Maine

Mr.Vic20

Here is a short story made long:

I took last week off, because in two weeks I'm starting a whole new project at the university and wanted to clear my head before starting another big lift. I spent half of that vacation week doing my bosses homework and answering numerous phone calls and emails. This was a breaking point for me, where I realized that my current job, interesting as it can be at times, is doing modest good and maximum harm for my family and my physical and mental health. So I've started to contemplate an exit strategy from both Cornell and the state of NY. Target move window: Summer of 2026. 

So with that sack of context dropped on the table, who here lives in Maine? I ask, because I prefer the cold to the warmth, and with how the world is heating up and with a goal of making this move my final move before the great nap, I think Maine has the low population and hide away living I'm looking for! I'm starting an in depth research project on Maine as I like to do my home work before jumping into an environment. That said, its always good to be able to chat with a person from the place you are going so they can tell you about the things you wouldn't even think to ask. I feel like at least one of our folks was living there at some point? 

• Like 1

My good friend from work moved there last summer after retirement.

He says nothing but great things about it even the harsh winters. The 4 seasons are absolutely beautiful and the cost of living is very reasonable. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best!

• Halal 1

I've unfortunately never been to Maine, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that work is taking such a toll. But I'm very glad to hear that you're able to do something about it. Best of luck to you, and godspeed on the new project! :dancing:

• Hugs 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today I had a various with my director and formally informed him that I would be departing Cornell in the summer of 2026 (25 years of employment). I think time might have slowed down for him for a moment because his response, after a lengthy pause,  was:  "Two years is a long way away, and you never know how you might be feeling then". :lol: I am officially a "medium timer"! :sun::daydream:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Hype 1