Microsoft to reduce gaming division workforce by 9% (1,900 employees), Blizzard President Mike Ybbara announces departure

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Current reporting from Jason Schreier appears to indicate that it was MSFT who pulled the plug and that's the reason for Ybbara's depature.

But he’s also reporting the game was still years away despite being in development for 6 years. Could just be development was just not going well. Still this is the first game MS has canceled that we know about since the acquisition spree.

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

But he’s also reporting the game was still years away despite being in development for 6 years. Could just be development was just not going well. Still this is the first game MS has canceled that we know about since the acquisition spree.

Oh sure - I'm just positing that this was more than likely a Microsoft-dicated action rather than a Blizzard-dictated one.

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Not to take away from the issue at hand, but Blizzard Survival Game sounds as unappealing and not-for-me as it gets.

I’m not disappointed it’s gone, but more that they dumped money into it and not a new RTS that we know of.

StarCraft 3 probably makes a lot of people happy

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

The people on that project were all laid off so they're not working on your RTS now either. 

Congrats gamers, more is less, and less is less. Cheers. 

A RTS wouldn’t have taken 6 years to make bud.  At least not with a appropriately sized team dedicated to it.  And it’s hard to imagine an RTS today being cancelled in part due to engine troubles.

This whole team apparently got axed because they couldn’t pull their AAA survival game together.  Not that they deserved to be shitcanned as such, but it probably made Microsoft’s decision to hit them hardest simpler, with their appetite to cull.

I don’t know if the execs leaving at the same time is any silver lining, but if they failed this team in any substantive way, they are out as well.

• Guillotine 1

34 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Another corporate apologist 

lol, the last thing I'd want to do is defend Microsoft or Activision Blizzard for their bad decisions.  Or for this 'need' to gut their development teams post-buy out.

This Blizzard news is like if Arkane Austin was shut down before releasing Redfall.  The rank and file workers wouldn't be the ones to blame.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

A RTS wouldn’t have taken 6 years to make bud.  At least not with a appropriately sized team dedicated to it.  And it’s hard to imagine an RTS today being cancelled in part due to engine troubles.

This whole team apparently got axed because they couldn’t pull their AAA survival game together.  Not that they deserved to be shitcanned as such, but it probably made Microsoft’s decision to hit them hardest simpler, with their appetite to cull.

I don’t know if the execs leaving at the same time is any silver lining, but if they failed this team in any substantive way, they are out as well.

I’ve seen things saying the problem is that they were using a mobile engine instead of UE5 and the engine wasn’t going to work for the game.

54 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I’ve seen things saying the problem is that they were using a mobile engine instead of UE5 and the engine wasn’t going to work for the game.

WWW.VG247.COM

With the cancellation of Blizzard's Odyssey, we seemingly missed out on a good survival game that died because of its e…

Unfortunately, the tech powering the game is where its troubles began, and it is what eventually lead to development ceasing. According to the report, the Odyssey team started out building prototypes using the Unreal Engine.

Epic’s incredibly popular engine reportedly could not support the team's 100-player ambitions, so Blizzard executives made the decision to switch to Synapse, an in-house engine that had been initially developed for mobile.

UE5 (or 4) isn't some magic bullet for open world games either.  We've seen enough poor examples to know better.

Also, piling further on:

According to the report, Odyssey had a simple pitch: to be a survival game with the polish, quality, and attention to detail Blizzard is known for. Based on a 2017 pitch by World of Warcraft veteran Craig Amai, the game was said to have vast maps that can support up to 100 players at once.

I think any gaming company that makes 'secret sauce' the crux of their project pitch suffers from a management problem.

23 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

BQC8GNO.png

Microsoft: So guys, umm, how are those Switch ports coming along?

Most of those studios had to be big enough to crank out a major CoD release every two or three years. If CoD is no longer going to be an annual release, the size of those studios is probably no longer necessary.

That's just me trying to think like a major corp. though.

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

But then who will make the new Hexen?

… Spyro?

… Crash?

… Tony Hawk?

Man, a new Hexen would be awesome. Graven just came out on the 23rd, which is a spiritual successor to Hexen, so that's something. It has a 65 on Metacritic after 11 critic reviews (no audience score yet) as the game just dropped. Not a great score but if you're starved for modern Hexen it's there. I haven't tried it out myself.

• 2 months later...