Deadwood actually started filming today

Wild

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It was great. 

Its very much much in the vein of the storytelling the series did. More based on personal character interaction than actual long form storytelling. It was amazing to see all these characters on screen.

i would have liked to see more of some characters, like Dan, but overall I enjoyed it. The ending was bittersweet. I really liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it tonight and honestly a bit disappointed, felt more like a slightly long mediocre episode of the show than Deadwood THE MOVIE. I think the main issue was trying to give so many characters screen time they didn't leave enough time for any of the stories or characters to really flesh out, Jane probably gets the best conclusion. Al goes from being the power player in the series that everything truly revolves around to just a bystander in the movie.

11 hours ago, elbobo said:

Saw it tonight and honestly a bit disappointed, felt more like a slightly long mediocre episode of the show than Deadwood THE MOVIE. I think the main issue was trying to give so many characters screen time they didn't leave enough time for any of the stories or characters to really flesh out, Jane probably gets the best conclusion. Al goes from being the power player in the series that everything truly revolves around to just a bystander in the movie.

It did what deadwood does best, character interaction. It was never great at long form storytelling.

a longer deadwood episode is what i wanted though, so I understand how expecting otherwise might be disappointing. Actually, the show runner said a long episode was his goal. 

It was fun, not great. And the resolution with Hearst seemed rushed. Like, why didn’t you arrest him before the auction, Bullock?

14 hours ago, elbobo said:

Also, I don’t expect it to change your mind, but Al’s impotence in this movie is literally a stand in for Milch, the creator, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Am I the only one who felt like it was an uninspired class reunion sort of Deadwood episode, top-heavy with flashbacks (is there anyone watching who really needs that many reminders), and woefully short of the character depth and beautifully profane patois that made Deadwood what it was originally?

The movie/event was about ten years too late; I wouldn't say it shouldn't have been made or anything, but (unlike the series) I doubt I'll ever feel an inclination to watch it again.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

Am I the only one who felt like it was an uninspired class reunion sort of Deadwood episode, top-heavy with flashbacks (is there anyone watching who really needs that many reminders), and woefully short of the character depth and beautifully profane patois that made Deadwood what it was originally?

The movie/event was about ten years too late; I wouldn't say it shouldn't have been made or anything, but (unlike the series) I doubt I'll ever feel an inclination to watch it again.

I understand that opinion, but a reunion is really what I wanted. I just wanted to see these characters again, and where they were in life. I got that, I’m happy with it. I didn’t love the movie, but I liked it.