~~Official AR Glasses (Rokid Max, Nreal Air, etc.) Thread ~~

Rev

Happy you finally got it. I exclusively use them with the nose guard completely removed but I think I'm going to add a pad to the front of the glasses to keep the venting a millimeter or so from my forehead. Hoping that will give me the right distance to where I can see the full screen comfortably. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 10:45 PM, Rev said:

Happy you finally got it. I exclusively use them with the nose guard completely removed but I think I'm going to add a pad to the front of the glasses to keep the venting a millimeter or so from my forehead. Hoping that will give me the right distance to where I can see the full screen comfortably. 

Someone on reddit said they bought this silicone nose piece and used some UV-activated adhesive to attach it, but they also speculated that using superglue or similar would work fine. Just a thought.

My glasses should be here tomorrow! :dancing:

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

There were fantastic on the train! Even though you feel like an idiot.

Ha yeah I imagine you get some looks, especially if you put the cover on them.

I'm really excited to try these out with my Steam Deck. I love the Deck, but the biggest downside for me is just kind of the nature of handhelds: constantly looking down! 

Also, I ended up signing up for UPS's premium service for $20 per year because they kept advertising that you could change the delivery address with the service, and I figured it was better to spend $20 to have it delivered to my new apartment in the same building rather than have the shipment be returned to Rokid and waiting another 6 weeks for its replacement :silly:.

So I paid the $20 for the service, and the only option they give you to change the delivery is to "redirect it to a neighbor". And the neighbor must be present and sign for it. So yeah... looks like I'm going to be my own neighbor and I'll be working from home tomorrow. :p 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Nokra said:

Also, I ended up signing up for UPS's premium service for $20 per year because they kept advertising that you could change the delivery address with the service, and I figured it was better to spend $20 to have it delivered to my new apartment in the same building rather than have the shipment be returned to Rokid and waiting another 6 weeks for its replacement :silly:.

So I paid the $20 for the service, and the only option they give you to change the delivery is to "redirect it to a neighbor". And the neighbor must be present and sign for it. So yeah... looks like I'm going to be my own neighbor and I'll be working from home tomorrow. :p 

These absolute jackasses... I paid the $20, told them to bring it to my new address (same building), and they still tried delivering to my old apartment, said I wasn't there, and couldn't even be bothered to call the number associated with the shipment or my account, so they're now taking my package to a "UPS Location" for me to pick up the next business day. :frustrated: 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

These absolute jackasses... I paid the $20, told them to bring it to my new address (same building), and they still tried delivering to my old apartment, said I wasn't there, and couldn't even be bothered to call the number associated with the shipment or my account, so they're now taking my package to a "UPS Location" for me to pick up the next business day. :frustrated: 

This sadly sounds about right :(

So... miracle of miracles... I made that post, looked out my window and saw a UPS truck delivering to a business a couple blocks further down the street and figured there was no way it was the same truck because it had been 30 minutes or so since I got the email sayin they'd missed me.... but it was! I was able to catch the driver and when I showed my ID he gave me the package. I've got my Rokid glasses! :dancing: I'll post some impressions later! 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 2

Just now, Nokra said:

So... miracle of miracles... I made that post, looked out my window and saw a UPS truck delivering to a business a couple blocks further down the street and figured there was no way it was the same truck because it had been 30 minutes or so since I got the email sayin they'd missed me.... but it was! I was able to catch the driver and when I showed my ID he gave me the package. I've got my Rokid glasses! :dancing: I'll post some impressions later! 

No fucking way! I’ve had dreams where I was able to make that happen like that on all my constantly missed deliveries. Rad!

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Season 3 Starz GIF by American Gods

• Haha 2

So very quick impressions (I'm still officially on the clock at work but I'm WFH today and it's my lunch hour :p): 

These things are pretty awesome! I played a quick round of Crash Bandicoot (from the "N Sane Trilogy") on my Steam Deck and a few things really stood out to me:

1. I also had to adjust the nosepads a little bit outwards to be able to view the whole "screen", since otherwise the glasses sat too far away from my eyes and cut off the bottom part. But after this super quick adjustment, it's wonderful!

2. The colors are amazing, especially in a colorful game like Crash Bandicoot. There's that micro OLED doing its thing! :dancing:

3. The sharpness is greater than I expected too; I had heard a few people complaining about a lack of sharpness, especially in the corners, but the image looks great to me all over!

4. The speakers are surprisingly good. If I was just sitting at home (i.e. not on an airplane or otherwise in a noisy place in public) I will almost certainly be using just the built-in speakers. 

5. The brightness level is fantastic! Even with the cover off, the only time I can't really see the screen is when I look directly out the window into a sunny background (yes, it's actually sunny in Portland today :p). Even looking around the room with the sunlight coming in the window, the screen is very usable.

I'm going to have to keep playing around with them some more and try out some different devices and content, but for now I'm solidly impressed. I'm still pissed that it took so long to get here and the company has absolutely atrocious communication, but they seem to have a great product. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nokra said:

So very quick impressions (I'm still officially on the clock at work but I'm WFH today and it's my lunch hour :p): 

These things are pretty awesome! I played a quick round of Crash Bandicoot (from the "N Sane Trilogy") on my Steam Deck and a few things really stood out to me:

1. I also had to adjust the nosepads a little bit outwards to be able to view the whole "screen", since otherwise the glasses sat too far away from my eyes and cut off the bottom part. But after this super quick adjustment, it's wonderful!

2. The colors are amazing, especially in a colorful game like Crash Bandicoot. There's that micro OLED doing its thing! :dancing:

3. The sharpness is greater than I expected too; I had heard a few people complaining about a lack of sharpness, especially in the corners, but the image looks great to me all over!

4. The speakers are surprisingly good. If I was just sitting at home (i.e. not on an airplane or otherwise in a noisy place in public) I will almost certainly be using just the built-in speakers. 

5. The brightness level is fantastic! Even with the cover off, the only time I can't really see the screen is when I look directly out the window into a sunny background (yes, it's actually sunny in Portland today :p). Even looking around the room with the sunlight coming in the window, the screen is very usable.

I'm going to have to keep playing around with them some more and try out some different devices and content, but for now I'm solidly impressed. I'm still pissed that it took so long to get here and the company has absolutely atrocious communication, but they seem to have a great product. 

I think the sharpness issue was only the corners of the screen due to the nose guard issue. If you can adjust to see the full screen it should be as sharp as this technology normally is which really needs to be seen to be believed almost how sharp it is.

I wonder if they changed the nose guard with our shipment? I didn’t hear about people just adjusting it to be able to see the full screen which I was able to do as well. 

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think the sharpness issue was only the corners of the screen due to the nose guard issue. If you can adjust to see the full screen it should be as sharp as this technology normally is which really needs to be seen to be believed almost how sharp it is.

I wonder if they changed the nose guard with our shipment? I didn’t hear about people just adjusting it to be able to see the full screen which I was able to do as well. 

Yeah maybe the old nose guards were a lot stiffer and harder to adjust? With mine, I just used my fingers and pressed them out and that was it. 

For the sharpness, I had pretty high hopes for these glasses given the cost, and at least so far they've been far exceeded. 

• Hype 1

That's awesome to hear! Also, try removing the nose guard completely. It's very comfortable without it lines up perfect for me. 

I think the blury edges are only a thing when people use the myopia adjustment. From what I gather, it's caused by a natural aspect of lense correction and the edges are always blurry. We just don't notice it with glasses because we move our head to see things instead of our eyes. 

• Halal 1

Making this post from my glasses using my laptop. :dancing: I'm definitely noticing a bit more blurriness around the edges with text; small text is a little hard to read if it's not dead center. I might just need to tweak the diopters some more (I did the "one eye at a time" calibration thing) or remove the nosepiece entirely like @Rev suggested, but it's overall still very usable. I think the glasses are absolutely good enough that I could do some programming or write a document on them, for example. 

Also, there is a slight bit of warmness in the part of the glasses that touches my forehead, but it's no big deal at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

Making this post from my glasses using my laptop. :dancing: I'm definitely noticing a bit more blurriness around the edges with text; small text is a little hard to read if it's not dead center. I might just need to tweak the diopters some more (I did the "one eye at a time" calibration thing) or remove the nosepiece entirely like @Rev suggested, but it's overall still very usable. I think the glasses are absolutely good enough that I could do some programming or write a document on them, for example. 

Also, there is a slight bit of warmness in the part of the glasses that touches my forehead, but it's no big deal at all. 

I tweaked my diopter settings with the Steam client up because it puts a bunch of small text on the far lefthand side (the game list) and I got it to where I can read stuff off center quite well now. It took awhile and also I also push the nose guard almost all the way out - removing it makes sense because if you get used to that it would be ideal.

• Halal 1

I really shouldn't have bought the wireless adapter, apparently. It not only delayed my shipment by weeks but it also doesn't even work with my phone (Pixel 6). Apparently the streaming standard "Miracast" is what the wireless adapter uses, and according to the Wikipedia page for Miracast, Google dropped support for Miracast in Android around 2015 in favor of Google Cast, their own streaming standard (which powers e.g. Chromecasts). 

I see there are some Miracast apps available for Android but so far all of the ones I'm seeing have pretty terrible reviews in Google Play. I'll have to keep poking around. 

On the flipside, I do have a slightly older Samsung Galaxy tablet (S5e) that I connected the glasses to and it worked beautifully with DeX. I was able to watch some Netflix (hooray HDCP support)! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I really shouldn't have bought the wireless adapter, apparently. It not only delayed my shipment by weeks but it also doesn't even work with my phone (Pixel 6). Apparently the streaming standard "Miracast" is what the wireless adapter uses, and according to the Wikipedia page for Miracast, Google dropped support for Miracast in Android around 2015 in favor of Google Cast, their own streaming standard (which powers e.g. Chromecasts). 

I see there are some Miracast apps available for Android but so far all of the ones I'm seeing have pretty terrible reviews in Google Play. I'll have to keep poking around. 

On the flipside, I do have a slightly older Samsung Galaxy tablet (S5e) that I connected the glasses to and it worked beautifully with DeX. I was able to watch some Netflix (hooray HDCP support)! 

Dex support for these is a big reason i’m considering to switch from iphone to the fold 5, after being on iphone since the first.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dex support for these is a big reason i’m considering to switch from iphone to the fold 5, after being on iphone since the first.

My last Samsung phone was a really old Galaxy ( S 3, maybe? ) back around 2013 or so that I liked, but it experienced terrible battery degradation after just a year plus all of the bloatware that Samsung put on their phones back then, so I kind of swore off Samsung phones for a long time and my last 3 phones have been Pixels. But I guess I'm comparing them to Samsung of a decade ago, so it's probably time to reevaluate. :p 

The Fold 5 does look nice, and I know the Galaxy S23 is kind of the "gold standard" of the moment, right? 

17 minutes ago, Nokra said:

But I guess I'm comparing them to Samsung of a decade ago, so it's probably time to reevaluate. :p 

I've had an S3, S4, Note 4, S7, S10+, and now an S23 Ultra. By the S7 the Samsung skin was significantly better and by the S10+ it was night and day from the last time you dealt with a Samsung phone. I think there's more bloat from Verizon than Samsung at this point and most of it is able to be uninstalled (a handful of items can only be disabled via the phone, you can remove them entirely via adb though, I don't do that because I'm skittish about it fucking up a system update somehow even though that apparently hasn't been an issue in ages).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nokra said:

My last Samsung phone was a really old Galaxy ( S 3, maybe? ) back around 2013 or so that I liked, but it experienced terrible battery degradation after just a year plus all of the bloatware that Samsung put on their phones back then, so I kind of swore off Samsung phones for a long time and my last 3 phones have been Pixels. But I guess I'm comparing them to Samsung of a decade ago, so it's probably time to reevaluate. :p 

The Fold 5 does look nice, and I know the Galaxy S23 is kind of the "gold standard" of the moment, right? 

I believe so, I’m pretty sure they are in general in another league with their phones compared to a decade ago. I think the fold5 is going to destroy that pixel one that just came out.

I’d really rather just stick with the same ecosystem forever for my phone but since the IphoneX I feel like Apple has kinds given up. They don’t seem interested in innovating with anything new nor interested in copying other companies that are. I’m on a iphone12 now and there was a time that I would get the new iphone almost every year, it was like the main thing that I had to have. Now I can’t think of anything more boring than getting a new iphone.

I should wait to see what the iphone15 is maybe but, let me take a wild guess, it has a slightly better processor and better cameras?

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Dex is pretty amazing and I love my gs21. Are you planning to get the Apple XR device though? The iphone might be uniquely supported by it. 

I’d consider it but it is more for the novelty to try it out, I don’t think Im interested enough in that to have it dictate my phone choice though, at least not this current one. If it was designed to wear in public I’d feel differently but right now all Im getting is that it’s about the same as the Quest Pro and Q3, color psssthrough AR you can incorporate your living areas into.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’d consider it but it is more for the novelty to try it out, I don’t think Im interested enough in that to have it dictate my phone choice though, at least not this current one. If it was designed to wear in public I’d feel differently but right now all Im getting is that it’s about the same as the Quest Pro and Q3, color psssthrough AR you can incorporate your living areas into.

Yeah I agree. I'd love to have it but it's *way* too expensive to justify. 

• 6 months later...

Since I haven't been able to justify getting an OLED Steam Deck but have heard I believe @stepee saying how great Ori: And the Blind Forest was on it, I instead popped on my Rokid Max glasses for that OLED experience (I'll try it on my LG G3 later :p ).

It was definitely not disappointing! The game really looks great on these glasses; the colors are fantastic!

31 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Since I haven't been able to justify getting an OLED Steam Deck but have heard I believe @stepee saying how great Ori: And the Blind Forest was on it, I instead popped on my Rokid Max glasses for that OLED experience (I'll try it on my LG G3 later :p ).

It was definitely not disappointing! The game really looks great on these glasses; the colors are fantastic!

Yeah you don’t get the hdr of course but you get very nice colors at least using the rokid still! It definitely is a huge upgrade over the lcd deck display.

• Halal 1

I had to get an oil change for my car and decided to wait it out in their lounge. Brought my glasses with my new iPhone 15 I was able to watch my digital copy of Across the Spider-Verse on my Rokid Max for the 40-45min I waited. The picture looked stunning even with the protective cover/shades removed. I wish I could take more advantage of these glasses more often, cause they rock.

• Hype 1