not particularly dissimilar. So yes, Vive and Oculus can look a bit cleaner, but honestly PSVR on the Pro is very comparable  to the high end PC experience.  As for ghosting, I think there is a little bit of that with all of the headsets, though I don't recall any of that in astrobot specifically. 

I need to try more games and demos then. Just double checked the huge list of games that show base Vs pro enhancements, and sure enough Astro Bot does run at 900p on the base. It's only 60 fps too, which explains why I felt the motion sickness when the camera moved to a new area and why I had slight eye strain.  I had assumed the game was running closer to the native resolution of the headset since the graphical effects and model detail were scaled down from what I'm used to. 

And now I'm thinking the ghosting is probably due to the shitty resolution being scaled to the headset, but the HDMI cables are still suspect because Plex looks like ass. 

7 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I need to try more games and demos then. Just double checked the huge list of games that show base Vs pro enhancements, and sure enough Astro Bot does run at 900p on the base. It's only 60 fps too, which explains why I felt the motion sickness when the camera moved to a new area and why I had slight eye strain.  I had assumed the game was running closer to the native resolution of the headset since the graphical effects and model detail were scaled down from what I'm used to. 

And now I'm thinking the ghosting is probably due to the shitty resolution being scaled to the headset, but the HDMI cables are still suspect because Plex looks like ass. 

I didn't realize the performance hit was that great, though it certainly makes sense given the power disparity between the two units. 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, Hurdyb1 said:

I had to rebuy Star Wars Battlefront as I got rid of it when I got Battlefront 2. Luckily Battlefront was only $3 at Gamestop but I had to get it cause it had a X Wing VR mission and I really enjoyed it. It lasted 26 mins for me and I can see myself playing this when I'm having a Star Wars itch to scratch which can be quite often.

They REALLLLYYY need to make a dedicated VR game.  The one mission was so good.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I've never heard of the issue with the included HDMI cords. I don't think I've experienced ghosting but I know I need to go in and do more of the setting up. I've seen a few videos that say it's dang near criminal how the PSVR set up is not more in-depth than it is. I've liked what I have seen and plainly just get too side tracked, lol.

1 hour ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I've never heard of the issue with the included HDMI cords. I don't think I've experienced ghosting but I know I need to go in and do more of the setting up. I've seen a few videos that say it's dang near criminal how the PSVR set up is not more in-depth than it is. I've liked what I have seen and plainly just get too side tracked, lol.

Well I should emphasize that I am coming from a PC gaming perspective.  I have a 144 Hz monitor, and most of the time when I'm gaming I make sure to turn down settings so that my frame rate stays above 144 Hz and I maximize my refresh rate advantage.  This is mostly in online multiplayer matches, which I play 90% of the time.  For single player games I do like my framerate to stay above 60.  So I am trained to look for those differences - ghosting, motion blur, frame rate spikes, stuttering, and etc.  When I was super-competitive I turned on ULMB (ultra low motion blur, aka backlight strobing, aka LightBoost) to achieve crystal clear images during any kind of motion, but on my particular monitor that also puts a huge hit on color accuracy.  Everything turns very grey and dull.  Tracking other players movement becomes much easier, but identifying them among the background particularly when they're far off in the distance and a tiny spec on the monitor becomes harder.

And I don't know if the cords are the issue.  But at a quick glance they look cheap and thin.  And it's possible that the other cord I'm using, which is now older, could be the culprit too.  I'm also not using the ideal HDMI port on my TV (it's a cheap Vizio), so I'm going to try switching ports on the TV to see if that improves the picture quality.  But I'm probably going to order some higher quality, and shorter cables, just to get my entertainment center more organized.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I didn't realize the performance hit was that great, though it certainly makes sense given the power disparity between the two units. 

One of my buddies has a Pro so next week I want to arrange a side-by-side comparison.  VR is a new territory for me so I don't know how these numbers translate to real life benefits.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

One of my buddies has a Pro so next week I want to arrange a side-by-side comparison.  VR is a new territory for me so I don't know how these numbers translate to real life benefits.

I doubt the fedelity  increase will blow you away, but the higher frame rates will likely prevent you from blowing chunks! :p

The Pro doesn't add pixels. While you're going to get better framerates, the IQ is never going to be clear because the pixels are literally up against your eyes. The darker the image, the worse it's going to get, because you can see the pixels. 

Movies do seem more watchable using the Pro, though. But still nowhere as clear as non-VR. 

The pro does actually add pixels in some games just because they are a higher native on pro, but even if not that the extra AA makes for a much cleaner picture. But yeah, the iq just isn’t the best on any headset yet. As far as ghosting, since never noticed it but I’ve only ever played psvr on the pro. I’m highly skeptical that the cables are causing any issue.

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

The pro does actually add pixels in some games just because they are a higher native on pro, but even if not that the extra AA makes for a much cleaner picture. But yeah, the iq just isn’t the best on any headset yet. As far as ghosting, since never noticed it but I’ve only ever played psvr on the pro. I’m highly skeptical that the cables are causing any issue.

Yeah thanks for that input.  I just put the headset on for only the second time and took a closer look.  What I was trying to describe was simply being able to see the grid of actual physical LED pixels, and I was just wondering how the PS headset compared to others on the market in this regard.  I could see the screen door effect on the  home screen, which I would assume would be rendered at native resolution.

I think the slight ghosting I thought I saw in Astro Bot was just the result of the game running at such a low resolution.  When moving the character there would be a weird trail, weird as in it wasn't a consistent trail like you would expect with traditional motion blurring techniques or your typical 60 Hz LCD blurring.  It was a bit of a shimmering ghosting.  So my conclusion is that is how the 900p signal was being scaled to the headset screen, on top of the traditional aliasing and on top of the screen door effect, and probably on top of a motion blurring technique they implemented in the game engine.  I was just taken back by it since I assumed OLEDs had no blurring.

Now I need to figure out why playing videos through Plex looks like ass.  I wonder if Sony is hampering the app to encourage people to use their own video services?  I'll do more tests later this week to see what other oddities I can find.  But trying to watch Infinity War through Plex on the PS4 is closer to DVD quality, while if I do it on my Firestick it's closer to Blu-ray quality - with the same exact file.  Very strange.

53 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yeah thanks for that input.  I just put the headset on for only the second time and took a closer look.  What I was trying to describe was simply being able to see the grid of actual physical LED pixels, and I was just wondering how the PS headset compared to others on the market in this regard.  I could see the screen door effect on the  home screen, which I would assume would be rendered at native resolution.

I think the slight ghosting I thought I saw in Astro Bot was just the result of the game running at such a low resolution.  When moving the character there would be a weird trail, weird as in it wasn't a consistent trail like you would expect with traditional motion blurring techniques or your typical 60 Hz LCD blurring.  It was a bit of a shimmering ghosting.  So my conclusion is that is how the 900p signal was being scaled to the headset screen, on top of the traditional aliasing and on top of the screen door effect, and probably on top of a motion blurring technique they implemented in the game engine.  I was just taken back by it since I assumed OLEDs had no blurring.

Now I need to figure out why playing videos through Plex looks like ass.  I wonder if Sony is hampering the app to encourage people to use their own video services?  I'll do more tests later this week to see what other oddities I can find.  But trying to watch Infinity War through Plex on the PS4 is closer to DVD quality, while if I do it on my Firestick it's closer to Blu-ray quality - with the same exact file.  Very strange.

The psvr actually has a full rgb screen which lessens the screen door effect compared to the others. But yes that exists on all devices currently. It sounds like astro bot renders at a really low res on the base system tho, so yeah I’m sure it’s quite noticeable at 900p. On pro it seems quite sharp.

I never used my ps4 for media so idk about the other stuff.