Google's "Godfather of A.I." departs from the company in order to "freely speak" about its societal risks

01AI-HINTON-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

For half a century, Geoffrey Hinton nurtured the technology at the heart of chatbots like ChatGPT. Now he worries it will cause serious harm.

Geoffrey Hinton was an artificial intelligence pioneer. In 2012, Dr. Hinton and two of his graduate students at the University of Toronto created technology that became the intellectual foundation for the A.I. systems that the tech industry’s biggest companies believe is a key to their future.

On Monday, however, he officially joined a growing chorus of critics who say those companies are racing toward danger with their aggressive campaign to create products based on generative artificial intelligence, the technology that powers popular chatbots like ChatGPT.

Dr. Hinton said he has quit his job at Google, where he has worked for more than a decade and became one of the most respected voices in the field, so he can freely speak out about the risks of A.I. A part of him, he said, now regrets his life’s work.

“I console myself with the normal excuse: If I hadn’t done it, somebody else would have,” Dr. Hinton said during a lengthy interview last week in the dining room of his home in Toronto, a short walk from where he and his students made their breakthrough.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Google's "Godfather of A.I." departs from the company in order to "freely speak" about its societal risks
16 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I sure wonder what the risks he's worried about are.

These chatbot AIs are only as good as the data that feeds them and there's far too much data for any of it to be monitored by humans. This isn't about Microsoft's Tay becoming a Nazi, but about other AI chatbots becoming megaphones for active disinformation campaigns. Imagine the next COVID where everyone goes to ChatGPT to get info on the next vaccine. Google has had their own version of ChatGPT for a while, but was too scared of the inaccuracy of the information presented in such a confident manner. OpenAI, instead, just YOLO'ed onto the scene.

• Halal 2

From the sounds of it he's mostly worried about more grounded issues like misinformation, propaganda, and irresponsible or malicious actors using AI.

These are appropriate concerns and Google is a bad place to be if you care about those things (or you'll just get fired.)

15 minutes ago, legend said:

From the sounds of it he's mostly worried about more grounded issues like misinformation, propaganda, and irresponsible or malicious actors using AI.

These are appropriate concerns and Google is a bad place to be if you care about those things (or you'll just get fired.)

It’s always the humans, chapter: infinity 

• True 1
  • Halal 1