New York Governor deploying armed National Guards and State Troopers to city subways

• Remarkableriots changed the title to New York Governor deploying armed National Guards and State Troopers to city subways
2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Violent crime spree in subways (not the crappy hoagie place)

Which is stupid because bag checks don't do anything about pushing people onto the tracks or slashing people with knives in your pocket. 

Plus guys with machine guns in a subway station is extremely stupid. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Which is stupid because bag checks don't do anything about pushing people onto the tracks or slashing people with knives in your pocket. 

Plus guys with machine guns in a subway station is extremely stupid. 

L Train Waiting GIF by WNYC

4 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Yeah you have to let police actually police or this is nothing but security theater.

MAKE them police, not "let". The NYC subway is already flooded with NYPD sucking up insane amounts of overtime but they all just stand around by the booths playing candy crush instead of actually patrolling the system. Hochul sending in the Guard and the state police is a tacit admission that getting NYPD to actually do their jobs is a lost cause.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

MAKE them police, not "let". The NYC subway is already flooded with NYPD sucking up insane amounts of overtime but they all just stand around by the booths playing candy crush instead of actually patrolling the system. Hochul sending in the Guard and the state police is a tacit admission that getting NYPD to actually do their jobs is a lost cause.

To be fair I’m just comparing to sf as I despise SFPD 

31 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Philly PD isn’t any better. People want to talk about the CRIME IN THE CITY, meanwhile I’m walking by a cop car with two cops asleep inside.

Santa Monica PD apparently recently told a restaurant owner they couldn't send anyone out after an attempted purse snatching "because no crime occurred since they didn't actually get the purse". 

59 minutes ago, Jason said:

Santa Monica PD apparently recently told a restaurant owner they couldn't send anyone out after an attempted purse snatching "because no crime occurred since they didn't actually get the purse". 

SFPD brought a patient to me on a psych hold for danger to others after attacking a mom and trying to abduct the baby. I am not joking. I turned my back to the cop after they told me and walked away.

Kathy Hochul tells New Yorkers against subway bag checks by National Guard to "go home" (msn.com)

As for what options New Yorkers have if they don't want their belongings searched by military officers, Hochul said simply, "Then go home."

"We're not going to search you. You can say no, but you're not taking the subway," she said.

The governor added that the Guard members and New York Police Department officers will be stationed by the turnstiles, barring access to those who refuse the random search and, according to the governor, deterring fare evaders as well.

WWW.ROUTE-FIFTY.COM

The New York governor's supporters say the specter of National Guard troops checking bags will make New Yorkers feel safer, but activists say it’s just a militarized version of stop-and-frisk.

Wild to basically just say in plain terms "we're doing this to feed a moral panic."

• Guillotine 2

56 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:
WWW.ROUTE-FIFTY.COM

The New York governor's supporters say the specter of National Guard troops checking bags will make New Yorkers feel safer, but activists say it’s just a militarized version of stop-and-frisk.

Wild to basically just say in plain terms "we're doing this to feed a moral panic."

That's all political theater about "crime rates" ever is. Crime is reported more even though there's far, FAR less of it, and dipshits need someone to do something because they're fucking babies.

• True 1

If you are in NY, you know that Republican Lee Zelden ran against our governor with "Rising Crime" as the center piece of his campaign and drew shockingly strong poll numbers for a blue state. Its true this is theatre, but its the kind of theatre that many bought tickets to see. 

• True 1

45 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The biggest thing you can do about crime is give poor people money, but that's not sexy.

"I'd rather nuke our own country from orbit and have my children eaten alive by wolves." -The average US voter