Capitalism Snake eating its tail

I can't say that I disagree with him in the least.

While deeply imperfect, the relative degree of transparency that comes with being a publicly-traded entity beats the living hell out of the opaque black box that is private equity any day of the week. 

• Halal 1

I just want a Jamie Dimon app that tells me his current mood! Just think of the possibilities! 

Jamie Dimon is: Perplexed

Jamie Dimon is: Hangry

Jamie Dimon is: Sad

Jamie Dimon is: Apoplectic

Jamie Dimon is: Melancholy 

:daydream:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

While deeply imperfect, the relative degree of transparency that comes with being a publicly-traded entity beats the living hell out of the opaque black box that is private equity any day of the week. 

Definitely, but it's not like the types of policies and taxes they lobby for haven't created an environment for private equity to thrive.

It's wealthy making so much money they can now exist further away from regulation.

Unless "Capitalists" come around on regulation and taxation they're going to begin to destabilize themselves like this. 

• True 1

27 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Also the entire "always grow" structure of stocks demands consolidation/acquisitions, which only compounds the issue WITHIN the same ecosystem he wants diversity in. They themselves encourage the problem. 

If you're not growing, you're dying. Sustainability isn't an option, which leads to volatility by necessity.

The hyper capitalist/crony capitalist system we now live in is absolutely fucked. Any merit the economic system had in breeding competition and meritocracy is long gone. Almost everyone I know is either obsessed with being famous, rich, powerful, highly influential, etc. Everyone is obsessed with money and wealth at the expense of just living and growing as a person.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The hyper capitalist/crony capitalist system we now live in is absolutely fucked. Any merit the economic system had in breeding competition and meritocracy is long gone. Almost everyone I know is either obsessed with being famous, rich, powerful, highly influential, etc. Everyone is obsessed with money and wealth at the expense of just living and growing as a person.

Not surprising when life is largely marketed as buying your way to the top. Self improvement starts with the right deodorant.

• True 2

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There are plusses and minuses

The transparency is huge but on the other hand the quarterly eternal growth shareholders demand is a deal with the devil that can severely hamper long term goals. 

The answer to this is to make laws that force private corporations to be more transparent. 

20 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

If you're not growing, you're dying. Sustainability isn't an option, which leads to volatility by necessity.

If you’re flat at a time when population and productivity are still increasing then yeah you are dying. 

14 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you’re flat at a time when population and productivity are still increasing then yeah you are dying. 

You know what I'm trying to say. "Hey folks, we had a really good year last year with our current operating strategies. Let's just do that again" isn't something you'll ever hear in a corporation. Everything is about what NEW markets can you bring us.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You know what I'm trying to say. "Hey folks, we had a really good year last year with our current operating strategies. Let's just do that again" isn't something you'll ever hear in a corporation. Everything is about what NEW markets can you bring us.

For good reason. There will always be somebody else coming along who can do what you currently do better, or the same but cheaper. The longer you stay the same the more likely it is that a competitor will surpass what you are offering. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel all of the time, but you do need to provide compelling reasons to choose you over the next firm. 

This is why large firms love to create roadblocks to competition entering the market. It gives a longer timeline before they need to elevate their game.

Certainly does not preclude management from pursuing poor strategies to improve, but they absolutely should be trying to do so.

• True 1