System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition - "First Look" trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition - "First Look" trailer

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition was created with the goal of reverse engineering the original code to port SS2 to the KEX Engine and made available on next-generation consoles for the first time.

All cinematics, textures, characters and weapon models have been updated, and the Co-Op Multiplayer has been overhauled to create a seamless experience.

I mean with that in mind it looks fine, still trueish, to the original while being a bit more compatible for modern systems. This is how most Nightdive Studios games are.

After stuff like Dead Space, RE 2 - 4... I don't know what the point of something like this is. It's not just a re-release with AI upscaling, like @legend called out, and it's not a true remake either. If there's anyone out there who wants to play SS2 but hasn't because the game is "old," just making it a bit prettier isn't going to make the gameplay anymore accessible or modern. And for someone who's played it a bunch and likes it, it just looks low effort compered to other, recent remakes.

I don't really know who this is for.

But hey maybe this coming out will finally make people realize that Ken Levine has only ever really had one good idea. :p

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

After stuff like Dead Space, RE 2 - 4... I don't know what the point of something like this is. It's not just a re-release with AI upscaling, like @legend called out, and it's not a true remake either.

That's because it's the "enhanced edition" basically a slightly improved version of the original game. These are pretty common on the PC, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc. Like I said other Nightdive games are like this like the recent Shadow Man remaster, Powerslave, Blade Runner. The idea is to have it most like the original not do a total overhaul of the game.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's because it's the "enhanced edition" basically a slightly improved version of the original game. These are pretty common on the PC, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc. Like I said other Nightdive games are like this like the recent Shadow Man remaster, Powerslave, Blade Runner. The idea is to have it most like the original not do a total overhaul of the game.

I've played the BG remakes and while they fix bug and add new content, they feel like less of a middle ground than this does. Maybe I'm reading the vibes wrong, who knows.

I haven’t tried in the better part of a decade, does sSystem Shock 2 even work half decently on a modern OS or do you have to tinker with it?  I remember getting Deus Ex to run was a weird headache of running at the size of a postage stamp or running at some absurd speed that broke everything.

8 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I haven’t tried in the better part of a decade, does sSystem Shock 2 even work half decently on a modern OS or do you have to tinker with it?  I remember getting Deus Ex to run was a weird headache of running at the size of a postage stamp or running at some absurd speed that broke everything.

I believe it either requires some tinkering or using a special tool.

Nightdive Studios' System Shock 1: Enhanced Edition from 2015 got pretty good reviews going off of Metacritic. 

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/system-shock-enhanced-edition

I assume despite Nightdive being pretty up and down in terms of quality on their many remasters and enhanced editions, I imagine the upcoming System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition will be about on par, if not better, than their System Shock 1 enhanced edition.

Now, their System Shock 1 remake that's about to drop, I hope it turns out well for them, but that's totally different than just doing these enhanced editions. I imagine it helped to do the enhanced edition of the first game before now remaking it fully though, so that's something.

Outside of general praise, the #1 thing I hear about System Shock is what a pain in the ass it is to play due to extremely archaic systems. Just... getting it working with minimal effort on modern systems isn't exactly selling me on the concept. I've got no problem tinkering a bit to get an old game working. But shelling out money for someone else to have done that tinkering for me just seems like a waste of time if the game still plays poorly.