Update: Steam desktop client UI update released for everyone

Commissar SFLUFAN

3bde27bbcccbe4ed48688ab41e8984fdbd77bf7f
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Steam Client Beta has just been updated with new features and improvements

Big changes under the hood...
Some of the biggest changes in this update aren’t immediately visible; much of the work went into changing how we share code across the Steam Desktop Client, Big Picture mode, and Steam Deck. These changes also mean a quicker implementation and iteration of new features. One example of this is the new Local Network Transfer update, which shipped simultaneously in the Steam Client and Steam Deck.

And small changes everywhere else
This update also brings targeted visual and usability improvements across Steam - we've gone through and updated dialogs, menus, fonts, and colors. The main Steam header, Settings, and the game server browser are just a few examples of spots with refreshed UI.

In-Game Overlay
We’ve overhauled the In-Game Overlay completely. Originally created to be a quick way to chat with friends or check on game-related questions or content, we’ve built a brand-new user interface, adding new utility and allowing for more customizability.

7416b54899d77831ea715537916b90e177e7e56f

The new toolbar gives you access to anything you may need in the middle of a game – friends chat, achievements progress, guides, discussions, a browser, and more. We've picked a couple windows by default, and you can pick and personalize the pieces of content you’d like to see in your overlay - settings are saved between games. This toolbar can be switched between an icon view and a list view in Settings.

2d139b6d7dc5e801c0c4e5ecff4b48d3cad676b9

The Game Overview is your one-stop shop to see what’s going on with the game since you last played it. For example, it shows what achievements you have in progress, which friends are playing the same game, top guides, news, and more.

10b2609c2afd1a08e9d37d44b3a5b7fe6919c6b2

The new Notes app lets you jot down... notes about the game that you’re currently playing. It comes with rich text formatting, the ability to have multiple notes per game, and can even be used in offline mode. These notes are saved per game and are synced across to any other PCs you are logged into, and are also accessible outside the in-game overlay, on the game details page.

b11401f1057a23a4c63b26846b854c702867b926

We've also added the ability to pin windows from the overlay, so that they can appear on top of the game while in-game. Opacity level is adjustable, and only the contents of the window will be pinned - excluding the title bar and other extraneous UI. This new functionality is available for Notes, Guides, Discussions, and the web browser (yes, you can watch movies while you play games if you really want to).

73f6ea6dd72d1eaf59216e96b3569c6deba99d7e

Notifications
Steam Client notifications are now richer and more useful. The green button only lights up when there's truly something new for you. The tray view is limited to new notifications, and there's a "View all" page with a historical view.

53909d41c5ff7ce1a463bba9a616cd31329ca7c5

Screenshot Manager
The screenshot manager has been completely refreshed - it's responsive, you can choose from large or small thumbnails, view recent screenshots rather than by game, and you can manage online screenshots as well as local screenshots.

6a226fca0cbb390690f9505a5f0d52ad0398594e

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Valve releases significant Steam desktop client update with LOTS of UI enhancements (currently for beta client users)

I don't know about y'all, but I'd like to personally thank Tim Epic for this Steam client update. Without the fierce competition from the Epic Games Store, Valve would have let their client stagnate and just ride on their first-mover marketshare.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

The notes and pinning alone are huge to me. Notes are obvious but there are also less obvious uses for them since they save and are synced. For example, if you're playing a longer game and feel yourself losing interest but know you'll be back later, I like to jot down notes on the basics of how to play, what I'm doing, what my goals are, what the items in my inventory do, and why these things are important, so that when I come back I'm not overwhelmed with no direction and a bunch of shit I have to relearn.

Being able to pin any of this stuff onto the game while you play has so many potential uses that it's actually kind of overwhelming. I dunno how many will be practically useful, but I love the concept!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The notes and pinning alone are huge to me. Notes are obvious but there are also less obvious uses for them since they save and are synced. For example, if you're playing a longer game and feel yourself losing interest but know you'll be back later, I like to jot down notes on the basics of how to play, what I'm doing, what my goals are, what the items in my inventory do, and why these things are important, so that when I come back I'm not overwhelmed with no direction and a bunch of shit I have to relearn.

Being able to pin any of this stuff onto the game while you play has so many potential uses that it's actually kind of overwhelming. I dunno how many will be practically useful, but I love the concept!

There were games I needed to take notes, I'd open the web browser and go to an online notepad. This sounds much more convenient and you don't have to keep shift tabbing to see the notes.

#itsjustalauncher

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Steam desktop client UI update released for everyone