~~Official AR Glasses (Rokid Max, Nreal Air, etc.) Thread ~~

Rev

Ok I’m back with more thoughts on the glasses. I’m sort of in a love/hate relationship with them. The biggest obstacle for me is pairing this with my iPad(7th Gen) and my iPhone12 for watching movies/videos on. This device is clearly made for Android products and interface. I bought the wireless adaptor for them, but it isn’t too powerful with judder in some simple YouTube videos. Now if I want to watch my digital movies from my Apple or Google collection (Canada sucks this way) but won’t allow videos to be viewed on what is now considered a 3rd device. Not even downloaded movies to my iPad would play. Hopefully a fix or update can help, but I doubt it. I finally used them tonight for a match of Fiesta in Halo and WOW! Does this get disorienting/nausea inducing if your like me and constantly move your body when playing. The 120hrz works beautifully and wonder if the added smoothness contributed to my nausea feeling. The game look per sharp and the sound was pretty great for these glasses. Then I hit up some YouTube 3D SBS trailers and the 3D was kinda wonky but again it’s a stream, but had a few cool moments with the Mario trailer (hopefully a 3D disc release happens) I tried to get 3D working on my Oppo but was a no go. The HDMI I thought was broken because no image on my glasses UNTIL I turn my controller on. So I’m gonna dig out my old 360 system because it does 3D films and I think I still have a controller (fingers crossed) The image size also varied on what I was hooked up too. My apple and SteamDeck devices looked slightly smaller in comparison to when I was hooked up to my Series X. The movies looked great and at the same distance I sit from my projector screen. I’d say I was looking closer to a 120-130”  screen image to the 106” screen on my wall. I also bought a longer USB-C cable to extend my range from the devices. It worked one night and not the next and only seems to work for the provided cable given. 

Still lots of stuff I need to tinker around with. Like getting emulated 3D games for my deck and a workable solution for my extended cable needs. Now I just need money to travel and put them to good use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the impressions! Sounds like they're great if they work, but getting them to work is somewhat hit and miss. That's also interesting that the extension cable didn't work consistently. Personally I'll probably use these mostly with a Switch or Steam Deck so I'd have the device right in front of me, but it's a little concerning that an extension cord may not always work. 

I still have gotten only radio silence from Rokid about my order, despite emailing several days ago and the order being placed nearly a month ago. :( I'm praying to Almighty Zeus that I don't have a technical problem with mine once they finally arrive, like some people on Reddit have experienced, because it sounds like they're equally unresponsive in those cases. :/

I guess this is the price to pay for being an early adopter; maybe I'm not cut out for this. :p

• Hugs 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:02 AM, Nokra said:

Thanks for the impressions! Sounds like they're great if they work, but getting them to work is somewhat hit and miss. That's also interesting that the extension cable didn't work consistently. Personally I'll probably use these mostly with a Switch or Steam Deck so I'd have the device right in front of me, but it's a little concerning that an extension cord may not always work. 

I still have gotten only radio silence from Rokid about my order, despite emailing several days ago and the order being placed nearly a month ago. :( I'm praying to Almighty Zeus that I don't have a technical problem with mine once they finally arrive, like some people on Reddit have experienced, because it sounds like they're equally unresponsive in those cases. :/

I guess this is the price to pay for being an early adopter; maybe I'm not cut out for this. :p

I also got a little antsy with my order, even though I hadn’t been waiting nearly as long as you. So I emailed them asking to cancel my order, thinking the worst case scenario was they end up shipping them anyway, which I would be fine with ultimately. It took a couple days, but this morning I got confirmation that they cancelled the order and issued a refund. I think when that hits my card, I’ll just order the nreal (or I guess the newest version is xreal?). I want to try this technology, because I have a couple very specific use cases I want to try out, but I’ll be a lot more comfortable ordering something that’s been out for a minute and is widely available on a normal online retailer that has a pretty easy return process. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I also got a little antsy with my order, even though I hadn’t been waiting nearly as long as you. So I emailed them asking to cancel my order, thinking the worst case scenario was they end up shipping them anyway, which I would be fine with ultimately. It took a couple days, but this morning I got confirmation that they cancelled the order and issued a refund. I think when that hits my card, I’ll just order the nreal (or I guess the newest version is xreal?). I want to try this technology, because I have a couple very specific use cases I want to try out, but I’ll be a lot more comfortable ordering something that’s been out for a minute and is widely available on a normal online retailer that has a pretty easy return process. 

Yeah I can't say I blame you. I'm getting pretty frustrated with these guys, especially after hearing @Jasonsay he ordered June 9th and already got a tracking number and it's nearly delivered, and my order from two and a half weeks earlier hasn't moved at all. 

The other complication on my end is that over this long weekend I moved to a different apartment within my same building, so the address on the order is incorrect. I emailed them with the updated address but given that they haven't even responded to my other email from a week ago, I have basically zero hope that they won't fuck it up. I'm getting more and more tempted by the day to just cancel the order and put that nearly $600 towards an OLED TV. 

• Hugs 2

44 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

@Nokra That sucks. I just got the refund put back on my card, about 4 days after I requested it. Meanwhile, the xreal and adapter should be delivered tomorrow. Amazon is destroying the world or whatever, but dammit they get stuff done. :flag:

That sucks they are having so many issues with the orders. I still haven’t received some kind of eta or anything for mine either, sounds like they might be a bit overwhelmed. I’ll keep my order in since I have the x-real in the meantime and I’m not in a rush, but lack of communication on something like this is nerve racking.

Enjoy the xreal! It’s all I’ve personally tried so far and I think they are amazing. Make sure to update the firmware on it for both the glasses and the adapter when you get it. You just hook it to a pc and then go to 

You do the MCU update then the DP update - then go to the page for the adapter - the packaging isn’t clear on this. You don’t get 3D without doing this first. 

On 6/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, Nokra said:

@Jason

Did you order your Rokid Max with all of the adapters and add-ons? I'm just looking for another data point with your order vs. mine. 

The only add-on I bought was the hub: https://global.rokid.com/products/rokid-hub

Also if anyone is interested, tt came today and initial quick and dirty impressions are that holy shit is it hard to remove the nose rest. I was able to remove the default one and install the other one, but I want to go back to the first one and I can't get it out. I just ordered rubber tipped needle nose pliers that will hopefully work to get it out.

The reason I want to go back is the second one is slightly more comfortable but it results in the device sitting slightly too low on my face, ever-so-slightly affecting the view of the top of the "screen". If that still doesn't work to keep the device high enough, I'd say this is great as a video consumption device but is maybe not the best for using as a monitor to get work done on. But using it with my Galaxy S23 Ultra it seems you need to keep the phone screen on to drive the video display, which is suboptimal, and sound was still coming out of the built-in speakers even when I put in my Galaxy Buds (which the phone normally immediately automatically switches to). But I'll be poking around at these two points more, possibly not until the weekend though. If I can't get it to use Bluetooth audio with my phone then it's definitely going back (happy I put it on an Amex with return protection based on the miserable customer service you're describing), and it would also concern me if I really do have to keep the phone screen on the entire time I'm trying to watch something.

Also the hub didn't put my Switch into docked mode when I plugged it in with an MBP charger so it looks like it doesn't avert the issue of needing chargers with specific power profiles to get the Switch into docked mode.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m glad I kept the x-real otherwise I’d be worried about this nose guard thing, surprising it seems like such an obvious flaw.

I imagine the nose guard thing isn't a huge deal once you've settled on one but it's a bit of a PITA right now trying to decide on which one I want to use.

Did you order the x-real from Amazon?

Just now, Jason said:

I imagine the nose guard thing isn't a huge deal once you've settled on one but it's a bit of a PITA right now trying to decide on which one I want to use.

Did you order the x-real from Amazon?

Yeah I ordered it from Amazon. The first pair I got was defective so they refunded me for that. The second pair I got was actually same day delivery at the time I purchased it and I did indeed get it that same day.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah I ordered it from Amazon. The first pair I got was defective so they refunded me for that. The second pair I got was actually same day delivery at the time I purchased it and I did indeed get it that same day.

If I can't get a good placement with either of the nose guards maybe I should order an X-real and comparison test. :thinking: Seems like the main differences is no 120 Hz (sad) and no ability to watch 3D movies (lol who cares)?

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wait yours doesn't have a nose guard @stepee? Or is it just a lot easier to swap?

61hIMTmfk6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3D is awesome as you can play 3DS games in 3D on the deck and it rules hard.  But x-real does that too now. They added it via firmware. I just never tried any guards honestly, I think there may be some others in the box but the default ones seem fine. I’m more concerned with visibility of the display, I’m not overly sensitive to nose guards I think.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

3D is awesome as you can play 3DS games in 3D on the deck and it rules hard.  But x-real does that too now. They added it via firmware. I just never tried any guards honestly, I think there may be some others in the box but the default ones seem fine. I’m more concerned with visibility of the display, I’m not overly sensitive to nose guards I think.

The visibility of the display is fine for watching full screen video, where it was noticeable was using it hooked up to a Mac and not having a quite 100% complete view of the menu bar. Like sitting a tiny bit too close to an actual screen, you're gonna notice it a hell of a lot more with actual UI elements being ever so slightly out of complete view than the very edges of a full screen video being out of view. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The visibility of the display is fine for watching full screen video, where it was noticeable was using it hooked up to a Mac and not having a quite 100% complete view of the menu bar. Like sitting a tiny bit too close to an actual screen, you're gonna notice it a hell of a lot more with actual UI elements being ever so slightly out of complete view than the very edges of a full screen video being out of view. 

I use it primarily for videogames so I hope that doesn’t cut the hud off too much.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I use it primarily for videogames so I hope that doesn’t cut the hud off too much.

Once I figure out how to get it to put my Switch into docked mode I can report on TotK.

@Nokra if you sign up for a FedEx account you may be able to get FedEx to hold it for pickup once it ships. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/faq/delivery-manager.html

Maybe sign up with FedEx with your old address and change it to your new address once you have the Rokid in hand.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

The only add-on I bought was the hub: https://global.rokid.com/products/rokid-hub

Also if anyone is interested, tt came today and initial quick and dirty impressions are that holy shit is it hard to remove the nose rest. I was able to remove the default one and install the other one, but I want to go back to the first one and I can't get it out. I just ordered rubber tipped needle nose pliers that will hopefully work to get it out.

The reason I want to go back is the second one is slightly more comfortable but it results in the device sitting slightly too low on my face, ever-so-slightly affecting the view of the top of the "screen". If that still doesn't work to keep the device high enough, I'd say this is great as a video consumption device but is maybe not the best for using as a monitor to get work done on. But using it with my Galaxy S23 Ultra it seems you need to keep the phone screen on to drive the video display, which is suboptimal, and sound was still coming out of the built-in speakers even when I put in my Galaxy Buds (which the phone normally immediately automatically switches to). But I'll be poking around at these two points more, possibly not until the weekend though. If I can't get it to use Bluetooth audio with my phone then it's definitely going back (happy I put it on an Amex with return protection based on the miserable customer service you're describing), and it would also concern me if I really do have to keep the phone screen on the entire time I'm trying to watch something.

Also the hub didn't put my Switch into docked mode when I plugged it in with an MBP charger so it looks like it doesn't avert the issue of needing chargers with specific power profiles to get the Switch into docked mode.

When using them with your S23, turn on Samsung Dex mode then you can use it with the screen off. And Dex is amazing on the glasses. 

Also, I honestly recommend just removing the nose guards. The glasses are super comfortable without them imo. I still haven't gotten pads for mine and I wear them for hours at a time. I do get little red marks after like 4 hours but they fade fast and they don't hurt. 

Sorry you guys are having issues getting shipping. A lot of people on their Discord are complaining about that. It seems that the shipping is fine in the US (though seemingly random and they don't ship in chronological order at all) but a ton of people outside the US aren't getting anything for whatever reason and the company is super small and can't really keep up with the demand apparently. 

• Like 1

I was getting really annoyed about the shipping delays, but I think I'm going to turn it into a game so that I don't drive myself crazy. If they don't at least ship within another week, that's the universe telling me to pull the trigger on an LG G3. :] 

:p 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Once I figure out how to get it to put my Switch into docked mode I can report on TotK.

@Nokra if you sign up for a FedEx account you may be able to get FedEx to hold it for pickup once it ships. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/faq/delivery-manager.html

Maybe sign up with FedEx with your old address and change it to your new address once you have the Rokid in hand.

That's a good idea, thanks. I would absolutely cry if they got returned to Rokid after all of this. :rofl: :cry:

1 minute ago, Rev said:

When using them with your S23, turn on Samsung Dex mode then you can use it with the screen off.

I'll have to keep playing with this. This did keep video running while turning the screen off but some Dex UI elements stayed present even after full screening my video. But I've never really used Dex so maybe there are settings for this I just need to find out where to look for.

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

Also, I honestly recommend just removing the nose guards. The glasses are super comfortable without them imo. I still haven't gotten pads for mine and I wear them for hours at a time. I do get little red marks after like 4 hours but they fade fast and they don't hurt. 

The issue isn't comfort, it's literally keeping them high enough to keep the visible area in the right place. Using this example Mac screenshot, there's a small area in the top middle of the display area (my red quick paint job here) that gets slightly "hidden" if the glasses start sliding down at all because of say any amount of sweat.

image.png

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Also, my primary use case is with my macbook air and I can see the whole screen perfectly after just removing the nose guards. 

I have a feeling that this is a highly YMMV situation with how the shape of the devices interacts with the exact shape of someone's face.

You can also pick up the anti-slip strap accessory. It will keep them all the way up on your nose for sure. Mine generally just stay there for the most part but I use the anti-slip strap for when I'm wearing them while cooking or doing dishes or whatever. 

I switched to the 2nd nose guard as well. They weren’t too bad while I watched the latest Grand Tour special, and looked at random stuff on my SX system. Video was stunning and the sound is really impressing me now. Had a little distortion in lower end sounds when the engines were showing off their “horsepower” Then things sounded fine after that and heard louder cleaner sounds and could have just been their recording. I should try with the nose guard out and just need to slightly pinch and yank hard. I also bought a USB-C M-F extending cable. That way the one that came with the glasses were still in use. Happy to say all worked fine this time and could comfortably rest with my head back in bed and watch on the ceiling. 

In all honesty. Should we just start a thread for AR glasses from Xreal/Rokid /Apple and more(?)

• True 1

34 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I switched to the 2nd nose guard as well. They weren’t too bad while I watched the latest Grand Tour special, and looked at random stuff on my SX system. Video was stunning and the sound is really impressing me now. Had a little distortion in lower end sounds when the engines were showing off their “horsepower” Then things sounded fine after that and heard louder cleaner sounds and could have just been their recording. I should try with the nose guard out and just need to slightly pinch and yank hard. I also bought a USB-C M-F extending cable. That way the one that came with the glasses were still in use. Happy to say all worked fine this time and could comfortably rest with my head back in bed and watch on the ceiling. 

In all honesty. Should we just start a thread for AR glasses from Xreal/Rokid /Apple and more(?)

Might be a good idea!

36 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Yeah I'm game for a dedicated AR glasses topic if you all are. Let me know if you'd like me to and I can even split off the relevant posts from this topic and merge them into that one.  Also totally fine to just proceed in that topic; whatever you all want. :mdancing:

On 6/19/2023 at 11:48 AM, stepee said:

That sucks they are having so many issues with the orders. I still haven’t received some kind of eta or anything for mine either, sounds like they might be a bit overwhelmed. I’ll keep my order in since I have the x-real in the meantime and I’m not in a rush, but lack of communication on something like this is nerve racking.

Enjoy the xreal! It’s all I’ve personally tried so far and I think they are amazing. Make sure to update the firmware on it for both the glasses and the adapter when you get it. You just hook it to a pc and then go to 

You do the MCU update then the DP update - then go to the page for the adapter - the packaging isn’t clear on this. You don’t get 3D without doing this first. 

It seems like I can’t do anything with them without doing this first, and since I don’t have a usb-c port on my PC, I have to wait until I get an adapter. I’m gonna laugh when I end up returning these because they give me a headache or something. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

It seems like I can’t do anything with them without doing this first, and since I don’t have a usb-c port on my PC, I have to wait until I get an adapter. I’m gonna laugh when I end up returning these because they give me a headache or something. 

Oh that’s right there is an activation you need to do first before anything: 

You can also activate with an android phone/tablet using the nebula app if you have that.

13 hours ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I'm game for a dedicated AR glasses topic if you all are. Let me know if you'd like me to and I can even split off the relevant posts from this topic and merge them into that one.  Also totally fine to just proceed in that topic; whatever you all want. :mdancing:

:thumbup:

@Rev 

I got mine! Worked flawlessly with the steam deck right off the bat, even with the charging hub, which is the main motivation I have for these (for travel). Not setup or anything -- just plugged them in and away it went! The colors are indeed surprisingly bold seems like it will be great for my trips.

I'll echo that I feel like the screen is slightly too large. If we can modify its size that would be awesome. Maybe there is a way to do that through the steam deck system settings at least, if not through the glasses. I'm on an iPhone so I can't use it with that, but I think I heard there are adapters it will work with? I might give that a try.

• Like 2