Judge to man who shot woman who accidentally turned into wrong driveway: "You just don't get it"

WWW.CNN.COM

Kevin Monahan was sentenced Friday to 25 years to life in prison for shooting and killing a woman who was a passenger in a car that mistakenly drove up his driveway in rural New York last year.

66-year-old man was sentenced to 25 to life.

“I think you really could possibly do the same thing again,” Washington County Judge Adam Michelini told Kevin Monahan before imposing his sentence for second-degree murder. “It’s obvious to me that you feel justified. You don’t take any responsibility for the outcome of your actions. You just don’t get it.”

“The first thing you do on the witness stand when you come up here and testify is you made a joke to the jury about them finally being able to see your face,” Michelini told the defendant.

“You senselessly took the life of Kaylin Gillis and you have the gall to sit here and talk about how you plan to finish up the work on your house and race motocross in the future. You don’t deserve that. What would make you think that you deserve those things?”

Michelini added, “Any remorse you have isn’t for the harm you’ve caused. The only regret you have is that you’re finally facing the consequences for your actions. You murdered Kaylin Gillis. You shot at a car full of people and you didn’t care what would happen and you repeatedly lied about it. You deserve to spend the maximum time in prison allowable under our law, and I don’t make this decision because it’s easy. I make it because it’s what’s deserved. I make it because it’s what’s just.”

• Hype 3

It's almost like gun ownership for self / home defense is correlated with false narratives about personal safety, shit tier risk assessment, and preposterous value assessments of property versus life.

• Like 2
  • True 7
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

It doesn't help that far too many in this country are culturally encourage to mask their natural  or cultivated cowardliness with the magic cure all "manliness", which happens to come free with their gun purchase. I don't think a nation of fearful cowards should be armed, for the same reason I wouldn't want a coward in combat with me. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It doesn't help that far too many in this country are culturally encourage to mask their natural  or cultivated cowardliness with the magic cure all "manliness", which happens to come free with their gun purchase. I don't think a nation of fearful cowards should be armed, for the same reason I wouldn't want a coward in combat with me. 

Well not just the gun but the huge Ford F-450 jacked up on monster wheels with a confederate flag sticker on the back.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well not just the gun but the huge Ford F-450 jacked up on monster wheels with a confederate flag sticker on the back.

How dare you besmirch these critical male agency devices?! :p

I hate these gun nut losers. I know so many people who just lose their minds when it comes to guns. They all think they are in constant danger and the entire world is out to get them. People who won't go anywhere without an assault rifle in their truck or a concealed pistol like it's the Wild West out there.

The feel like they are in danger all the time, riled up by a right wing media that profits from keeping them all constantly afraid and on edge... and a firearms industry that profits from the same. Too many guns in the world? It's so dangerous! Better buy more guns!

They all fantasize constantly about being able to gun down people. I bet a huge percentage of them wish that someone would try to break into their house just so they can gun them down. They wish they can find themselves in a situation where they can gun people down. They WANT to gun people down. It's their dream.

This guy has probably been waiting his entire life for the opportunity to kill someone with his fun toys.

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It's almost like gun ownership for self / home defense is correlated with false narratives about personal safety, shit tier risk assessment, and preposterous value assessments of property versus life.

WWW.KBTX.COM

Deputies say the suspect was booked on four counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary.

Deputies say before Goss left, he drove his truck into the home’s dining room after he could not kick the front door down.

While this was happening, the mother and her three children hid in a closet designated as the family’s safe room, the press release says. The mother prayed, and the children recited scripture.

When Goss found the family, he entered the closet, still holding a knife, according to the press release. The mother then shot him in the arm, and Goss fled.

What would you have recommended her to do differently? 

26 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.KBTX.COM

Deputies say the suspect was booked on four counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary.

What would you have recommended her to do differently? 

There's a cost / benefit to any broad, societal decision. Continuing to allow personal gun ownership results in tens of thousands of deaths per year by suicide, countless mass shootings, police paranoia which leads to more deaths, etc. There's simply no utility to pointing to cases where personal defense with a gun works; I don't deny that they exist. And there's unquestionably going to be harm that could be prevented with personal gun ownership that ends up not happening if it were to be outlawed. But the other side of the scale is still much heavier as evidenced by the rest of the developed world and a non trivial amount of the developing world as well.

• Like 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

There’s simply no benefits to gun ownership. If you put one in your house, you haven’t made anyone safer—all you’ve done is increase the chances of someone in your family getting shot. 

Look at what has happened to public life in America—schools are targets, malls are targets, theaters are targets, concerts are targets, houses of worship are targets. Guns are a plague that have destroyed our way of life. The lie is that a gun brings you freedom, the truth is that a gun has destroyed our freedom. It keeps us afraid and locked up in our homes. It has destroyed any sense of community that we can have. 

There are two sides in this debate—the side of life and freedom, and the side of sacrificing blood and children simply so an illusion of safety can penetrate your dim and paranoid mind. 

• Halal 1

I won’t say there’s no positive to gun ownership and in certain circumstances I can see even a need for them and as an abstract notion I agree with it.

But, Americans on average are not people like me with significant training, experience with them and so on. They frankly can not be trusted. Hell, I go so far as to remove firing pins from mine when they’re not in use.