Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I believe this morning that the Israeli Defense Minster mentioned a growing concern forming in the north. I'll see if I can find the quote (it was at like 4-5am ET) 

I can't find the direct quote (I have multiple news alerts and I've been wading through them), but it may have been this and it blended in with statements from Kirby and/or Blinken:

Screenshot-2023-11-03-100737.jpg

Also, these just now: 

Screenshot-2023-11-03-100855.jpg

WWW.CNN.COM

President Joe Biden and his top advisers are warning Israel with growing force that it will become increasingly difficult for it to pursue its military goals in Gaza as global outcry intensifies about the scale of humanitarian suffering there.

President Joe Biden and his top advisers are warning Israel with growing force that it will become increasingly difficult for it to pursue its military goals in Gaza as global outcry intensifies about the scale of humanitarian suffering there.

Biden, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Secretary of State Antony Blinken – who departed Thursday for Israel with a message on protecting civilian lives – have all explicitly pressed the case in recent private conversations with the Israelis, telling them that eroding support will have dire strategic consequences for Israel Defense Forces operations against Hamas.

Behind the scenes, American officials also believe there is limited time for Israel to try to accomplish its stated objective of taking out Hamas in its current operation before uproar over the humanitarian suffering and civilian casualties – and calls for a ceasefire – reaches a tipping point.

In fact, there is recognition within the administration that that moment may arrive quickly: Some of the president’s close advisers believe that there are only weeks, not months, until rebuffing the pressure on the US government to publicly call for a ceasefire becomes untenable, sources told CNN.

Particularly jarring to Biden and his national security team, two sources familiar with the matter said, were Israeli airstrikes this week that targeted a refugee camp in northern Gaza, resulting in grim scenes of widespread destruction and deaths. The president “didn’t like this at all,” one of the sources said.

“The problem for [Israel] is that the criticism is getting louder, not just among their detractors, but from their best friends,” one senior administration official said.

Austin has been very direct in his near-daily conversations with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, defense officials said, pressing him for details on Israel’s objectives in Gaza and reiterating how important it is for Israel to be seen by the international community as working to protect civilians. And Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. CQ Brown stressed the protection of civilians and access of humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza in his phone call this week with Chief of the Israeli General Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi, according to a defense official.

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Survivors recount their life-and-death struggle at Be’eri, a main target in the Hamas assault on Oct. 7 that has set off a major war.

A nurse, a paramedic and a doctor trapped in a clinic tending to the wounded. A father holding a safe room door shut so gunmen can't get in. Two brothers who raced across Israel to run a freelance rescue operation. Reuters reconstructs the life-and-death struggle at Kibbutz Be’eri, a main target in the Hamas assault that has set off a major war.

In the golden dawn light, on the morning after the Sabbath massacre of Oct. 7, Menachem Klemenson spotted the elderly man on his porch. The man was sitting in his chair, with a cup of coffee next to him.

As Klemenson drew closer, he realized the man wasn’t moving. He had been in that position for over 24 hours now. He had been shot dead.

It was too late to save him. But the 35-year-old Klemenson, a Bible teacher by profession, and his 42-year-old brother Elhanan had been working feverishly all night rescuing families from their homes in Kibbutz Be’eri, an Israeli cooperative community some five kilometers from the Gaza Strip.

They had extracted people from burning homes as bullets zipped and cracked around them. At times they piled as many as 15 people in a jeep meant for four as they raced to get them out of the kibbutz. They faced agonizing decisions over who to save and who to leave behind. Sometimes there was no one left to save: They found parents and children gunned down in their living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms. In one house lay the incinerated corpse of what appeared to be a young person.

Menachem’s descent into the carnage at Kibbutz Be’eri had begun on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 7, when news began to break that a major security incident was underway in southern Israel. As details filtered through, it became clear that large numbers of militants had penetrated Israel from Gaza and were attacking nearby communities.

Menachem contacted his brother, a captain in Israel’s army reserves with a day job in defense intelligence, convinced Elhanan would know what was happening. A few hours later, the two brothers were in their family SUV, equipped with bullet-proof vests and M16 rifles, just two magazines each, heading south to help.

By the time the brothers found the old man in his rocking chair, more than 80 residents of Be’eri were dead – almost one in 10 members of the kibbutz – and at least 30 had gone missing. Hamas militants killed more than 1,400 people in communities, army bases and at a music festival in the south of the country on Oct. 7, and took at least 240 hostage, Israel said.

Since the attack, Israel has launched an air and ground offensive in Gaza, killing more than 9,000 people, according to health authorities in the Hamas-run area. Many buildings in Gaza have been reduced to rubble; residents, struggling to find shelter, are short of food, water, fuel and medicines.

Besides Menachem, Reuters spoke with more than 20 kibbutz residents who survived the attack, many of whom huddled for hours in safe rooms in their homes and others who were outside fighting the gunmen, as well as Israeli soldiers and rescue workers who eventually responded to the scene. This account of the assault is the most complete reconstruction to date of what happened at Be’eri. It is based on those interviews and a review of WhatsApp messages the survivors sent out as Hamas militants moved from house to house, executing their families and friends. Reuters reporters also toured Be’eri days after the assault and reviewed satellite imagery, social media images, and CCTV and drone footage.

The survivors, just beginning to process the nightmare they endured, spoke in the days after the attack. Many described how spouses, children or grandparents were killed by the Hamas gunmen who had invaded their homes. Some were shot dead, others burned alive. In some homes, entire families were slaughtered or kidnapped.

“It’s like a 9/11,” said kibbutz secretary Alon Pauker, referring to Al Qaeda’s 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, but with a difference: “You know everyone who died.”

Some of the survivors cried as they spoke, others were stoic. Some were enraged, their ire directed at the killers but also at Israel’s leaders, who they said had failed to fulfill their most fundamental duty – protecting them.

Like many Israelis, whose sense of security has been shattered by the attacks, they wanted to know how Hamas militants had so comprehensively breached Israel’s border defenses, and why the army they trusted had been so taken by surprise and taken so long to respond.

Anger at the government is intense. Some ministers who have tried to visit the injured in hospitals or displaced survivors have been berated and forced to leave.

The Israeli state “failed us totally,” said kibbutz secretary Pauker.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hamas snipers shooting civilians trying to leave 

The source of that information is a 22 seconds-long video of dead civilians which was taken by a man biking through the area.

There is absolutely no evidence presented to substantiate that they were killed by either Hamas or the IDF.

WWW.SEMAFOR.COM

In his first speech since Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah distanced his group from the attack on Israel but warned that the U.S. would "pay the price" for the war spilling over into a regional conflict.

Nasrallah is waiting and watching to see if Hamas faces "an existential threat" from Israel which would require Hezbollah to intervene, Kim Ghattas wrote in a recent Atlantic article. "Iran would likely prefer to sacrifice Hamas rather than waste Hezbollah, unless Iran itself comes under threat," she argued.

"In his first speech since Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah distanced his group from the attack on Israel but warned that the U.S. would "pay the price" for the war spilling over into a regional conflict".

...um...should I be worried? Not joking either. I don't follow this stuff personally but I keep an eye on this thread. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

"In his first speech since Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah distanced his group from the attack on Israel but warned that the U.S. would "pay the price" for the war spilling over into a regional conflict".

...um...should I be worried? Not joking either. I don't follow this stuff personally but I keep an eye on this thread. 

The US homeland? Probably not.

US interests/facilities overseas?  Maybe.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Hamas realizing their support among Muslim countries is mostly performative. 

No wai! Guess when you lose a few wars you stop escalating.

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The US homeland? Probably not.

US interests/facilities overseas?  Maybe.

This.

not going any further east than Spain and will 100% pretend to be Canadian when I’m there next year.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Pretty much as performative as any time Muslin nations act like they care about the Palestinians. They don't, it's almost always been performative or for self-interest.

like when Republicans “care” about Israelis. 

…or the military, teachers, cops, small business owners, children, parents, or anyone that isn’t a billionaire throwing money at them. 

• True 2

2 hours ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

DariDlXynsF2KJN_1699141685.jpeg

might i suggest not try to reclaim the phrase that was originated as an explicit call for genocide

like just pick a new one

Its one thing to reclaim a symbol that has been repurposed into one of hate.This is a dog whistle at best, the left freaks out over Pepe and ok hand signs but this is just hunky dory.

Shes also factually wrong about American views on the topic.

• Halal 1

EDITION.CNN.COM

Dearborn, Michigan – In 2020, Eman Hammoud was one of thousands of Michigan Muslims who helped President Joe Biden beat Donald Trump. A month ago, the Palestinian...

Enjoy President Trump then, I wonder where he’d stand on this crisis?

• True 1
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

DariDlXynsF2KJN_1699141685.jpeg

might i suggest not try to reclaim the phrase that was originated as an explicit call for genocide

like just pick a new one

Right? We should reclaim "Blood and soil" to just mean farmers working hard on their land. What could go wrong?!

:silly:

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Its one thing to reclaim a symbol that has been repurposed into one of hate.This is a dog whistle at best, the left freaks out over Pepe and ok hand signs but this is just hunky dory.

Shes also factually wrong about American views on the topic.

I legitimately don’t know what was derpier, Tlaib flying a Palestinian flag outside her Capital office, or Mast wearing an IDF uniform to Capital Hill.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I legitimately don’t know what was derpier, Tlaib flying a Palestinian flag outside her Capital office, or Mast wearing an IDF uniform to Capital Hill.

Assuming the IDF doesn’t allow uniforms to be used for political statements/to be worn post service that, if they’re authorized to wear their uniform post service than Talibs dog whistle.

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

Nothing wrong with what Tlaib did.

I don’t agree with a sitting rep flying another nations flag outside of their official US office in a federal government building. Your home? Car? Sure. This goes for any foreign nation’s flag, btw.

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Assuming the IDF doesn’t allow uniforms to be used for political statements/to be worn post service that, if they’re authorized to wear their uniform post service than Talibs dog whistle.

Dude volunteered for the IDF and only spent time packing medical supplies in Tel Aviv iirc

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t agree with a sitting rep flying another nations flag outside of their official US office in a federal government building. Your home? Car? Sure. This goes for any foreign nation’s flag, btw.

Dude volunteered for the IDF and only spent time packing medical supplies in Tel Aviv iirc

Oh one of those, then yeah him. All I knew was IDF service, not one of those weird evangelical volunteers who go there.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

As a people, we really need to get over the raging hard on we have about flags.  Who fucking cares?  

• Ukraine 1
  • Halal 2

30 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

We only allow the Confederate flag and the Palestinian flag around here! 

If a GOP house rep or senator was flying a Russian flag outside of their official office many on this board would have a “lol look at this asshole” comment, and they would be going 100% unchallenged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

no one would have any issue with that.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just now, Joe said:

I get it and that’s a fine opinion to have, but comparing this to Russia after they just attacked a country is not a great comparison imo.

The leaders of Gaza and majority seat holders of the Palestinian Legislative Council, aka Hamas, attacked another country.

• Halal 2