After ITC Ruling, Apple will stop selling Apple Watch S9 and Ultra 2 later this week

Brian

9TO5MAC.COM

In a statement to 9to5Mac, Apple has announced that it will soon halt sales of its flagship Apple Watch models...

Buy those watches now if you want one. 

The Apple Watch Ultra 2 and Apple Watch Series 9 will no longer be available to order from Apple’s website in the U.S. after 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21. In-store inventory will no longer be available from Apple retail locations after December 24.

12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don’t know what support or updates for these devices will look like if they’re going to not be sold anymore. I’d hesitate to run and grab one unless there was some sort of fire sale. 

Sounds like it's only a US restriction, so updates would presumably keep rolling out. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Doesn't Apple only honor warranties in the country of purchase? 

From what I can read it mainly is with iPhone that they are strict but less so on Apple products. With that said there are tons and of qualified repair technicians in the US (some who routinely repair botched repairs from Apple stores).

31 minutes ago, chakoo said:

From what I can read it mainly is with iPhone that they are strict but less so on Apple products. With that said there are tons and of qualified repair technicians in the US (some who routinely repair botched repairs from Apple stores).

Do you know anyone who can fix an ipod classic?

12 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I don’t know what support or updates for these devices will look like if they’re going to not be sold anymore. I’d hesitate to run and grab one unless there was some sort of fire sale. 

Support will continue. They are already apparently working on a software update that disables or changes the blood oxygen sensor somehow that will let them continue to sell the new models.

I'm sure this will be resolved in a matter of days or weeks.

It's kind of funny, since the blood oxygen sensor doesn't even really work that well and is a feature that probably used by roughly 1% of Apple Watch users. They could probably just turn it off with an update and no one would even notice.

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Do you know anyone who can fix an ipod classic?

I don't know the exact state you live in to say of any local business but you can find repair places online pretty easily. I mean you can always send it to Rossmann.

ROSSMANNGROUP.COM

We provide MacBook Repair in Austin. 100% Upfront Pricing for Apple Logic Board Repair, Data Recovery, iPhone Screen Repair, iPad Glass Repair & more.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Support will continue. They are already apparently working on a software update that disables or changes the blood oxygen sensor somehow that will let them continue to sell the new models.

It's kind of funny, since the blood oxygen sensor doesn't even really work that well and is a feature that probably used by roughly 1% of Apple Watch users.

Software update to disable a feature? That sounds like another reason not to buy it. 

Don't buy one then. Problem solved.

(no one is buying Apple Watches for this feature. it doesn't work as well as a $30 Walgreens blood oxygen sensor. it's a back of the box bullet point feature no one actually uses. they needed some new stuff to talk about for 5 minutes in a press event like 3 years ago and then never talked about it again)

24 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I don't know the exact state you live in to say of any local business but you can find repair places online pretty easily. I mean you can always send it to Rossmann.

I have found several around me but none of them answer my emails. :p

This one seems the most promising because they have logic board repair right on the website, I might try it. Thank you sir

47 minutes ago, ort said:

(no one is buying Apple Watches for this feature. it doesn't work as well as a $30 Walgreens blood oxygen sensor. it's a back of the box bullet point feature no one actually uses. they needed some new stuff to talk about for 5 minutes in a press event like 3 years ago and then never talked about it again)

no new stuff

doesnt work well

software features disabled remotely by company

product being pulled from shelves in major market

49 minutes ago, ort said:

Don't buy one then. Problem solved.

i mean yeah

41 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Terrible battery life and fragile screen was already reason to not. 

Maybe a feature being disabled will improve the battery life. Previous Apple Watches seem to be fine in these regards. Why is this one different? (Honest question I don’t know)

24 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Maybe a feature being disabled will improve the battery life. Previous Apple Watches seem to be fine in these regards. Why is this one different? (Honest question I don’t know)

I’ve owned the series 2, 4, 6, and 9 and there’s not been a drastic difference in battery life. From what I understand they don’t last as long as some of of big android watches, but I get a full day’s use out of mine and I wear it when I sleep most nights and it charges really fast, like when I’m in the shower or whatever, so it’s not a big deal. 

Ominous is being Ominous. 

When a new thread about an apple product goes up do you guys get some sort of bat signal with the android logo on it or something?

"Wait guys, I gotta stop what I'm doing and make snarky condescending comments on products I do not use and have no interest in. Be right back!"

• True 1

1 minute ago, ort said:

When a new thread about an apple product goes up do you guys get some sort of bat signal with the android logo on it or something?

"Wait guys, I gotta stop what I'm doing and make snarky condescending comments on products I do not use and have no interest in. Be right back!"

I'm an iphone user so if this is directed at me it shouldn't be.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’ve owned the series 2, 4, 6, and 9 and there’s not been a drastic difference in battery life. From what I understand they don’t last as long as some of of big android watches, but I get a full day’s use out of mine and I wear it when I sleep most nights and it charges really fast, like when I’m in the shower or whatever, so it’s not a big deal. 

Yeah I haven't had a smartwatch since one of the first Samsung ones. Not really for me. Found out I'm just not a watch person.

53 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Having had various Apple Watches over the years, battery life has gotten marginally better or stayed the same as features have been added. Every time a new model comes out there are panic threads about battery life being worse than the last rev, but they even out after a couple weeks of use. I dunno if the watches deliberately give conservative battery usage stats until they're worn for a while or something, but people freak out about it literally every year on the MacRumors forums.

My bet is that this is resolved before they get pulled from the shelves.

Another goofy thing about this is that Apple didn't actually issue a press release or statement about any of this. They announced it ONLY through a statement to 9to5mac, which is just a small independent enthusiast site.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My Garmin Fenix 7x lasts weeks on a charge. It's not an android watch. I have a blended house. I have an android phone, wife has and iPhone and Apple watch. IPad, apple TV, android TV. The apple watch battery is too small to be practical for me. 

10 minutes ago, ort said:

My bet is that this is resolved before they get pulled from the shelves.

Another goofy thing about this is that Apple didn't actually issue a press release or statement about any of this. They announced it ONLY through a statement to 9to5mac, which is just a small independent enthusiast site.

Yeah, I agree that it gets resolved before they actually pull things from shelves. These kinds of things have happened before. Apple was probably holding out for a Presidential veto like they got when the ITC issued a ban on some iPhone and iPads. Now that the ITC has issued a final ruling and it's clear Biden won't step in, some hardcore negotiating will be taking place.

Apple's watch revenue during the holiday quarter will probably be something like 10x Masimo's total yearly revenue. Apple has been fighting this patent case for years now, now it's probably just a matter of how much they pay.

• 2 weeks later...