NAACP issues travel advisory for Florida

Absolutely fair.

The formal travel notice states, "Florida is openly hostile toward African Americans, people of color and LGBTQ+ individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the state of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of, and the challenges faced by African Americans and other communities of color."

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, unogueen said:

Travel advisory in your own country.

Better than it once was but still not great.  At least we don't have proud sundown towns anymore, though it's a big country with a lot of trash in it, I wouldn't doubt to find out one or two still exist.

I am curious how all of the terrible news coming out of Florida is affecting tourism to the state. For the longest time Florida had the reputation of being a fun place to visit but not necessarily the best place to live, but now many are fearing stepping one foot here.

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:

I am curious how all of the terrible news coming out of Florida is affecting tourism to the state. For the longest time Florida had the reputation of being a fun place to visit but not necessarily the best place to live, but now many are fearing stepping one foot here.

I don't know, Miami still has a big gay scene, Disney has been trying to distance themselves as much as possible from everything, and the kind of people that vacation in Daytona or the panhandle probably don't give two shits.

Travel advisories are political, always and forever. The nominal risk of dangerous treatment for any member of a minority group in Florida is marginally different than California, as an example. 

You can quite safely spend a week and many thousands at Disney World or Universal as you please.

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Travel advisories are political, always and forever. The nominal risk of dangerous treatment for any member of a minority group in Florida is marginally different than California, as an example. 

You can quite safely spend a week and many thousands at Disney World or Universal as you please.

I dunno I receive much different treatment here than I did when I lived in the DC area.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know, Miami still has a big gay scene, Disney has been trying to distance themselves as much as possible from everything, and the kind of people that vacation in Daytona or the panhandle probably don't give two shits.

A huge gay scene isn’t really gonna protect you from a police force that now has a slew of new anti LGBT laws that they will feel emboldened to enforce. Cities with huge minority populations still have issues with racist law enforcement.

• True 1

4200.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Governor’s incentive scheme recruits officers with history of excessive violence or who have been arrested since signing up

Florida is actively recruiting violent officers who have been fired from other states. So while there may be a political element to putting out such a statement, it’s also practical advice. This state is becoming more and more extreme at an alarming rate.

Tampa is cancelling all their pride events next month due to retaliation from the state, so sure, let's talk about how this is a purely political statement.

So many people here are scared and you have to be sheltered as to think there is no danger of coming here if you're trans. I've been talking to tons of other trans people in other online communities I'm part of and so many are actively working on moving out of red states right now. There is an actual migration of minority groups fleeing increasingly oppressive states. How do people not realize what's happening?

• True 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 3

20 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Tampa is cancelling all their pride events next month due to retaliation from the state, so sure, let's talk about how this is a purely political statement.

So many people here are scared and you have to be sheltered as to think there is no danger of coming here if you're trans. I've been talking to tons of other trans people in other online communities I'm part of and so many are actively working on moving out of red states right now. There is an actual migration of minority groups fleeing increasingly oppressive states. How do people not realize what's happening?

It’s heartbreaking.

12 hours ago, unogueen said:

I'm not blaming LGBT. But wagging your finger isn't going to cut it. The politics of shame died a good lon g while ago and people need to re-evaluate.

10 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

ok

43 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

ice cream nom GIF