Came home to a Biggie

Brian

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Did they check for a leak? Sounds like a leak. 

Nope.  Bud wanted out in hurry. I plan on calling the office tomorrow. They came in May for the annual maintenance so either they noticed the low levels and said fuck it or it was fine and I leaked 2 units of refrigerant since then.  

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Is that actually how they work?

I'm pretty sure it's something like as the refrigerant boils it evaporates/turns to vapor which is what causes the cooling effect. But that's just second had knowledge so don't just take it as fact.

16 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'm pretty sure it's something like as the refrigerant boils it evaporates/turns to vapor which is what causes the cooling effect. But that's just second had knowledge so don't just take it as fact.

no this is correct. It's basically the same thermodynamic effect as your body sweating. warm air passing over/through an evaporator transfers heat from the air to the refrigerant, causing the refrigerant to absorb the heat and boil, and the cross air (which lost heat) cools down

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

no this is correct. It's basically the same thermodynamic effect as your body sweating. warm air passing over/through an evaporator transfers heat from the air to the refrigerant, causing the refrigerant to absorb the heat and boil, and the cross air (which lost heat) cools down

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

Shocking to no one, it started blowing room temperature air again last night. Called and complained. Came out and found the leak this time. Since the AC is only 2.5 years old, it’s under manufacturer warranty. 

$850 to blow some nitrogen through a line and record a video of the leak. 
Shocked Season 12 GIF by The Simpsons

On 8/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, SmugPrick said:

replaced the whole HVAC when I bought my place. shit was 25 years old and was underpowered 1.5ton for a 3000 sqft house. New one is a 2.5ton and definitely cools it down to my needs

Do you know if having a more powerful system lowered your energy expenses since it likely has to work less?