Sony announces "strategic global business partnership" with NCSoft, lending credence to rumored "Horizon MMO"

Commissar SFLUFAN

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Sony and NCsoft have today announced a strategic partnership, which aims to "expand beyond console and broaden PlayStat…

Sony and Guild Wars publisher NCsoft have today announced a strategic partnership, which aims to "expand beyond console and broaden PlayStation's reach to a wider audience".

NCsoft head Taekjin Kim and Sony's Jim Ryan signed this partnership, with the companies now set to "collaborate in various global business fields, including mobile" together.

While no specifics were mentioned, the two companies stated they are "evaluating a range of potential opportunities with an aim to foster strategic synergy". This will include leveraging NCsoft's "technological prowess" as well as Sony's "global leadership in the entertainment field".

This agreement does certainly lend a bit more credence to the rumored Horizon MMO:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Plans are reportedly afoot for an MMO set in Sony's Horizon IP. This project is reported to be in development with Kore…

Plans are reportedly afoot for an MMO set in Sony's Horizon IP.

This project is reported to be in development with Korean Studio NCsoft, which is most famous for publishing the MMORPG Guild Wars and its subsequent sequel.

A source familiar with both Sony and NCsoft reportedly told Korean news site MTN the two companies have "tentatively agreed to pursue a business partnership in which NC will create new games using Sony's promising game IP".

28 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Horizon MMO sounds absolutely horrible.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I 100% agree. 

But you can play it on your PlayStation Portal!!!

The device nobody wants and the game nobody needs.  Sony FAILS so bad at some shit. Microsoft gonna dethrone they ass.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Horizon MMO sounds absolutely horrible.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I 100% agree. 

I kind of agree, and I really liked Zero Dawn. Waiting to play Forbidden West next year. 

If it looks as good Forbidden West it might be worth taking a look, but I can’t imagine grinding away in that game for very long. 

Unless it's something different from what we currently know as MMOs, I doubt I'll be interested, even as someone who really enjoys the Horizon games. When I think about what I enjoy from those games, not much would translate to an MMO.

Besides, what was the last successful MMO?

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well, there's that tiny game called Final Fantasy 14.

Aside from that Elder Scrolls Online is still doing quite well. And I guess WoW is still kicking. Other than that though the focus has pretty much shifted to service games. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hell, even The Old Republic appears to be still truckin' along just fine n' dandy.

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Don’t forget Eve

Eve came out in 2003, WoW in 2004, FF XVI in 2010, TOR in 2011, Guild Wars 2 in 2012, and ESO in 2014.

So we're a nearly a decade out from the last launch of a successful MMO?

The only big MMO release in recent memory is New World, and that wasn't exactly a blockbuster after the first week.

• True 1

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Eve came out in 2003, WoW in 2004, FF XVI in 2010, TOR in 2011, Guild Wars 2 in 2012, and ESO in 2014.

So we're a nearly a decade out from the last launch of a successful MMO?

The only big MMO release in recent memory is New World, and that wasn't exactly a blockbuster after the first week.

Well you asked what the last one was.

Destiny 2 is often tagged as an MMO and that came out in 2019.

The American release of Lost Ark came out last year, almost 2 years ago, and is most definitely successful in terms of how much money they made.

And saying FF14 came out in 2010 is technically true, but that game doesn't exist anymore and we only have FFXIV: ARR which was like 2013. Still 10 years so yeah, but I do not consider the game I play to have been released in 2010.