Promising results for new cancer drug that directly targets "all" cancer cells

GettyImages-1477214805_1690905061.jpg?qu
METRO.CO.UK

The 'miracle' leaves healthy cells unaffected.

Scientists have developed a ‘holy grail’ molecule that kills all solid cancer tumours, leaving healthy cells unaffected.

The team at the City of Hope, one of the largest cancer research and treatment organisations in the US, made the breakthrough against the proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) protein.

In a mutated form PCNA is critical in DNA replication and repair of all expanding tumours, but a molecule developed by the team, AOH1996, targets and kills the mutated PCNA.

Previously PCNA was thought too challenging to be a target for therapy, but preclinical research shows AOH1996 seems to annihilate all solid tumours – without effects on other body cells.

The team is continuing to investigate the mechanisms that make this cancer-stopping pill work in animal models, while a Phase 1 clinical trial test is also ongoing in humans.

However, it is not yet known if the drug will continue to be taken in pill form once fully developed and approved for use.

The new therapy is the result of 20 years of research and development – and is named after Anna Olivia Healey (AOH), a young girl born in 1996 who unfortunately was not able to beat cancer.

Here's another probably too good to be true scientific result. Only animals models thus far lowers my confidence quite a bit because history is littered with drugs and treatments that work in specific lab animals and not people. Furthermore, I can't help but be skeptical of the claim being "all" cancer cells. Feels like there's hype going on here.

However, that it's 20 year long research gives some credibility and that they are already in human trials is also encouraging.

So, like with room-temperature superconductors, I wouldn't get your hopes up, but the news seems interesting enough to share.

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 3

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Alternative solution: we use DNA/RNA-modification therapy to change ourselves to be more like mice, and then all these drugs will work.

Also, you can't get cancer if you're no longer biological. Just saying.

• Shocked 2
  • True 1

Here’s the listing on clinicaltrials.gov in case anyone’s curious.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05227326?term=AOH1996&rank=1

EDIT - and here’s the link to the journal referenced in the OP:

1-s2.0-S2451945623002210-fx1.jpg
WWW.SCIENCEDIRECT.COM

Targeting transcription replication conflicts, a major source of endogenous DNA double-stranded breaks and genomic instability could have important an…

If it even just had 1 type of cancer cell and completely rid the body of it, it would be amazing. To kill them all is something I still feel like is just a dream scenario but THIS WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING!!! This from someone who has lost pretty much every family member on both my mom and dad’s side to cancer. Lung tends to be the main cancer on both sides and from both smokers/non smokers. 

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

My penis could be immortal?!

Kind of like how when trees evolved to have bark (but bacteria/fungus hadn't yet evolved to consume it) so dead trees just covered the land and didn't break down...but this time it will be billions of unbreakable penises covering the world.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Kind of like how when trees evolved to have bark (but bacteria/fungus hadn't yet evolved to consume it) so dead trees just covered the land and didn't break down...but this time it will be billions of unbreakable penises covering the world.

"Wait! We haven't transferred your consciousness yet?"

"No need... I am one with the planet now."

I really like PDS Biotech's approach as well. Basically sets a "marker" on something and your white blood cells attack it. The focus is cancer but it looks like it works on viruses too. It's kind of like CAR-T therapy, but it uses your own white blood cells and seems to be more effective. The HPV-cancer treatment/vaccine they have in early Phase 3 trials seems to be 3.5-4x more effective than the ones currently out.

I want to believe that this is some magic pill that cures all cancer diseases. I imagine it more realistically being used to control metastatic diseases after someone has done rounds of chemo or something rather than replacing our existing treatments. I hope it's a miracle. 

Obviously I try not to get excited about most of these types of announcements, but I also try to remind myself that 100 years ago, if you'd told someone "Oh you have Leprosy? Just take some pills. Oh you are afraid of Polio or Smallpox? You won't get either because we have injections to prevent both, and the latter doesn't exist anymore," you'd be laughed at.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously I try not to get excited about most of these types of announcements, but I also try to remind myself that 100 years ago, if you'd told someone "Oh you have Leprosy? Just take some pills. Oh you are afraid of Polio or Smallpox? You won't get either because we have injections to prevent both, and the latter doesn't exist anymore," you'd be laughed at.

In our lifetime we were told HIV was basically unstoppable and now look where we are.

• Halal 2