~~Official AR Glasses (Rokid Max, Nreal Air, etc.) Thread ~~

Rev

54 minutes ago, legend said:

@Rev 

I got mine! Worked flawlessly with the steam deck right off the bat, even with the charging hub, which is the main motivation I have for these (for travel). Not setup or anything -- just plugged them in and away it went! The colors are indeed surprisingly bold seems like it will be great for my trips.

I'll echo that I feel like the screen is slightly too large. If we can modify its size that would be awesome. Maybe there is a way to do that through the steam deck system settings at least, if not through the glasses. I'm on an iPhone so I can't use it with that, but I think I heard there are adapters it will work with? I might give that a try.

Wow, that was insanely fast! Two days?! 

Did you order any of the accessories besides the hub?

The rubber tipped needle nose pliers came last night and the nose guard came right off. I think it was less that it was stuck and more that I couldn't get a good grip on it with my fingers.

I screwed around with it for a few minutes this morning with the original nose guard reattached and I think it solves the main problem I was having, it seems to do a better job of keeping the device right in the sweet spot to not have parts of the "screen" out of view. 

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

Wow, that was insanely fast! Two days?! 

Did you order any of the accessories besides the hub?

I think I ordered it sooner than I posted that I did but it was less than a week delivery for sure. 

Just the charging hub for accessories. 

4 hours ago, legend said:

@Rev 

I got mine! Worked flawlessly with the steam deck right off the bat, even with the charging hub, which is the main motivation I have for these (for travel). Not setup or anything -- just plugged them in and away it went! The colors are indeed surprisingly bold seems like it will be great for my trips.

I'll echo that I feel like the screen is slightly too large. If we can modify its size that would be awesome. Maybe there is a way to do that through the steam deck system settings at least, if not through the glasses. I'm on an iPhone so I can't use it with that, but I think I heard there are adapters it will work with? I might give that a try.

Ever so slightly shrinking the screen size would definitely help with needing to maintain the sweet spot on nothing getting cut off.

Also my initial impression is that using it with the blackout cover on and brightness at max is the clearly superior option. With the blackout cover off the brightness setting is almost more of an opacity setting.

• True 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:56 AM, legend said:

@Rev 

That's awesome! Did you try removing the nose guards? For me the size is totally fine without the nose guards. I can see everything perfectly. 

I might have to email them and ask if I can like cancel whatever accessory is apparently holding back my order and just get the damn glasses. The 60hz is starting to become annoying with my new setup with the laptop and rog both being 120hz and I don’t want to make any more adjustments to my docking situation until I get these in.

36 minutes ago, stepee said:

I might have to email them and ask if I can like cancel whatever accessory is apparently holding back my order and just get the damn glasses. The 60hz is starting to become annoying with my new setup with the laptop and rog both being 120hz and I don’t want to make any more adjustments to my docking situation until I get these in.

Expecting to get a response back from these fuckers... 

N0E9mAQ.gif?noredirect
IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Not yet, I'll have to look into that!

You do have the Rokids and not the Xreal air right? I recommended removing the guards completely to like a dozen people on the Rokid discord now and it totally fixed the issue for all but one of them. It should just pull right off really easily to try it. I'm still looking for an ideal long-term fix to make it even more comfortable. Maybe very thin stick-on padding on the nose rim. I'm also thinking about adding like a quarter-inch pad to the top front of the glasses so my brows aren't actually touching the glasses where the vents are. A bit worried about sweat getting in there. 

@silentbobSo I wasted some time today trying to get 3D working for movies and here is what I found, and I’m not sure rokid is any different as I’ve only tried x-real:

The whole trick to sbs working or not is the aspect ratio. You need to double it horizontally so it’s a 32:9 ratio. Not just the resolution on your device, but the content needs to be played at that aspext ratio.

This was working more naturally for 3D gaming as I was used to setting that for gaming. I didn’t realize that setting the desktop wasn’t enough so that the video was actually playing in the correct aspect.

The solution that ended up working for me was downloading vlc player on my windows laptop and 3D sbs movies worked after forcing the aspect to 32:9 in the video options under preferences.

From what I understand this (forcing the aspect ratio to 32:9) works with Android as well through the vlc app and also without having to do anything through the samsung dex app on a supported device.

Things that didn’t it work:

ps5 apparently doesn’t support 3D blu rays at all? I then tested in VR and apparently watching 3d movies isn’t supported like in psvr1, lame

Xbox doesn’t seem to recognize the xreal as a 3D capable display - it was at this point that I looked and realized no device will really work to play 3D blu rays because it has to specifically be in SBS format. Unless it was a player that supported sbs but then that won’t work unless it can change the aspect ratio as well. 

Sbs mode won’t even turn on with my iphone so that was out 

I bought Super Mario Bros 3D on vudu to try to get it working but the app doesn’t support 3D on pc I guess? And on Android it might not work anyway if you can’t change the aspect ratio in the app. I actually don’t understand really even why they sell it. Maybe it does work in the vudu app on Android, I don’t have a device to test.

Overall kind of frustrating/disappointing but at least I did get it working for SBS files, which is the most important thing overall. It’s just I don’t know how to get Mario in 3D now.

Edit: Oh and I also did an overly ambitious set up of an Android environment in Windows 11 and got vudu for Android installed and then the app didn’t even give the option to play or download the content there lol

• Like 1

I've used the SBS a fair amount now on Rokid and it seems to work pretty well with everything I've tried including YouTube and Amazon videos. It has half SBS mode and full SBS. It also automatically switches the display of my Macbook Air to match the resolution. I've also used it a bunch on the steam deck with citra. 

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I've used the SBS a fair amount now on Rokid and it seems to work pretty well with everything I've tried including YouTube and Amazon videos. It has half SBS mode and full SBS. It also automatically switches the display of my Macbook Air to match the resolution. I've also used it a bunch on the steam deck with citra. 

You use dex right? That I heard works well. Does the vudu app work, if you’ve tried?

On my laptop it adjusts the resolution on the desktop when I turn in sbs but no video content works right unless I can set the aspect so no youtube etc. Citra, dolphin etc all work by setting the resolution correctly. Xreal only does FSBS I think though, so maybe this all works better with Rokid!

If vudu (as one of the few legal ways to watch new 3D movies) at least works with dex that would be cool and might make me the trigger on the next fold instead of iphone.

Does vlc player play physical blu-rays if you have an external blu ray drive? That would be one way to get those to work.

19 minutes ago, Rev said:

I tried to watch a Vudu movie in my browser but they're all paid and the trailers don't appear to be in 3D so I wasn't able to test it on my Macbook. 

There is one free movie 3D movie! You’d have to test it on your phone though I think, it doesn’t work on windows anyway. You have to filter by 3D movies and then by free and one should show.

• Nokra changed the title to ~~Official AR Glasses (Rokid Max, Nreal Air, etc.) Thread ~~

Nice, thanks! Any update on your order yet? I never even contacted them because I’ve been lazy but I just got the notice from the shop app and an email. It says 5-15 days but that it’s coming from California so I don’t see how that could be right. 

Of course on Sunday I’m planning to be gone for almost a week to Reno so I imagine that is when it will arrive.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Nice, thanks! Any update on your order yet? I never even contacted them because I’ve been lazy but I just got the notice from the shop app and an email. It says 5-15 days but that it’s coming from California so I don’t see how that could be right. 

Of course on Sunday I’m planning to be gone for almost a week to Reno so I imagine that is when it will arrive.

No, unfortunately still nothing. :cry:

I just sent them yet another email (this makes #4) to try and have them update my shipping address since my move a couple weeks ago. I'm expecting nothing.

Remind me again, please: did you get all of the accessories? I'm kind of thinking that it's the wireless adapter that's slowing down shipment. 

On a related note, it was noted on the official Rokid reddit account (so these are legit) that Amazon is now selling these. Here's the product page on Amazon. I'm tempted to just try and cancel my order through Rokid and go through Amazon, but of course they don't seem to have the accessories, and at this point it's been a month and a half since I placed my order so I have to hope they're getting close to shipping. @stepee getting a shipping notice also makes me hopeful that mine is coming soon, but it's kind of feeling like a sick joke at this point. :p 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I just sent them yet another email (this makes #4) to try and have them update my shipping address since my move a couple weeks ago. I'm expecting nothing.

Remind me again, please: did you get all of the accessories? I'm kind of thinking that it's the wireless adapter that's slowing down shipment. 

I got all of them including the wireless adapter! It sucks because the other day they were selling them on Amazon with 3 day shipping (still might be)!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I got all of them including the wireless adapter! It sucks because the other day they were selling them on Amazon with 3 day shipping (still might be)!

Hmm, yeah that does kind of make me hopeful that it's coming soon, but they also don't seem to be fulfilling orders linearly. :/ 

Honestly, at this point they've already burned the bridge with me and I'd never buy from them directly ever again. They suck absolute shit at any semblance of customer service. :/ 

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

I got the charging hub but not the wireless hub. I also noticed you can’t seem to order the wireless hub separately, so it’s possible that is limited and the blocker. 

1 minute ago, legend said:

I got the charging hub but not the wireless hub. I also noticed you can’t seem to order the wireless hub separately, so it’s possible that is limited and the blocker. 

Yeah if I could order the wireless adapter separately, I would absolutely cancel my order with Rokid and place a separate order for just the accessories, ordering the glasses themselves directly through Amazon. At least then I could use the glasses with my Steam Deck while waiting on the accessories. 

Just now, Rev said:

I got the wireless adapter and it's not that good. Recommend cancelling it if you ordered one. There's a latency. 

are there any others that might work better. I noticed that lag as well with my iPad use and can really enjoy watching YouTube 3D trailers with them. I would say skip it completely unless unless your a desperate Apple user like me

Other wireless adapters? I don't think so. I think you'd have to pay a lot to get it without latency if it's even possible. Would wait until the wireless tech is better. I imagine the glasses themselves are a couple iterations from being fully wireless. 

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

On a related note, it was noted on the official Rokid reddit account (so these are legit) that Amazon is now selling these. Here's the product page on Amazon. I'm tempted to just try and cancel my order through Rokid and go through Amazon, but of course they don't seem to have the accessories, and at this point it's been a month and a half since I placed my order so I have to hope they're getting close to shipping. @stepee getting a shipping notice also makes me hopeful that mine is coming soon, but it's kind of feeling like a sick joke at this point. :p 

Have they actually charged your card yet? If so you should be filing a chargeback for never received the item pretty soon considering they're not shipping, you're close to running out of time on that if they did charge your card. Should put in a cancelation request now and charge back if they haven't responded by the end of the week. 

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS. It took four emails and six weeks, but I finally got a reply from Rokid customer service about changing the address on my order: 

YQIMUMp.png

Soooo... on the one hand I'm very excited because I guess this means it should be sent out soon! :dancing: On the other hand, I asked them to change the address on June 19th and never got a response, so it's a bit irritating to be told that they can't do anything now. :silly:

In any case, it should be fine that it's going to my old address... I'm in the same building and the building uses a package locker that I believe is by name, not unit number. Plus I set up a FedEx account like @Jason suggested so FedEx may also be able to redirect it to my correct address or hold it for me if it does get rejected at my building.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Have they actually charged your card yet? If so you should be filing a chargeback for never received the item pretty soon considering they're not shipping, you're close to running out of time on that if they did charge your card. Should put in a cancelation request now and charge back if they haven't responded by the end of the week. 

They did charge my card on my order date, yeah. At this point I'm 43 days out from my order date (May 22nd) and the limit for chargebacks is 60 days, so I do have a little bit of time left. If I don't get a confirmation of shipment w/ a tracking number by the end of this week, I absolutely will be going down this path. 

Kind of regretting buying the wireless adapter at this point, especially if @Rev says it's pretty underwhelming. Oh well. 

• Hype 2

its-happening.gif

Finally got my tracking number! :dancing: 

They're coming via UPS not FedEx, apparently, and it looks like mine are also coming from Ontario, CA. I'm in Portland, OR, so I'm guessing they'll be here early next week! 

• Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

20 hours ago, Nokra said:

Arrival estimate provided: Tuesday! :dancing:

So who all is still waiting to receive them still?

I think you were last! Mine are out for delivery! Hope they actually deliver today (it’s really hit and miss if they are successful or not) as it would be perfect timing to try them on my trip on Sunday! 

So mine came in today with no delivery issues for a change, yay! A few impressions coming from x-real:

The bigger screen is nice but the least impressive thing about the upgrade - it is enough extra size to feel a bit more like a proper home theater but there is a trade off at least with this design where it’s a bit too big to where the xreal size could be preferred. 

The corners were indeed cut off in the bottom when I first put them on but I find that   by widening the nose guard it gets better all the way up to your nose going against the plastic at which point the corners are fully visible. I found a spot with them just barely touching my nose where I can still see the full screen but I have to still move my eyes to see the very bottom corners. That’s where maybe a size in between xreal and this would be preferred if we can’t have a slider.

The accessories I wish I didn’t get, I didn’t really need any of them since I had the xreal ones. The hdmi-usbc adapter is just one from ugreen it’s nothing unique, I see the wireless adapter is just something they are drop shipping from someone else too, and the hub while actually having some use doesn’t fit as flush as I’d hoped. Since getting all these probably delayed the order like 3 weeks that was a mistake.

I thought the hdmi-usbc adapter would be like the xreal one where you charge it and it’s wireless - this you need to power with micro usb. It’s fine for some purposes, I already use one so I can use the glasses with a dock. But it’s not what I thought. The good news is the xreal one works just fine with the rokid so I didn’t need another anyway.

But anyway besides the mistake of ordering some less exciting stuff, the glasses themselves Im very happy with so far. Having 120hz is of course great but the brightness is maybe the best part. 

The way these are designed is better for multitasking as well as in my normal laid back position in bed I get pretty much a full clear view of my tv now and then just look up to see the virtual screen and easily switch between the two.

They seem more comfortable overall and definitely would be if I could push my bridge further from the plastic and still see the corners. 

Im happy to report that 3D seems to work much better with these due to a second 3D mode. Watching with vlc player the display while 3D is bigger and the convergence seems corrected. It looks right now.

Also even my copy of Super Mario Bros Movie in 3D on Vudu works playing on my pc in 3D with these! Even though it doesn’t support pc if I click on it on the app from “resume” it actually plays it in sbs and works with the first 3D mode here. Hype to watch that soon. Now I just gotta figure out how to get Way of Water 3D on pc.

• Like 1

Oh and the hub is okay but it is kinda loose and feels wobbly when plugged into something. I wish these handheld pcs would start just having a second usb port. 

The coolest and best reason to get it is that you can essentially run the Switch in docked mode with the system out of its dock. It still needs to be plugged in and you still need to use the joycons removed from the system but it is more convenient than hooking up to the dock and could have its uses. 

So for example, if you were taking a plane somewhere and needed to play Bowsers Fury in 60fps which only is available docked, you can connect the switch to an external battery (im assuming one that can output 30w or so, Im using a 65w one I just got and it works) and the rokid glasses and you’re good to go. I’ll definitely be using this later this year when the big games start dropping. This will also be how I play the new Warioware game for sure. Now you can play off screen while using the joy cons.