Holding off on BALDUR'S GATE 3 Is killing me!

HardAct

I've been doing so much better not buying games at launch but really the only reason is Gamepass and PS+ Ultimate. Everytime I go see what's new there is a game there "Free'ish" that I have had in my want to play list or even ones I have bought day one and have yet to open let alone actually play! Complaining aside Baldur's Gate 3 is really one I want Baldur's Gate III. I'm a huge fan of the first two and Neverwinter Nights, etc. It's been along time but they were very influential in my early PC RPG's. The reviews are ALL GREAT and I have heard NOTHING bad about it. Hell the length is like 80-100 hours! Crazy. Also finding myself wanting Remnant II but pretty sure that i'll be able to grab that one for sub $20 soon enough. It's already $37 on CD Keys.

Anyone here got any reason to not get this game now and enjoy it while supporting the Devs on releasing a game that checks all the boxes? 

• HardAct changed the title to Holding off on BALDUR'S GATE 3 Is killing me!
52 minutes ago, Bitgod said:

Oh don't get it now, there's a patch coming that's gonna fix 1000 things!! :shrug:

That's crazy, this game from what I have heard / read it's really stable, very little bugs. Really a testament in the era of ship it and fix it later age, this game is really impressive. Also zero monetization a unicorn in these days. Sad that this is a anomaly but it's nice to hear. The story's really supposed to be great and .......OK! I'll stop, it's good from what I hear is all....

The thing I hate is the conversation from devs about a game like Baldurs Gate 3 not giving gamers too much of an expectation that other games will be better, because making games is haaaarrrrd. 

"Larian had a decade of experience in the same genre to perfect it." Cool, so did BioWare, that didn't stop EA from turning their games to shit.

"Larian is a large studio." Cool, they have like 400 people. You know how many people Blizzard has? ~1500. 

I do hope it's something of a wake up call for the industry, even though I won't be. Baldurs Gate 3 was a massive gamble that paid off because they did it right. It was an investment that took 6-7  years to pay off, and I think that's what AAA Devs are allergic to these days. When the only thing saving your job is next quarters profits, it's hard to sell the idea of a massive game that won't see a profit until you're long gone.

40 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The thing I hate is the conversation from devs about a game like Baldurs Gate 3 not giving gamers too much of an expectation that other games will be better, because making games is haaaarrrrd.

Did someone here say it or somewhere else? In any case this isn't the takeaway. The takeaway is Larian can make the game they want with a pretty good budget while AAA game devs make the games the publishers want which is why they turn out the way they do.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

"Larian had a decade of experience in the same genre to perfect it." Cool, so did BioWare, that didn't stop EA from turning their games to shit.

"Larian is a large studio." Cool, they have like 400 people. You know how many people Blizzard has? ~1500. 

I do hope it's something of a wake up call for the industry, even though I won't be. Baldurs Gate 3 was a massive gamble that paid off because they did it right. It was an investment that took 6-7  years to pay off, and I think that's what AAA Devs are allergic to these days. When the only thing saving your job is next quarters profits, it's hard to sell the idea of a massive game that won't see a profit until you're long gone.

The person who originally started that controversy on twitter later doubled down saying it's not possible for others due the "INSANE" funding Larian had due to the IP.

The head of publishing at Larian then went on to point out that not only did they receive no funding from WotC, they had to pay for the DnD license and beg them to give it to them. :| 

The response from some devs on this game was really fuckin weird. The idea that some of these studios don’t have the same resources that Larian had is absurd. It should be a wake up call to publishers that if you give a talented team the resources and leave them the hell alone and stop trying to squeeze every penny from your customers, incredible experiences (and profitable ones) are possible.

As for you @HardAct, you should just get the game. If it’s not like a budgetary thing just buy it. It’s an amazing game and it deserves to be rewarded.  

29 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The response from some devs on this game was really fuckin weird. The idea that some of these studios don’t have the same resources that Larian had is absurd. It should be a wake up call to publishers that if you give a talented team the resources and leave them the hell alone and stop trying to squeeze every penny from your customers, incredible experiences (and profitable ones) are possible.

As for you @HardAct, you should just get the game. If it’s not like a budgetary thing just buy it. It’s an amazing game and it deserves to be rewarded.  

Depends on how you look at it. My guess is that it's early damage control in that they are realizing that their projects are vastly inferior. At face value, it appears that they're throwing shade at Larian saying that BG3 is a unicorn. It has prompted a TON of backlash from fans, influencers, and game press. However, what I HOPE it is them using the backlash to influence the suits that want them to keep cranking out reskins and sequels of the same games. The main reason I'm hopeful is the number of devs that posted & responded. 

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

Depends on how you look at it. My guess is that it's early damage control in that they are realizing that their projects are vastly inferior. At face value, it appears that they're throwing shade at Larian saying that BG3 is a unicorn. It has prompted a TON of backlash from fans, influencers, and game press. However, what I HOPE it is them using the backlash to influence the suits that want them to keep cranking out reskins and sequels of the same games. The main reason I'm hopeful is the number of devs that posted & responded. 

That’s a nice thing to hope but would be shocked if it is true. 

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

"Larian had a decade of experience in the same genre to perfect it." Cool, so did BioWare, that didn't stop EA from turning their games to shit

yeah as you pointed out the issue here and in many situations is a shit greedy publisher. Developers can’t do shit if publishers or executives (of self publishing) just push games out the door before they’re ready or keep expanding the scope, changing directions, all while not increasing the budget or extending timelines to appropriate deliver on any of it. 

Larian also isn’t releasing broken ass console versions. Meanwhile CDPR pushed out console versions of CP2077 that wasn’t in a releasable state for another year. While I’m sure testers, coders, designers, etc would have rather held off so it wasn’t an embarrassing mess. 

the people responsible for the decisions that lead to bad games at release aren’t the people that were tweeting or who many are blaming. They’re acting like a writer or a design lead can unilaterally tell the CEO or publisher to fuck off that they’re going to release the game in 6 years, not 2. 

the people who need to learn the lessons of BG3’s development aren’t learning shit, because the only thing they care about, money, is still rolling in. You think EA is looking at BG3 and thinking “yeah, FIFA doesn’t need loot boxes” when micro transactions bring in billions? 

im sure there are game directors that just aren’t asking for the extra couple of weeks or few months, and if they did they’d get them. But I’m sure more get told no and that they need to release on a specific day so share holders will be happy. 

44 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah as you pointed out the issue here and in many situations is a shit greedy publisher. Developers can’t do shit if publishers or executives (of self publishing) just push games out the door before they’re ready or keep expanding the scope, changing directions, all while not increasing the budget or extending timelines to appropriate deliver on any of it. 

Larian also isn’t releasing broken ass console versions. Meanwhile CDPR pushed out console versions of CP2077 that wasn’t in a releasable state for another year. While I’m sure testers, coders, designers, etc would have rather held off so it wasn’t an embarrassing mess. 

the people responsible for the decisions that lead to bad games at release aren’t the people that were tweeting or who many are blaming. They’re acting like a writer or a design lead can unilaterally tell the CEO or publisher to fuck off that they’re going to release the game in 6 years, not 2. 

the people who need to learn the lessons of BG3’s development aren’t learning shit, because the only thing they care about, money, is still rolling in. You think EA is looking at BG3 and thinking “yeah, FIFA doesn’t need loot boxes” when micro transactions bring in billions? 

im sure there are game directors that just aren’t asking for the extra couple of weeks or few months, and if they did they’d get them. But I’m sure more get told no and that they need to release on a specific day so share holders will be happy. 

Yeah I fully believe the primary problem is executives and publishers insisting on "what will sell" and insisting on continual revenue mechanisms that make the game design worse. We ought to embrace Larian's success and push these people to budge on their nonsense, although the likely effect is most executives and publishers will ignore it and continue doing what they do.

• True 1

15 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Yea,

I'm buying it this weekend as I want to support the devs. I do hate spending these launch prices but money is not an issue I just have so many AAA games to still play as it is. Even games like Divinity II, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Looking forward to it alot!

• Hype 1

9 hours ago, HardAct said:

Yea,

I'm buying it this weekend as I want to support the devs. I do hate spending these launch prices but money is not an issue I just have so many AAA games to still play as it is. Even games like Divinity II, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera. Looking forward to it alot!

That's the CRPG dream list right there! All of those games are great!