Horizon: An American Saga trailer -- Kevin Costner's new western

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So this is why he burned his "Yellowstone" bridges, eh?

This genuinely does look really quite good!

That’s how I understand it. This is his passion project, and as soon as he had the juice to get it off the ground, he noped out of Yellowstone as fast as possible. 

• Halal 1

This looks like he was jealous that he couldn't star in 1883, so he made his own.

It could well just be YouTube compression, but even at 4K something about this trailer doesn't look quite right. I feel like it's not very consistent in it's color or noise or sharpness or something. Hard to put my finger on it.

Trailer didn't really sell me, but I'm always down for a solid western and it sure seems like Costner cares a whole lot about this, so hopefully it pays off.

I imagine how much you'll enjoy this will depend on how much you enjoyed Costner's three previous directorial efforts Dances with Wolves, The Postman and Open Range (all three of which he also starred in, as is the case here). Or how much you enjoyed projects he starred in that he was also heavily involved in shepherding like Wyatt Earp, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Waterworld or Thirteen Days despite not writing or directing them.

I don't watch Yellowstone but I do think it's a super dick move of him to leave the show midway through season 5 when the show was always planned to just be 6 seasons. He could have easily finished the show and then made this but instead chose to screw over the cast, crew and fans of Yellowstone instead. 

I cannot tell what the story of this movie is. Also the score is horrifically generic. Like absolutely disgusting and offensively so. The cast looks great, though.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't watch Yellowstone but I do think it's a super dick move of him to leave the show midway through season 5 when the show was always planned to just be 6 seasons. He could have easily finished the show and then made this but instead chose to screw over the cast, crew and fans of Yellowstone instead. 

I'm saying this just based on clips I've seen and the general vibe I get of the fanbase, but nothing of value was lost. :p But I do sympathize with the cast and crew.

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I imagine how much you'll enjoy this will depend on how much you enjoyed Costner's three previous directorial efforts Dances with Wolves, The Postman and Open Range (all three of which he also starred in, as is the case here). Or how much you enjoyed projects he starred in that he was also heavily involved in shepherding like Wyatt Earp, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Waterworld or Thirteen Days despite not writing or directing them.

Well, his directorial track record appears pretty good so that's a plus. I remember really liking Open Range but I haven't seen it since I worked at the video store as a teenager around its release date.

• Halal 1

58 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well, his directorial track record appears pretty good so that's a plus. I remember really liking Open Range but I haven't seen it since I worked at the video store as a teenager around its release date.

Yeah, I agree, his track record overall is pretty good - the only question will be if he's still got it since it's been 20 years since he directed Open Range in 2003. Here's to hoping this is good.