Crisis at Marvel: Jonathan Majors Back-Up Plans, ‘The Marvels’ Reshoots, Reviving Original Avengers and More Issues Revealed

VARIETY.COM

Marvel has enjoyed a nearly uninterrupted string of hits ever since it started independently producing its movies with 2008’s “Iron Man.” 

I don't know how much stuff is in here that wasn't somewhat known already. But collecting it all together kind of paints a picture. Not sure there isn't anything here they can't overcome though.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:
VARIETY.COM

Marvel has enjoyed a nearly uninterrupted string of hits ever since it started independently producing its movies with 2008’s “Iron Man.” 

I don't know how much stuff is in here that wasn't somewhat known already. But collecting it all together kind of paints a picture. Not sure there isn't anything here they can't overcome though.

Yeah - the article is more or less a compilation of already-known information, but still good to have it in one narrative for context.

As you said, there's nothing there that really seems like wholesale dysfunction, but rather just a lack of strong direction.

Some info that probably isn't new, but is new to me was just how expensive She-Hulk was. I enjoyed the show, but it should not have cost $25M an episode. I am glad to hear that Marvel execs are aware of just how bad some of the effects in Quantumanina were. I hadn't been aware of all the Blade drama (lol at the idea of a Blade film where Blade is the fourth lead), but a $100M movie written by Micheal Green (Logan, Blade Runner 2049) gives me hope.

Overall, I think the biggest issue that Marvel had is that they had built up so much machinery to get them to End Game and they couldn't spin it back down again. They had to keep making more and more, but they'd lost so many of the pillars their early success was built on. I understand why Disney couldn't even imagine doing it, but I think the best move for the long term success of the brand post Endgame would have been to dramatically slow the flow of new content.

We've seen time and time again how even a few years between entries can make fans excited again, regardless of the form that new thing takes. Marvel was drowning viewers in content when it should have been starving them of it. Spend more time thinking about the next major arcs they want to cover, more time developing the shows and films they want to make. It's crazy to me that Kang was decided as a major direction after he was revealed in Loki.

It does seem like they are at least aware of their problems, and even as supremely mediocre as some of their output has been, they've yet to reach Snyderverse levels of problems. Feige is still there. They've got X-Men and Fantastic Four back. I think there is still a road to recovery, but they can't rush it. If they keep up a breakneck release pace and continue to burn audiences with middling releases, bringing back OG Avengers isn't going to save them. On the other hand, if they can rebuild that hype cycle, they could use those resurrections to ride another wave.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

If they don't want to do a Rhodey style recast where the new guy is simply supposed to be the same as the old guy, the multiverse angle on Kang makes him supremely easy to recast. I don't understand why that source in the article is talking like it's some crisis that they can't use Majors.

A studio source notes that regardless of the actor’s legal issues, Marvel already had considered moving away from a Majors-led phase because of the box office performance of “Quantumania,” which will struggle to make a profit. “It gave people pause given that ‘Quantumania’ didn’t exactly land,” the source says.  (On Oct. 27, Disney removed another Majors film, Searchlight’s “Magazine Dreams,” from the release calendar.

Uh Quantumania didn't land because it was a high-stakes Star Wars ripoff solely about building up Kang instead of being the pretty fun relatively light-stakes fare from the first two Ant-Man movies.

Already fans are geeking out about next year’s “Deadpool 3,” which unites Ryan Reynolds’ merc with a mouth with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, and a reboot of “Fantastic Four” slated for 2025.

Did a Disney PR flack write this bit? I have extremely low expectations for Deadpool 3 given they forced through the production during the WGA strike, which means zero improvisation during the movie, whereas the last two movies had a lot of improv by Reynolds.

• True 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Some info that probably isn't new, but is new to me was just how expensive She-Hulk was. I enjoyed the show, but it should not have cost $25M an episode. I am glad to hear that Marvel execs are aware of just how bad some of the effects in Quantumanina were. I hadn't been aware of all the Blade drama (lol at the idea of a Blade film where Blade is the fourth lead), but a $100M movie written by Micheal Green (Logan, Blade Runner 2049) gives me hope.

That bit stuck out to me as well. Just lmao.

As public criticism mounts, Feige is pulling the plug on scripts and projects that aren’t working. Case in point: the “Blade” reboot. With Mahershala Ali signed on for the eponymous role of a vampire, things looked promising for a 2023 release date. But the project has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead, a bizarre idea considering that the studio had two-time Oscar winner Ali on board. 

Overall, I think the biggest issue that Marvel had is that they had built up so much machinery to get them to End Game and they couldn't spin it back down again. They had to keep making more and more, but they'd lost so many of the pillars their early success was built on. I understand why Disney couldn't even imagine doing it, but I think the best move for the long term success of the brand post Endgame would have been to dramatically slow the flow of new content.

The sound of the money printing machine was drowning out the voices of warning.

We've seen time and time again how even a few years between entries can make fans excited again, regardless of the form that new thing takes. Marvel was drowning viewers in content when it should have been starving them of it. Spend more time thinking about the next major arcs they want to cover, more time developing the shows and films they want to make. It's crazy to me that Kang was decided as a major direction after he was revealed in Loki.

It does seem like they are at least aware of their problems, and even as supremely mediocre as some of their output has been, they've yet to reach Snyderverse levels of problems. Feige is still there. They've got X-Men and Fantastic Four back. I think there is still a road to recovery, but they can't rush it. If they keep up a breakneck release pace and continue to burn audiences with middling releases, bringing back OG Avengers isn't going to save them. On the other hand, if they can rebuild that hype cycle, they could use those resurrections to ride another wave.

X-Men is the only thing remotely exciting me in the Marvel universe. And that's because it's been years since an X-Men movie (and a decade since a really good one).

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Did a Disney PR flack write this bit? I have extremely low expectations for Deadpool 3 given they forced through the production during the WGA strike, which means zero improvisation during the movie, whereas the last two movies had a lot of improv by Reynolds.

With the actor's strike still going on though, they could now get some rewrites in, and allow improv once the strike is over, and they can get back to filming. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Deadpool fans, they are the worst. :p

19 minutes ago, Brick said:

With the actor's strike still going on though, they could now get some rewrites in, and allow improv once the strike is over, and they can get back to filming. 

Did filming finish before the actors strike started? If they did then I doubt they'll bother with reshoots given their content pipeline is nearly dry.

3 hours ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

disney painted itself into a corner by overextending the creatives at marvel and lucasfilm to produce content for d+ and movie theaters

two movies and one series a year lets it all breathe more and feel somewhat special

What amazes me is that they learned that lesson with Star Wars, but somehow didn't make the connection with the MCU.

Post-Endgame is rudderless though. It isn't just about the sheer quantity and falling quality. Everything from 2008 leading up to Endgame had a clear direction and vision. Each film in the series (aside from maybe GOTG2) was aimed at building towards that. It was laser focused.

We're now ~10 films into the Multi-verse saga, along with ~9 series each spanning several episodes, and we only just RECENTLY got a glimpse of who the main villain is. I'm not going to sit here and do the math, but I'm betting if you added up the run-times for all the Multi-verse content, it would just about equal all 22 movies leading up to and including Endgame.

And it's really hard to make each of those movies and shows feel important if all they're doing is busywork waiting for Kang the Conqueror to arrive. And yes, it's too many heroes for non-comic nerds to keep up with. Why should a fourteenth iteration of a character that can shoot beams and/or punch really hard be any more important than the last 13?

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Did filming finish before the actors strike started? If they did then I doubt they'll bother with reshoots given their content pipeline is nearly dry.

I thought the strike happened in the middle of production, so they had to pause filming for now.

Relatedly...

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The season two debut of the Marvel series pulls in less viewing time than its 2021 series premiere.

Season two of the Marvel series premiered on Oct. 5, and it gathered 446 million minutes of viewing time over its first three days and change (it was released at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT Oct. 5 in the United States), according to Nielsen’s streaming rankings. That’s about 39 percent lower than the 731 million minutes of viewing for Loki’s series premiere week in June 2021.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Relatedly...

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The season two debut of the Marvel series pulls in less viewing time than its 2021 series premiere.

I pirated it because Disney has been unable to fix the bug on my Disney+ account (which I believe is fairly widespread) that prevents me from resubscribing and giving them my money. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I pirated it because Disney has been unable to fix the bug on my Disney+ account (which I believe is fairly widespread) that prevents me from resubscribing and giving them my money. 

Yup, I hit the same issue. The only fix was to get a hold of Disney+ support and get them to fully cancel your subscription so you can then log in and resubscribe.

24 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yup, I hit the same issue. The only fix was to get a hold of Disney+ support and get them to fully cancel your subscription so you can then log in and resubscribe.

I spent an hour on chat with them today and they took me through a bunch of nonsense "log out, okay try incognito" script steps only to leave me with "oh that's a new issue we're aware of, it's being worked on". Was your subscription still active but riding out the remaining time? Mine's been completely lapsed for a few weeks now and they were saying they couldn't see that I have any active subscriptions.